iTunes Store shifts song prices, many $1.29, few $0.69 tracks [updated]
As expected, Apple today changed the pricing scheme for individual songs sold through the iTunes Store, with some tracks increasing in price to $1.29, and others dropping in price to $0.69. This change comes in conjunction with the store making a move to an almost completely DRM-free catalog of iTunes Plus offerings; some DRM-locked music files—including some music videos—still remain in the Store, while others have disappeared entirely.
Though both Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Vice-President Phil Schiller claimed in January that “more songs are going to be offered at $0.69 than at $1.29,” there is very little evidence of $0.69 pricing in the iTunes Store, with a considerable number of $1.29 tracks now on offer. As of press time, the pricing changes have resulted in half of the top ten and 29 of the top 100 overall song downloads increasing in price to $1.29. Additionally, individual genres’ top 100 lists ranged from 46 $1.29 songs in the Hip-Hop/Rap top 100 list, 31 of the top R&B/Soul 100, 30 of the top 100 Pop songs, 28 of 100 Rock, and 26 of 100 Country, to none at all in Children’s Music, Christian & Gospel, Electronic, Singer/Songwriter, or World Music. Notably, prices have been raised on a number of older tracks, such as Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Everlong” by the Foo Fighters, and “Blue (Da Ba Dee)” by Eiffel 65, while the entirety of the New Kids on the Block, Tiffany, and Vanilla Ice catalogs remain available for $0.99 rather than offering discounts.
Update: Continued fluctuations in song pricing are leading to unusual changes in both the top 100’s price lists and the pricing for individual songs. In re-checking the Store’s lists over the course of an hour, we noticed that the number of $1.29 songs in the top 100 had increased from 29 to 46, and then on a refresh, dropped back to 29, then gone up to 33. While some of the changes are attributable to different songs appearing and disappearing on the list, we discovered tracks such as Bad Girlfriend from Theory of a Deadman that are shifting back and forth from $0.99 to $1.29, sometimes appearing in iTunes as one price or the other. Clicking on the track reveals a notice that the top 100’s $0.99 pricing is inaccurate, and has been replaced by a higher $1.29 price. It remains to be seen how many tracks will see quiet price changes on a day-to-day or more frequent basis under the new song pricing structure.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?