Jailbroken Twitter app challenges App Store rivals | iLounge News

Jailbroken Twitter app challenges App Store rivals

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2009
News Categories: Apps + Games

image

An update to Efiko Software’s iPhone Twitter client qTweeter for jailbroken iPhones has added a new video sharing feature that puts it functionally beyond many of the currently-available, officially-sanctioned Twitter clients in the App Store. qTweeter runs in the background of jailbroken iPhones, letting users slide their finger down from the status area to tweet or update their Facebook status. New in version 2.0, however, is the ability to share video recorded using the iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS, a feat the developer claims App Store apps “will never be able to accomplish.” qTweeter is available now as a free download from the Cydia download repository.

« Kensington unveils Nightstand Charging Dock for iPhone

App Mix: SI Swimsuit, Treasure Grab, HotelPal, Layers »

Comments

I thought twitterlator pro did video sharing

Posted by blackforce on July 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

qTweeter is available as a free TRIAL.  after a bit, they REQUIRE you to “donate” to keep using it.. which is pretty BS. either ask for a donation or make it a paid app…  requiring a donation is pretty lame. and lost some respect points.

Posted by Sam on July 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

@blackforce

Yes, App Store Twitter apps can video sharing, but only on the iPhone 3GS. qTweeter can also share videos on the original iPhone and iPhone 3G. I honestly expected qTweeter to crash when I tried the “Add video” button for the first time on my 3G, but it automatically loaded Cycorder (another jailbreak app) and uploaded a video to TwitVid easily. I’m not sure what qTweeter will do if you don’t have Cycorder installed or if it can use other jailbreak apps like VideoRecorder3G.

P.S. Why can I not use iLounge on my home cable connection? I have to tether my iPhone to access iLounge, which is annoying.

Posted by Muero on July 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Video on twitts, what for? You can link to any video in any app.

Landscape Twitting! has FB updates, landscape writting, full screen mode wti fast icons to reply-dm-twitt, groups, in-app web browsing, etc… and is not in your twitter clients analisys.

If it jailbroken is better?

Posted by Kigonjiro on July 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

i use qTweeter every day to simultaneously update my Twitter and Facebook status… I gladly paid for this app, as well as ToneFX also by Efiko…. I really do love their products.. one word: quality.

Posted by dRuEFFECT on July 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

The only thing this has over other Twitter apps is video on 3G.  I don’t get what the big deal is.  Updating Facebook?  Just set your Facebook page to read your Twitter feed.  While I don’t doubt this is a nice app, Twittelator pro has everything this has - it’s not like it’s THAT revolutionary or anything.

Posted by Tom on July 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

It’s revolutionary for those of us without the 3GS who want to tweet video directly from a Twitter app. All of the current Twitter/video options are exclusively for the 3GS crowd. I do agree that the rest isn’t a big deal, although, there are some tweets I don’t want to share with Facebook. So being able to choose on a per tweet basis is a nice option for me.

Posted by Tay on July 24, 2009 at 6:50 PM (PDT)