iTunes UK, France, Germany: 79 pence, 99 cents per song | iLounge News

iTunes UK, France, Germany: 79 pence, 99 cents per song

In London, England this morning, Apple has announced the immediate availability of the iTunes Music Store for Europe, starting with three territories - the United Kingdom, France, and Germany. With the launch of these new European iTunes stores, Apple now claims to be serving sixty percent of the world’s market for music.

As in the United States, a single per-song rate will apply to downloads. Songs will be available for 79 pence (U.K.) or 99 cents (France and Germany), with most albums at 7.99 pounds (U.K.) or 9.99 euros (France and Germany). Local content will be available in each of the European territories, and a full European Union version of the iTunes Music Store will launch in October.

« Apple: iPod has 50% market share, new accessories soon

Shure E3 Earphones for $135 »

Comments

ok…great news. i am a uk citizen living in belgium. i have a uk credit card…i have itunes on my pc. i am denied access to the music store as i don’t live in the uk (or france, or germany). NICE!!! i have money to spend on itunes music store, with a uk credit card and they don’t want my money….ok apple, see ya.

Posted by midifix on June 15, 2004 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

Why cant we download songs with a 192 bitrate? Its always 128!

Posted by Richard on June 15, 2004 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Service seems to work fine, just finished downloading a heap of tracks.  Dunno why folk are saying it looks worse than the US version because it’s identical in most respects.

Anyone know why some of the artists listed in the brows music section have no tracks listed?  Quite annoying to see one of your fav artists only to find there’s no tracks available to download.

Posted by maximum on June 15, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

as per normal the UK gets the higher price :(

Posted by eyez on June 15, 2004 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Having problems not accepting my switch card, works perfectly well with napster.

Posted by Richard on June 15, 2004 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

79p is cheaper than napster which 1.09 a single track.

Posted by Richard on June 15, 2004 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

Why can’t Apple do everything, simultaneously, the moment I want it, without regard to cost, laws, or companies who own the rights?

PS, MacOSRumors members are reporting that the database is growing by the hour. Not sure if that’s anything to do with the big attack made today on Akamai.

Posted by Nagromme on June 15, 2004 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

had a lookat uk site, never looked at us version. It’s ####. I won’t buy jack from there. stick to physical records. at least you get something rather than a piece of a hard drive.

Posted by monkey on June 15, 2004 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

I’m all for it, but its not working :’(

1) REALLY slow doing ANYTHING that requires it to use my web connection (even though i’m on broadband - and its ONLY affecting iTunes)

2) It keeps rejecting my card - though 2 opther websites today have accepted it fine, and my bank says the card is all OK (Dabit Card: Solo)

Posted by Alex on June 15, 2004 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Midifix, you don’t have to live in the Uk to use iTunes, your UK credit card should be fine, as long as the billing address is in the UK. I have a German credit card but live in Australia, work fine for me.

Posted by DG on June 15, 2004 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

It’s ludicrous that the iTunes store isn’t available in Canada. jeez

Posted by BCcat in Vancouver on June 15, 2004 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

There seems to be a problem with it excepting debit cards, mine wont go through either…. come on apple, FIX IT!!!

Posted by Richard on June 15, 2004 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

The service dosen’t seem to like Switch cards for some reason.  I eventually gave in and put my Mastercard details through and it took them fine.

Must say despite the initial lack of content the store is excellent and easy to use.  If all my fav music were available on iTunes I can’t see myself venturing into a record shop ever again.

After all, in record shops all you do is look at CD case art, on iTunes you get to listen to everything before you purchase.

Posted by maximum on June 15, 2004 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

In reply to Daniel Kennett’s post - I didn’t realise the albums could be purchased in full for 7.99 - my bad!

I still question the value when you can get a full CD with packaging, artwork etc and no limitations for only a pound extra.

I haven’t bought anything yet, but I could see myself purchasing the odd track here and there, but if I wanted an album I would much rather pay the extra pound and get the total package.

I like the celebrity playlists, it seems there are only a few at the moment, I assume a lot of the songs on the playlists Apple don’t have the rights to distribute in Europe yet.

Posted by Moorish on June 16, 2004 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

7.99 an albums in no competition to getting them 2nd hand off Amazon.co.uk.  It’s a great system there - easy, reliable unlike ebay.  And you get better quality audio, on a permanent CD that looks impressive in a huge pile on your shelf.  Also theres the artwork, still readable even if its used.  And if you don’t like it, you can sell it on and get some of your money back, which you can’t do with iTunes.

So I know where I’ll be getting my CDs from.  Amazon.co.uk marketplace!

Posted by Matt on June 16, 2004 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

Its really beginning to p**s me of now.  I’ve emailed them twice about the service not been able to take switch cards (which is what im using to purchase music on napster perfectly) and apple still comented on what the problem is.

Posted by Richard on June 16, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

They should make the quality of the songs 192 bitrate at the very least. why crappy 128?

Posted by Richard on June 16, 2004 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Whilst it wont stop me buying CDS from places like play.com, its gonna be great to hear an album and maybe buy the one good track for 79p..rather than paying 9 for an album full of crap.

Posted by Nicky on June 16, 2004 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Stop moaning people, this is an alternative channel of buying music, the more options the better, if you don’t want to buy anything you always have the old fashioned way of buying music, so do that instead!
The whole mp3 generation and now I-tunes can only be good.

Posted by Johnny Boy on June 30, 2004 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

Oh, and to those that state that buying a CD off someone like Amazon is better…no it isn’t, i-tunes allows you to burn your tunes afterwards as many times as you want anyhow, the only thing you miss is the artwork. If you have friends with similar taste in music, the burning 7 copies from a download is a lot more attractive

Posted by Johnny boy on June 30, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >