iTunes Store’s ‘Complete My Album’ feature boosting sales
The iTunes Store’s “Complete My Album” feature, which allows users who purchase individual or pre-release tracks to get the rest of the album at a prorated price, is helping to convert these individual track purchases into full album sales. According to the New York Times, Apple has seen conversion rates of around 10 percent since the feature was launched in March of 2007, but lately that number has jumped thanks to artists and labels using the feature as a promotional tool, encouraging its use through iTunes profiles, MySpace pages, and personal websites. The article points to Lil Wayne’s album “Tha Carter III” as an example. Universal Mowtown made six of the album’s 18 tracks available for download in the months leading up to the album’s release, and despite the album being illegally leaked online, it sold more than one million copies its first week. Ten percent of sales were digital, up from one percent for past Lil Wayne releases, and fifty-two percent of the album’s sales on iTunes came via the Complete My Album feature.
“For artists that have multiple tracks out, if the album is solid and there’s an offer that makes sense to consumers, they will use it,” Universal Motown senior vice president of digital business development Cameo Carlson said, adding that evidence of the Complete My Album’s ability to convert pre-album sales to post-release purchases is a major factor behind the appearance of more pre-release content. “Traditionally, there’s been some concern about how much content gets out there,” she said. “Complete My Album definitely helps alleviate some of that concern.”
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple struggling to drop price of upcoming streaming music service
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?