iWay device loads photos from SD card onto iPod | iLounge News

iWay device loads photos from SD card onto iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 3, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

The iWay is a new device that loads digital pictures from SD memory cards to a fifth-generation iPod. “Just plug iWay into your iPod, and gain a portal that lets you instantly upload photos from any standard SD memory card,” says the online store carrying the device. “So you can take your photos anywhere, and share them on the iPod’s larger, brighter screen compared to your camera’s tiny LCD. After uploading, you can either retain the images on the SD card, or ‘erase card’ to free up space for new photos. And you don’t have to lug around your laptop to show off your photographic skills.”
The iWay sells for $70. [via TUAW]

« Apple’s Steve Jobs highest-paid CEO of 2006

Apple in talks with Samsung over large NAND flash purchase »

Comments

$70 seems a little excessive, besides, my camera already has a screen the same size as the iPod video.

Posted by MatrixSJD on May 3, 2007 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Very pricey - especially in comparison to the Apple Camera Connector, which sells for $39 Canadian.  Until they drop their price, I’ll keep using the Camera Connector, the only disadvantage of which is the draining of the camera batteries during the photo transfer.

Posted by oilseeker on May 3, 2007 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

What is really needed is a connector that doesn’t drain the iPod batteries during the transfer.  Transferring 2GB of photos with the Apple Camera Connector is basically too much for the iPod’s battery.

Posted by Greg Glockner on May 3, 2007 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

What a joke, It’s made to put photos on your ipod, but it’s imcompatible with the ipod photo.

Posted by revmike in hanford, ca on May 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t be interested in a device like this until it accepted a few different types of cards.

Posted by Macco on May 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

with 70 dollars how many sd cards can you buy? too expensive

Posted by gonzalo on May 3, 2007 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

Has anybody tried hooking a SD card reader up to the Apple Camera connector?  I use my old iPod 3g with a Belkin Camera connector and a SD card reader.  No need to leave the camera hooked up.

Posted by Statik on May 3, 2007 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

I’ve tried using lots of devices with the Apple Camera Connector, including the memory card reader. It works fine, but the memory card needs to be used with a digital camera or have some folder with only pictures and videos.

Posted by Dan on May 4, 2007 at 4:20 AM (PDT)

I’ve talked for a long time now to friends that I think it’s time to do away with music CDs.
Instead, you buy a new album, and inside is an SD card and you use an adapter to load the album right on to your iPod.
I think this could facilitate a step in that direction.

Posted by TLD on May 4, 2007 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

“...think it’s time to do away with music CDs.”.
I sincerely hope this will never happen. I assume the SD card will carry compressed (lossy) music (to save memory) which means we’ll never be able to get the full high CD quality song from any source.

Posted by Gianluca Macciocca on May 4, 2007 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

With SD (and mini and micro SDs) getting dirt cheap it would make SO much sense for iPods to accept them.  If the music biz is finally ready to move into a DRM free world it would seem like music via card will be in our future - either as bought albums in cases (as suggested above) or by an increase downloading stations/B&M stores.

Posted by superape on May 4, 2007 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

i think the iway is a good idea, except the fact that you have to bring it every where and i am just looking for something that will convert sd videos taken from your camera to go onto itunes for my ipod. so that it will jst be on my ipod just like my pictures that are on my ipod already. well i hope you invent or create such a tool !!!

Posted by meee on July 19, 2007 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

I wonder if this iWay adapter supports 4GB SDHC card?

Posted by Ted on November 25, 2007 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

has anybody used the iway with an iPhone?

Posted by justin on December 3, 2007 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

then of course, if yr ipod is stolen… bye bye photo’s of the last two weeks taken away from the computer…

Posted by mari0 on June 3, 2008 at 9:37 AM (PDT)