Japan’s consumer watchdog probes bogus iTunes charges
Japanese authorities plan to summon Apple officials this week over a rash of complaints from iTunes Store customers who have been billed for charges they never made. AFP reports that at least 95 cases involving five major credit card companies have been filed, in which iTunes customers said they had sometimes been charged thousands of dollars. “We have seen such cases increasing, notably since autumn last year,” said an official with Japan’s Consumer Affairs Agency. “The damage in those cases seems to range from a few hundred yen to several hundred thousand yen (from several dollars to several thousand dollars).” The agency official went on to cite the case of one particular woman, “who registered her ID and credit card number on the music download site several years ago but hadn’t used it in recent years received bills of purchases that she wasn’t aware of. The amount of money she was charged over several bills totalled more than 100,000 yen (1,100 dollars).” Japanese industry and communications ministries has also become involved in the probe, and are investigating whether personal data has been stolen.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?