‘iTunes Store’ down for maintenance | iLounge News

‘iTunes Store’ down for maintenance

image

Apple has taken the iTunes Music Store offline ahead of today’s special “Showtime” event in San Francisco. When connecting to the store, users are met with the message: “It’s Showtime. The iTunes Store is being updated.” Interestingly, the word “Music” has been omitted from the name. Apple is widely expected to announce full-length movie downloads today at the event.

« Harman Kardon launches new iPod gear

Sound Leisure intros Xi Jukebox for iPod »

Comments

Good point, I didn’t notice that they omitted the word Music. A movie download service has got to be on of the announcements. I can’t wait; hopefully its available in Norway!

Posted by Graeme Smith on September 12, 2006 at 9:14 AM (CDT)

Check out the left hand side of this link, under “iTunes videos”

2 leaks from the Scandinavian sites in the last week?

Posted by Spence on September 12, 2006 at 9:23 AM (CDT)

Forget the Scandinavian comment. Just realised .de is for the German site, not Denmark!

Posted by Spence on September 12, 2006 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

#2. Could be, but the links contain the words Movie Trailers so they’re probably, erm, Trailers :)

Posted by Dennis on September 12, 2006 at 9:29 AM (CDT)

Normally I’m crazy excited when there’s a new Apple announcement, but today I’m kinda irritated - the deluxe, iTunes only version of my favourite band’s new album is out today. It should actually have been out yesterday, but of course iTunes updates on Tuesday.

So I tried to be patient yesterday. First thing this morning (I’m in the UK), I logged on. I’ve now been trying to get my hands on it for the past six hours without success because of the changes to the store formally known as iTunes Music. Sigh - why did they have to pick today to do the upgrade? And could they please hurry up? :)

Being serious - does anyone know when the store is likely to be open for business again?

Posted by Readie on September 12, 2006 at 9:34 AM (CDT)

Readie, I’m gonna say sometime after 10 AM PST.  Once Steve Job’s Keynote has taken place.  I can’t wait!

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 12, 2006 at 9:40 AM (CDT)

maybe it’ll be a live unveiling of the new itunes store like a movie premiere lol… “Its Showtime”!

Posted by jeff modell on September 12, 2006 at 9:42 AM (CDT)

Always exited when apple offers more versions of i-tunes-i-photo etc.  lways dissappointed when i find that they are unadvailable here in Portugal. FORGET improving software, apple needs to improve its global coverage

Posted by kevin knight on September 12, 2006 at 9:52 AM (CDT)

Anyone know if there’s a live feed of the “festivities”?

Posted by Laer on September 12, 2006 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

I’m with Readie. I’m trying to download that same deluxe album too! I at least have the physical pre-order and free live acoustic to tide me over. It’s great there is an update, but man, I thought I had my morning planned…

Posted by Stu on September 12, 2006 at 10:31 AM (CDT)

Posted by Dee on September 12, 2006 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

Readie, if you’re talking about the Barenaked Ladies, I got it last week through some glitch in the iTunes store. It was a strange, and wonderful, coincidence.

Posted by Jeff Martin on September 12, 2006 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

on the Today show they just said that today Apple will be launching its online video downloads.  They didn’t say it was a rumor.

Posted by jbhenderson on September 12, 2006 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

MatrixSJD - thanks for the estimated time. I’m gonna hit Google to find a world clock so I can see the seconds tick down!

Stu - hey, a fellow BNL fan! How cool to bump into one another here while we both bemoan the update :) Can you believe they picked BLAM release day to make the announcement? No fair!

Ah, you’re lucky to have the physical version of Barenaked Ladies Are Me - are you enjoying it? I was lucky enough to get the acoustic CD a few weeks back at the listening party in London, but now I want me the studio version! And Barenaked Ladies Are Men! And the bonus tracks! Dammit, Steve Jobs, get a move on :)

Which tracks are your favourites at the moment?

(With apologies to everyone else for turning this into a band-specific thread, but with the hope that you can understand our pain).

Posted by Readie on September 12, 2006 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

Jeff Martin - ah, a beneficiary of the now famous BNL iTunes glitch! How cool! Sadly, I don’t think that glitch occured in the UK store. I completely agree with Kevin Knight that Apple has got to work on making iTunes the same store worldwide - not just with the glitches, but with all the other features :)

Posted by Readie on September 12, 2006 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

Where did u find that picture Dee?

Posted by gdfan53 on September 12, 2006 at 11:12 AM (CDT)

According to this website, http://avzombie.com/blog/2006/09/12/apple-to-announce-showtime-itunes-tv-solution/
this is whats gonna happen… Its a PC -2- TV solution.

“Later today, Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs is expected to announce a PC-2-TV solution, dubbed Showtime, which will use wi-fi to transmit movie material downloaded from iTunes to a living room TV.
DRM-laced technology been designed to sidestep objections from Hollywood concerning copyright protection. The announcement is expected to be Appleā€™s first real attempt to enter the media centre PC market. Simultaneously, Disney (of which Jobs is the largest single shareholder) is expected to announce a content distribution deal with iTunes.”

Posted by 911joe on September 12, 2006 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

Readie: I like Sound of Your Voice, Bull in a China Shop, and Maybe You’re Right at the moment. Easy and Wind it up are pretty good too. This album reminds me of Maroon, though the cover says: Most Melodic Album since stunt. It doesn’t have a “stunt” feel to me though.

Here’s hoping to some awesome updates to make us having to wait for the Bonus Tracks and Barenaked Ladies are Men…

Posted by Stu on September 12, 2006 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

@kevin knight: escreve-se iTunes, iPhoto, iPod, etc… ;)

Posted by Mainyehc in Lisbon, Portugal on September 12, 2006 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

And yep, I’m with my fellow portuguese, european, australian (etc.) Apple users out there… Apple should work on their international presence. Btw, did you know that Apple doesn’t even have its own subsidiary here in Portugal? Just an IMC company which imports its products, which in turn always arrive awfully late! :(

Posted by Mainyehc in Lisbon, Portugal on September 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM (CDT)