Jobs: Flash currently ‘too slow’ on iPhone | iLounge News

Jobs: Flash currently ‘too slow’ on iPhone

During Apple’s annual shareholders meeting, Apple CEO Steve Jobs made several comments about the iPhone regarding its lack of an Adobe Flash player and the upcoming Software Development Kit. Jobs said the iPhone needs something more advanced than the Flash Lite player Adobe currently makes for cellphones, but that the full-blown Flash player “performs too slow to be useful” on the device. “There’s this missing product in the middle,” Jobs said. “It just doesn’t exist. We enjoy a good relationship with Adobe.” Fielding a question about what to expect from the SDK release, Jobs said, “you’ll see a lot of apps out there this summer.” He also reiterated the company’s goal of selling 10 million iPhones in 2008, and in response to a question about Apple’s succession plan, he said, “we’ve got great talent, and I think the board would have a few really good choices,” while pointing out that it was the board of directors’ job to “make sure everybody is a potential successor to me.”

« Apple drops iPod classic, nano 3G prices in Europe [updated]

Mix: Fortune, Fnac, SMS, Projector »

Comments

Isn’t the pre-installed YouTube app. a falsh player?

Posted by Mike on March 5, 2008 at 9:20 AM (CST)

No, Mike, it’s not a Flash player. It’s a native app that pulls down H.264 video provided by YouTube for a lot of (but not all of) its content.

Posted by Si Brindley on March 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM (CST)

Oh, then I was mistaken.  Thanks for the clarification.  Can you imagine the possibilities when a true flash platform reaches the iPhone?  The iPhone is already the biggest threat to the rest of the cell phone industry.  iPhone + flash = WOW!  I hope Steve Jobs has a body guard, cause he’s pissing off a lot of companies off with his wonder gadget!.

Posted by Mike on March 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM (CST)

I don’t understand the rush to port that horrible application (Flash) to the iPhone. It’s capable of performing the same tasks in a much cleaner fashion. Let’s face it here…Adobe needs Apple on this, and not vice-versa.

Posted by Ed on March 5, 2008 at 1:21 PM (CST)

Sorry, I should clarify that I meant that the ‘iPhone s capable of performing…’

Posted by Ed on March 5, 2008 at 1:22 PM (CST)

The only reason I’d care about flash at all is for internet radio streaming..  Otherwise I don’t really miss the lack of flash otherwise.  As it is, I hit a lot of links accidentally as it is.  Can you imagine that the amount of accidental click throughs that would occur if flash were installed?  I guess if it were a possibility, it should be easily turned on and off in the settings.  Otherwise right now, I’m not missing it.

Posted by Phoenixfury on March 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM (CST)