Japan’s consumer watchdog probes bogus iTunes charges
Japanese authorities plan to summon Apple officials this week over a rash of complaints from iTunes Store customers who have been billed for charges they never made. AFP reports that at least 95 cases involving five major credit card companies have been filed, in which iTunes customers said they had sometimes been charged thousands of dollars. “We have seen such cases increasing, notably since autumn last year,” said an official with Japan’s Consumer Affairs Agency. “The damage in those cases seems to range from a few hundred yen to several hundred thousand yen (from several dollars to several thousand dollars).” The agency official went on to cite the case of one particular woman, “who registered her ID and credit card number on the music download site several years ago but hadn’t used it in recent years received bills of purchases that she wasn’t aware of. The amount of money she was charged over several bills totalled more than 100,000 yen (1,100 dollars).” Japanese industry and communications ministries has also become involved in the probe, and are investigating whether personal data has been stolen.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?