Jobs: 60 million downloads, $30 million sales in App Store’s first month
Speaking in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Apple CEO Steve Jobs revealed that the App Store saw more than 60 million downloads in its first month, with an average of $1 million in sales per day, for a monthly total of around $30 million. That puts Apple on pace for $360 million a year in new revenue from the App Store. “This thing’s going to crest a half a billion, soon,” Jobs said. “Who knows, maybe it will be a $1 billion marketplace at some point in time.” “I’ve never seen anything like this in my career for software,” he added. Jobs pointed out that Apple isn’t likely to make much of a direct profit off the store, but is instead hoping to use the App Store to sell more iPhones and iPod touch devices. “Phone differentiation used to be about radios and antennas and things like that,” he said. “We think, going forward, the phone of the future will be differentiated by software.” Finally, Jobs confirmed that Apple has the capability to remotely disable any software purchased from the App Store, but argued that Apple needs it in case it inadvertently allows a malicious program, such as one that stole users’ personal data, to be distributed to iPhones through the App Store. “Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull,” Jobs said.
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- Microsoft Outlook, Timeline, Mean Girls: The Game + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?