JBL On Time speaker system introduced | iLounge News

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, January 9, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

image

image

imageHarman Multimedia has introduced the JBL On Time ($300), a new speaker system and clock radio for iPods.

The On Time, which features a very unique speaker enclosure, includes a radio, clock and dual alarm, universal iPod cradle, and large backlit LCD with automatic dimming. The system’s upward-firing tweeter and horizontal low and midrange transducers provide a 360-degree sound field with a “full, rich frequency response from the lowest bass to the highest highs.”

The On Time also offers a menu-driven user interface, blue dome light, an automatic time-set feature, backup battery, and the ability to charge and sync your iPod. It works with most docking iPods with the Apple iPod Universal Dock adapter. The JBL On Time will be available in white and black versions. Pricing and availability was not announced.

“JBL On Time revolutionizes the way you use your iPod,” says Harman. “A compact, high-performance time machine and sound center, JBL On Time lets you wake up to music stored on your iPod, instead of to annoying buzzers or fuzzy radio reception. Just connect your iPod, MP3 player or other music source to JBL On Time and experience clean, powerful and dynamic sound.”

In related news, Harman said it has decided to update its On Stage II iPod speaker system, and will sell it under the same name as a modified version with support for Apple’s Universal Dock Adapters. Pricing and other features will not change.

« New SNL skits now available on iTunes store

ezGear debuts ezGold Video Cable for iPod 5G »

Comments

In all honesty, why would you want this? This thing is enormous, and why would you take up precious space on your already tiny bedside table for the mammoth hamster wheel that this thing is? When I’m looking for a product to wake me from my deep slumber, I’m not looking for something that features a “full, rich frequency response from the lowest bass to the highest highs.? I need something that sounds relatively good that doesn’t make me think when I’m half-asleep reaching for the snooze button that I’m groping some giant altar to my iPod. Anyway, thanks for listening to the rant.

Posted by Macobyte on January 9, 2006 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

^first of all it doesn’t look THAT ‘enourmous’, secondly some people don’t have a 1ft x 1ft bedside table, thirdly sometimes the clock radio is the only “sound-system” people have in their bedroom, fourthly it looks freakin’ sweet and I want one of them #######!! glad I didn’t get the iHome5!

Posted by battlecat on January 9, 2006 at 11:24 PM (PDT)

I like it too. It’s a unique design and it looks good. Most iPod speaker systems are just rectangular objects painted white. Big deal. This is actually pleasing to the eye.

Also, I believe Kirk and Spock can travel through this into the past and meet Joan Collins.

Posted by Boris34 on January 9, 2006 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

Mmmm, must purchase…

Posted by Rene on January 9, 2006 at 11:54 PM (PDT)

Hey look, an MRI for your iPod.

Posted by flatline response on January 10, 2006 at 1:33 AM (PDT)

That is exactly what I’m looking for; I agree that the design of speakers has been pretty unispiring so far. This looks great. I can’t wait - unfortunately I’m going to have to since I have no idea how long this’ll take to filter through to Europe.

Nearly bought the On Stage II - but it’s not available over here yet and now I’m really glad - I’d have kicked myself.

I wonder how much it’ll retail for and when they’ll put it on the market.

Posted by laughing gravy on January 10, 2006 at 2:29 AM (PDT)

Nice ! I’ll buy one if it’s not too expensive ! smile

Posted by Steph on January 10, 2006 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

I have to say, I’ll be amazed if this thing sells at all. Its friggen massive for a clock radio, looks like something out of an xray laboratory. Looks like its gonna scan my brainwaves as I sleep. I’d hate to see the price on this thing, knowing it will have the ‘ipod surcharge’ as anything apple/ipod related does.

Posted by quatercat on January 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

Why would a tweeter need to be firing upwards?  Methinks they erred a bit here, focusing on looks too much.

It does look interesting…

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 10, 2006 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

I just got the iHome a week ago and it doesn’t have the dual alarm and some other nifty things this has. But this doesn’t seem to come with a remote either (which isn’t a Big deal).
I got mine for $90 with remote after a coupon, but this will probably be $200 knowing JBL

Posted by Jonathan Keim on January 10, 2006 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Now this I would like to get…. IF it’s not to expensive.

The unique styling has iPod written all over it.  I was expecting and waiting for other clocks to appear on the market before I went with iHome and this fits the bill.

It can wake me up and plus serve as a mini music station.

As for the negative comments…

Size - it’s not reall THAT big, there difintely space for it on my nightstand.

Tweeter firing up - Well they don’t necessarily have to be but being it is an alarm clock it’s the best direction for them.  Since the frequency range of tweeters are direction, you don’t want them facing towards the clock will probably be right beside on while sitting on the night stand.  A plus of it firing at the ceiling is that it will bounce back filling a larger area with music.

Just need to know the price! Anyone wanna take a guess.  If it’s over a hundred I very well may have to stick with the iHome or one of the other systems coming out.

Posted by 3rdEye on January 10, 2006 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

In all honesty, it looks more like a CT scanner than an MRI.  I hope the “blue glow” can be turned off.

Needs a remote, and a reasonable price.

Posted by sosha on January 10, 2006 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

We’ve seen both the white and black versions of On Time. They are stunning in person - even better than the pictures suggest.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 10, 2006 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

$300 for a clock radio/speakers???

Posted by redsoxnation on January 10, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I’d buy this but I have a feeling its gonna cost way more than the iHome.

Posted by gizmo3x on January 10, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

I don’t get why everyone thinks this is a lower end model to compete with the ihome just because it has a clock and timer.  It seems to me, looking at the price, that this is more meant to compete with the Bose and Klipsch systems, just with that added clock feature.  I don’t really see it as a simple “clock radio.”  Maybe a bad way of marketing the thing.

Posted by Expungable Robot on January 10, 2006 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

WHERE TO BUY!

Posted by Ipod Fanatic on January 10, 2006 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

too stylish yet too pricey for a clock adio/speakers…. wud it fit my ipod nano???

Posted by sioxie on January 10, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Sweet…

I’m trading in my iHome - no - I’m blowing up my iHome for this…

as long as the JBL doesn’t give you those “wake up the dead” alarms - I’m there!

Posted by mettmann on January 10, 2006 at 4:03 PM (PDT)

Looks good to me. $300 seems pretty steep, but I would gladly pay it for a speaker system that sounds better than the #&@%! ihome as long as it’s got an adjustable alarm volume.

Posted by BooWhoo on January 10, 2006 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >