Jack in your helmet and hit the slopes | iLounge News

Jack in your helmet and hit the slopes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 8, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

piciLounger Jesse has informed us about snowboard/ski helmets by Giro with built-in headphones and cable for use with iPod. “The Audio Series helmets feature TuneUps earpads, a premium-quality set of specially designed headphones that are built seamlessly into the earpads so you can dial in your favorite sounds anywhere on the hill without the hassels of earbuds or extra cords. Just plug in youyour player and go.” We Googled several online retailers and the Fuse helmet can be had for about $155, the Nine.9 helmet for about $135 and the Nine.9 MX helmet for about $125.

« iTunes sells more than 20 million songs

The Register: iPod Phone Scam Man Arrested »

Comments

i would buy one if they made a bike helmet with iPod controls.

I need a new helmet now, so they better hurry!!

Posted by KyleC on December 8, 2003 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

im not sure if these types of products are a good idea.. i enjoy skiing immensely.. and i think that such a product would take away a lot of safety.. how would this person be able to hear a shout to watch out or something.. and as for this in a bike helmet.. well im not sure where KyleC is from.. but im in Canada.. and here.. that is illegal.. just my 2cents!!! PS.. THIS SITE ROCKS

Posted by scott on December 8, 2003 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

anyone have any news on the release of Burton’s ipod compatible range, more specifically the “amp pack”...I WANT ONE!!!

Posted by Andrew on December 8, 2003 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

Andrew:
Burton Amp Pack
Also search this site for more news…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 8, 2003 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

While it is sad enough that people are forced to use useless headgear for everyday cycling in some countries (just check the physics, this is way OT) I would strongly advise you NOT to use headphones while in traffic or on the open hill. You might be an excellent snowboarder, but the ones you cannot hear might not be.

Posted by Oliver :) on December 8, 2003 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

Um, the physics says that a helmet can save your life. Or perhaps you’re talking about the physics on the moon? wink

Posted by physics guy on December 9, 2003 at 12:14 AM (PDT)

I talked to a rep at Burton and they said that the burton amp stuff was shipping to stores this very moment and should be availbe next week, and possibly this week online :D

Posted by Jtsolo7 on December 9, 2003 at 3:11 AM (PDT)

I was snowboarding today, with my iPod, and had this EXACT idea. Damn, someone is already making it!

I think its a great idea. As for safety, its fine as long as you keep the volume low - you can still here people coming up behind you, yells to “watch out”, etc. Actually, I was boaring with a couple friends and I could hear them perfectly. Its really great boarding with a little background music.

Cheers!

Posted by Brad on December 9, 2003 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

i wonder what the sound is like… i know the helmet is awesome,( i own the nine 9).  they say the sound is good, but i’d like to hear it from someone else too. I can’t imagine the sound can be that great, its only about 40 bucks more than the original helmet.

Posted by Adam Schaffer on December 9, 2003 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

I have the Giro 9 with the speakers and they are excellent. I tend to use it while I am on the lifts and only on the groomers when I am skiing. If I am off piste or on the steeps I like the tunes off so I can concentrate. But they do work well and great for those long chair rides!

Posted by Yogester on December 9, 2003 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

I would love one for my rollerblading helmet smile

Posted by bababooey on December 9, 2003 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

I think anyting ipod is cool and will work and try and buy it, even if it does mean not hearing the warning signs, I mean, that is what it is there for anyway.

Posted by Kent on December 14, 2003 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

helmet with tunes.. hmmm. sounds good. just one question. is the ipod cable jack any different than any other standard headphone jack say on a MD or CD player-
As for the whiners - please keep it to yourself.-mine is on order.

Posted by harry j brazeel on September 25, 2004 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

i think it is unsafe for people to be on the slope with crazy music blowing out thier eardrums. just think if somone were to pull a half cab indy hoochie grab while listening to little jon and the east side boys! The damage could be irreversible. Okaaay!! Yeeeeeaaaaa!!!

Posted by doogan f. marshall on September 25, 2004 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Hey all - The best place i’ve found to get these ski helmets with headphones is at SkiHelmets.com. They’ve got a great selection of the Giro and the Burton models. they even have some of last years models at 50% off! That’s where I got mine!

Ski safe all!

Posted by Matt on October 20, 2004 at 6:45 AM (PDT)