iTunes visits surge 413% on Christmas Day | iLounge News

iTunes visits surge 413% on Christmas Day

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, December 27, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

Hitwise today reported that visits to the iTunes website were up 413% on Christmas Day this year versus Christmas Day 2005. The increase is attributed to new iPod owners flocking to Apple’s site to download iTunes. In addition, visits to the online Apple Store showed an increase of 110% when comparing Christmas Day 2006 to the previous year. The Apple Store was the fourth most visited website in the Hitwise Retail Index on Christmas Day 2006.

« New iPod owners, gift cards overwhelm iTunes Store

Model photos of iPod-inspired building revealed »

Comments

I think a lot of that traffic is due to not including a CD with iTunes with many iPods.  Last year, many new iPod owners could install from the CD and never have to visit the website; this year they have to go to the site to download the software.

I’m sure they still had an impressive jump in traffic, but this is a little misleading.

Posted by Pete in VT on December 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I’m not so sure, Pete. I’ve bought 6 iPods for myself and family in the last few years, and any time I’ve installed iTunes from CD, it’s been a point rev or so old, and I’ve hit the web site to update it.

Given the length of time that it takes to download the iTunes software, compared to how long it takes to check out a song or two, I can’t see that the exclusion of the iTunes CD could be responsible for any significant portion of this jump. - Tim

Posted by Tim on December 27, 2006 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

I so agree.  Hubby listened and got me a video ipod for Christmas and it took forever to download itunes (the update because I had a previous version already).  And then half the time I couldn’t buy anything from the store.
Seems to be working better today, either way I really cannot complain.  I love my new toy!!

Posted by Empress4 on December 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

People just lovin’ all that lossy DRMed content…shame…

It’s not just the new iPods that were received for Christmas, but all those iTMS gift cards that were given as gifts to existing iPod users as well.

Posted by flatline response on December 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM (PDT)

got a product red for xmas. love it. din bother to download the itunes from website. caused this is my 7th ipod. did visited a lot of virtual & actual apple sites to search for the perfect scratch proof casing for my new “baby”. haha

Posted by Resuree on December 28, 2006 at 12:19 AM (PDT)

I was trying to download a game the day after x-mas (tuesday) and kept having problems, however, I was able to load Sudoku on Wednesday.  Great game.

Posted by Jamie on December 29, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)