Jobs: Microsoft must build MP3 player this year to compete | iLounge News

Jobs: Microsoft must build MP3 player this year to compete

Following his keynote speech last week at Macworld Expo, Apple CEO Steve Jobs spoke to Newsweek in an exclusive interview. While the majority of the excerpts pertain to the new Intel-based Macs, Jobs does talk about iPod competition and Apple’s record-breaking 14 million iPod shipment number.

“The problem is, the PC model doesn’t work in the consumer electronics industry, where you’ve got all these companies and some do one thing and another does another thing. It just doesn’t work,” Jobs said. “What’s going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players. This year. X-player, or whatever.”

Jobs also said that Apple could have sold more than 14 million iPods during the holiday quarter if it had received more components.

“We couldn’t get enough flash memory, we couldn’t get enough of everything [to meet all the demand],” Jobs said. “We had to call the numbers six months in advance. So we sat around and had some meaningful discussions about what that number should be, and we ended up picking the highest of the numbers. You’ve got to admit, picking 14 million in the spring of last year, when the most you’ve ever sold was four and half million, was a pretty big bet. But it turned out that that number was too low.”

« iTunes boosts prime time ratings for NBC, ABC

Mix: Audi TT, iPod trademarks, iPod school, MWSF/CES, Belkin »

Comments

It doesn’t work?  What a stupid thing to say

Wow.  Tell that to the hundreds of millions globally that run MS software, Steve.  Tell that to Bill Gates’ bank account.  You’ll never be more than an annoyance to Gates…he gives away more than you are worth.

MS needs to make a player like Jobs needs another hole in his head.  Sometimes I think Apple succeeds in spite of him.

Posted by stark23x on January 16, 2006 at 9:15 AM (CST)

Good call, asshat, except that Jobs was talking about other companies making MP3 players and the fact that other than the iPod there is no standard format or interface. He is saying that Microsoft needs to create an MP3 player to initiate a standard so that other players will have a chance at competing with the Goliath of the MP3 industry.

Also, Jobs is way more annoying than just a mere annoyance to Bill Gates. Even though MS has managed to stop supporting most of their products for the Mac, they’ve got to continue working on MS Office for at least 5 years to come. And Jobs continues to put Longhorn, or whatever crap codename Gates comes up with, to shame with every new release of the Apple OS.

I’m sure that Bill Gates cries himself to sleep at night wondering why he can’t be as good as Steve Jobs. And if that’s not more than an annoyance, I don’t know what is.

Posted by mogblat on January 16, 2006 at 9:31 AM (CST)

I think MS rely way too much on their OS.

If you ask me, the one thing that shows that Jobs is a little more than an annoyance to Gates, is the fact that the next OS, ‘Vista’ is it? Well, it may just be me, but don’t you think they are moving very discreetly towards the look of the Mac OS.

With all the icons and transparency effects, they’ve dropped the ‘cartoony’ feel of XP for something altogether more sleek, ala Mac OS.

Forget the look a little, make a more secure OS!! Isn’t that what everyone wants?

I’m seriously considering ditching my Windoze comp and getting a mighty MAC.

Posted by daleam on January 16, 2006 at 9:41 AM (CST)

Apple’s iPod and Sony’s PlayStation portable are really giving Microsoft headaches in the audio/video and gaming arenas, These are market segments Microsoft is desperate to succeed in. Steve is probably right on the money, start with a Microsoft branded music player, then over time expand the functionality and develop the product to evolve into the X-box portable…

Do you really think Microsoft’s gaming ambitions will end at home consoles? It’s just a matter of time before they move into the portable space and challenge Sony and Nintendo directly.

Posted by Matthew Watkins on January 16, 2006 at 9:41 AM (CST)

Jobs is absolutely right.  Look at any segment of consumer electronics and you’ll clearly see that.  Whether you’re talking about mp3 players, video game consoles, etc, the PC model absolutely doesn’t work.

If you want a historical example, go back and see how well the 3DO video game model worked out compared to the Sony PlayStation.  3DO went under in practically a year, while the PlayStation is still going strong 10 years later.

Posted by Sturm on January 16, 2006 at 10:32 AM (CST)

stark,

Jobs says “the PC model doesn’t work in the consumer electronics industry…” Consumer electronics as in iPods, DVD players, TVs, radios, etc, etc, etc. The success of Windows is based on the PC model, not the consumer electronics model. If Microsuck…excuse me, Microsoft were to try to use their PC model on consumer electronics, it just wouldn’t work. And the success of Windows, my friend, has nothing to do with and is no indicator that what Steve Jobs said was inaccurate.

Posted by anon on January 16, 2006 at 10:41 AM (CST)

And the fanboys line up to defend their idol.

God, what a cult.

Posted by stark23x on January 16, 2006 at 11:55 AM (CST)

stark23x, I don’t think that statement is in any way usefull for the discussion…

Microsoft is very much afraid of Apple. With millions of iPods sold, Apple has made it’s way right into the everyday life of lots of people.

As a result, many iPod-owners decide to switch from pc to mac. This has been clearly visible in sales figures. I myself am one of them. After a year of joy I’ve got from my iPod mini, I switched from pc to mac.

I’ve never regretted it… And that is what Microsoft is so afraid about.

Posted by Ketsjap in Brussels, EU on January 16, 2006 at 12:11 PM (CST)

In spite of what people like you think Stark…...Jobs was essentially correct in that Microsoft DOES need to get it’s foot in the door someway, somehow.

If they stepped up and made an MP3 player that emerged as a decent, viable competitor to the iPod, it would be that much better for the market. Competition breeds innovation.

So far the players Creative’s been using to chip away at the iPod’s dominance have been a hit with consumers, but have barely (if at all) registered on Jobs’ radar.  If Gates & co. got their act together and developed something truly decent that actually made Jobs shudder…..they could finally put companies like Creative in their place (back where they belong!) and they could finally kick off some true consumer-pleasing innovation w/o all the gimmicks (FM tuners & the like).

Posted by Huskerz85 on January 16, 2006 at 12:25 PM (CST)

Posted by Jegero on January 16, 2006 at 2:14 PM (CST)

“Cockiness on Jobs’ part?  Let’s just wait for history to repeat itself.  I will give you cult-fanboys one thing - Jobs is a smart guy.  Gates, on the other hand, is a far better BUSINESS man.  Hence the billions of dollars that he is trying to make going to save the world. Basically.

My wish?  Creating software for their new *most likely* kick *** mp3 player that can transfer everything out of iTunes onto their software.  I am done with iTunes. “

Yes, but not everyone realizes that Microsh*t relies to heavily on Windows which is a security nightmare. Gates makes all the money off of retards who think Windows is perfectly safe. Their “kick ***” mp3 player will probably be a flop. I bet if they do come out with one, it will only be able to play WMA with DRM, which is a cr*p codec btw, and it will probably be the size and weight of a small brick.

Posted by Nobody on January 16, 2006 at 2:53 PM (CST)

Yeah, players that only play one paid format with restrictive DRM in a crap format SUCK!  I HATE THAT!

What?  The iPod only plays paid music in one crap format with restrictive DRM?

Oh.

Posted by stark23x on January 16, 2006 at 6:34 PM (CST)

Windows has been having security problems because it got too popular and every single hacker is targeting and try to prove that that are better than Gates. Look at Linux, they start to have security problems too but it is not of such a big deal and since not too many ppl are using it.  MSFT coming up with a good hard ware??  Lol, the company is too big and it is too bureaucratic.  Employees care too much on expense report, semi annual reviews….as the system requires them.  Look at XBOX, 1st gen, brilliant idea, poor execution (a disaster in Asia).  2nd gen is much better but start to focus too much on “business

Posted by Will on January 16, 2006 at 6:49 PM (CST)

stark…evidently you dont have an ipod. I’ve never used itunes. I’ve never bought anythign from the itunes store…yet i ahve a 40GB ipod that’s over half full of music.
jsut made you eat your words?yeah, thought so.
Try the product before slagging it off. That’s like me calling you ugly,and i’ve never seen you!
dan x

Posted by Dan/Spooky2k on January 16, 2006 at 8:27 PM (CST)

“What?  The iPod only plays paid music in one crap format with restrictive DRM?”

Uhhhh ya, my ipod is full of plain ole MP3s that date back 5-6 years ago that are not paid for (rips of CDs I own) and have no DRM. They play fine w/o any hacking or special jerry-rigging. Just put them on like any other good ole music file! The only stuff I bought from itunes is the free ones I got from buying Mountain Dew a while back!! (which I deleted last time I reformatted my computer)

Posted by maxrebo on January 16, 2006 at 9:15 PM (CST)

1. The iPod will not play things from Napster, Rhapsody, or any non-iTunes online music store. It WILL play all non-protected (i.e. stolen or from your CDs if you are legal about it).

2. Most of my songs come from my CDs and as far as I am concerned iTunes has the best online music store, so I don’t care about the others. (And at 83% ITMS has an even higher market share than the iPod so I guess a lot of people agree with me).

3. What the iPod biggest (not only) strength is that it combines music store, music software, and music player into one seamless product that can used easily and (usually) hassle-free. Which brings me to . . .

4. Steve has a pretty good point. When it comes to CONSUMER ELECTRONICS (i.e. not the PC market) the PC approach does not work well. You are really buying a product made by two or three different companies, and as such the interfaces are different and their ability to operate together is frenquently unpredictable and confusing. Answer me this, would you want to use a TV with a remote made by the TV manufacturer for that TV, or one made by a third party? Consumer Electronics are a different ball-game than PCs.

Would I like to see Jobs open up things more, yes. Enough to make not use an iPod, no. Will it bite Steve in the ass, maybe. But not until the competition catches up, and he has plenty of time to change his tune before that happens.

Posted by Zac on January 16, 2006 at 11:03 PM (CST)

Funny how everyone here is throwing around catch phrases: ‘PC Model’ & ‘Consumer Electronics Model’.  However, no one here even knows what either of these models is.

A lot of people here are simply jumping on the bandwagon with Jobs.  Bet a search of iLounge.com would reveal that those phrases were never used on this site before Jobs uttered them and now people are acting like his words are the Gospel.

Microsoft should listen to Jobs and create a kick ass MP3 player.  I’m tired of my iPod and would love something new.  For that matter, Apple should come out with something new.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 17, 2006 at 12:02 AM (CST)

Microsoft is very much afraid of Apple.

That I doubt. Jealous: yes. Envious: no question. Afraid: no way. Not until OS X goes mainstream beyond Apple-sourced Inhell hardware, will those makers of Windoze REALLY has something to be worried about. But Jobs has publicly stated that won’t happen. Then again, he once said flash DAPs was a stupid and dead technology, too.

As for MSFT being good enough to design and manufacture their own DAPs, AND be successful at it: F-A-T C-H-A-N-C-E.

Consider how many past hardware project failures they’ve had. Aside from Natural Keyboards (still the best general KBs available, IMO), Xbox, and mice, pretty much everything else they’ve dabbled in has tanked. But I think Jobs is right: for DRMed WMA to have a chance of cutting into Apple’s dominance with iPod and iTMS, someone has to take the lead with a pioneering DAP in that format. Creative to date hasn’t shown that sort of ingenuity; nor has iRiver, Samsung, Toshiba, or most of the rest. Rootkitted Sony might very well have the skills to do it, but I think it’s clear they’d prefer their own DRM format over Redmond’s.

But seeing MSFT answer the call with their own uber DAP?  Please…stop it…that’s TOO funny.

Posted by flatline response on January 17, 2006 at 5:25 AM (CST)

“Apple will regret the day (if it ever comes) that Microsoft creates a program as elegant as iTunes and a player as simple as the iPod.  If this day ever happens it will be the end of the iPod and Apple.”

It won’t come.  MS hasn’t the first clue about making elegant software.

Posted by The Raven on January 17, 2006 at 2:45 PM (CST)

Tracks purchased from the RealPlayer Music store play perfectly fine on the iPod, and they transfer without any loss of quality.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 17, 2006 at 5:34 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >