iTunes Store gets ‘Complete My Album’ feature | iLounge News

iTunes Store gets ‘Complete My Album’ feature

image

Apple today announced Complete My Album, a new iTunes Store feature that allows customers who have purchased individual tracks on an album to buy the full album at a reduced price. “Complete My Album offers customers up to 180 days after first purchasing individual songs from any qualifying album to purchase the rest of that album at a reduced price,” explains Apple. “When users buy any song on iTunes the corresponding album will immediately appear on their personalized Complete My Album page with the reduced price listed. For example, a user who’s already purchased three 99 cent singles and decides to buy the corresponding $9.99 album would be able to download the remaining songs to complete the album for just $7.02, without having to buy the singles again.”

« DLO ships new TransDock with video-output

Analyst: iPod sales down slightly in February »

Comments

Awesome. Twice or three times, I’ve downloaded the free single of the week and liked it so much that I wanted the rest of the album.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on March 29, 2007 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

awesome.  i’ve been waiting for this feature.  i usually buy full albums but on the occasions that i haven’t, this is great.  i’m also really glad that previous purchases are eligible, instead of just starting with songs purchased after the program began.  know what i mean?

Posted by Jacob Anderson on March 29, 2007 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

Any tested to see if you spend more then 9.99 on single tracks from a n album it gives you a refund button? What they need is a my compilation albums, if you bought a track from a compilation album, then it should have a record of it and discount the album sale.

Posted by SId32 on March 29, 2007 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

I noticed this new feature before work this morning and I was pumped.  I like it because now if I receive free song downloads through a promotion (like ticketmaster is running right now) it’s like a discount off an album.  Usually if I receive a free song for something I find a random one hit wonder to download.  I strongly believe in buying full albums rather than pieces of an album.  Now I can get something I really want and get the album for less expensive!

Posted by mc123 on March 29, 2007 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

This is such a cool feature for so many reasons. Way to Apple. You definitely nailed it with this one!

Posted by urbanslaughter on March 29, 2007 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

Of course, that’s supposed to read, “way to GO Apple” . . . Duh.

Posted by urbanslaughter on March 29, 2007 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Just discovered one minor drawback of this feature. Now if you go to a song you’ve previously purchased on iTunes, you can’t hear that sample. This is sort of a pain for me since I keep my music collection on my desktop and not on my laptop. Now, when I use my laptop, I can’t here the songs that I own. Not a huge deal, but still, sort of a pain.

Posted by urbanslaughter on March 29, 2007 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Wow, I just checked this new feature out and love it.  I have a lot of albums where I just bought a couple of songs, but want the rest without paying the full price.

I’m thinking this is going to do wonders for full album sales.

Good job, Apple.

Posted by shadyglow on March 29, 2007 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Question:

Does iTunes allow you to redownload the track that you purchased before?  Because some of these “Complete My Album” albums that are on my list, I bought the single version…

Posted by shadyglow on March 29, 2007 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Urbanslaughter, that’s only in the “Complete the Album” view…you can still listen to it on the album’s full purchase page.

Posted by Jeff Martin on March 29, 2007 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

But what about the instances where you would’ve bought the album, but now just buy the single because there’s no incentive to buy the album to get the discount.  If you listen to the single(s) a few times and tire of it/them before you buy the album, Apple has lost revenue (but may have a happier customer).

Posted by jpa2825 on March 29, 2007 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

I have been playing with this feature today. Its O.K.. Buyer beware there are MANY instances where there is NO savings at all. I.E. each song is still $0.99. Also its been showing many odd things for my account. For example. Listing albums twice with different indications for which songs I have bought. Album A: says I have all but 2 songs. Album B: Says I have those 2 songs but not the others. Album A is the same as Album B. Before you buy using this method look carefully and do the math.

Posted by rand on March 29, 2007 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

That’s great, but where is the “Complete my TV Show Season” option?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 29, 2007 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

This is nothing but good news for consumers. I really hope a similar feature is eventually added for seasons of TV shows.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on March 29, 2007 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

of course, with this database of all the songs everyone has already purchased, nothing should now stand in the way of Apple allowing an individual who lost all of their purchased content to re-download it for free, right?

Posted by Jacob Anderson on March 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

So now given the choice between the single version and album version of the song, you now need to get the single version to not get jacked later. Interesting.

Posted by superape on March 29, 2007 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

Well it sure would be nice if they sold complete albums instead of all the partial albums they list what the hell is up with that anyway???

Posted by a3rdleg on March 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

This is an AWESOME feature. There really is no downside to it.

@ a3rdleg:  That’s a question you should be asking the record lables (and the artists that they represent), NOT Apple. I’m sure if it was up to Apple they would make available every known song to man because in the long scheme of things it only helps Apple to have the largest database of recorded media available for purchase.

Posted by DM833 on March 29, 2007 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

Jacob, Apple has always had a record of your purchases. They don’t provide free downloads of entire collections for bandwidth reasons. Take some responsibility and back up.

That being said, should a massive failure leave one “songless” apple has been known to reset your account and allow you to redownload your music. But only once in a year, and you have to ask very nicely.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on March 29, 2007 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

Wonder how much covert pressure the RIAA was putting on Apple to do something. The music moguls have stated in the past that they didn’t like Apple’s single-song pricing model, and I seem to recall one exec saying that Apple should push selling complete albums instead of individual songs (although his ‘technique’ in achieving this was by jacking up the single song price).

At any rate, seems someone is keenly interested in unloading copies of sundry album filler on a unsuspecting and apparently grateful public, if the previous posts in this thread are any sort of indicator.

Posted by flatline response on March 29, 2007 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >