JP Morgan: ‘iPhone nano’ coming Q4 [Updated] | iLounge News

JP Morgan: ‘iPhone nano’ coming Q4 [Updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

image

Kevin Chang, Taiwan-based analyst for JP Morgan, has issued a report saying that he expects Apple to release a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter, a device that a recently unearthed patent application suggests may be based on the iPod nano. Citing the patent application — which describes a multifunctional handheld device, controlled via a Click Wheel — and unnamed supply channel sources, Chang said, “We believe that iPod Nano will be converted into a phone because it’s probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano.” He also noted that the new phone could have “rather limited functionality.”

Update: JP Morgan has now retracted the statement, saying that a near-term release of an “iPhone nano” would be “unusual and highly risky.”

« Belkin unveils new iPod cases

Sena Cases debuts iPhone cases »

Comments

Given its limited (4Gb or 8Gb) and fixed memory, I thought the iPhone WAS an iPod Nano combined with a mobile phone?

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on July 10, 2007 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

Yeah, nothing to see here.  Analyst predicts the obvious based off a 10 month old patent that actually, if you read it, applies to the CURRENT iPhone implementation.

Analysts.  Guessing their way to the top for over a hundred years.

Posted by dasmb on July 10, 2007 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I’d expect an iPhone nano to have 1Gb and 2Gb options. I’m surprised that they would revert to the click wheel instead of using touchscreen.

Posted by Tommy on July 10, 2007 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

I personally don’t see much point in the iPhone nano if it requires the same 2 year agreement and same minimum voice and data plans.  At $60/mo minimum x 24 months, the largest part of the cost of the iPhone is in the service contract not the purchase price, so having a phone at $299 instead of $499, really will only save you $200 but not the $1440 (minimum) in service fees.

Posted by dodo on July 10, 2007 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

iPod nano?  I don’t think so.  The iPhone has yet to reach all over the world, I don’t think a new smaller slimmer model is going to come out so soon…

Anyway I thought the iPhone’s “footprint” is just nice?

As long as when it reaches Asia with 3G or 3.5G, higher-than 2 megapixel camera, dual camera, larger disk space… I will be very very happy

Posted by H W Tan on July 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

Can someone fire this guy!

On the patent:
Apple is a company that moves forward not back, and the new multi-touch UI is moving forward, and you know what, it works great. So why would they go back to using the click-wheel on future products? The patent, much like most patents was filed to protect their innovative click-wheel, nothing else.

Next!

Posted by Daveworld on July 10, 2007 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

Gotta agree with Daveworld on this one. I can’t see Apple taking a somewhat regressive step and implementing a click-wheel on a phone.

Ideally, Apple would probably wait a bit to try optimizing battery life with 3G and WiFi, and would then separate its iPhone franchise into regular and Nano versions. I could see the second-generation iPhone shooting for 20GB or higher capacity, and the Nano holding only 1 GB or 2 GB onboard but offering an expansion slot.

dodo, you make a good point regarding pricing, but I think sticker shock comes at the front end and most people balked at the current iPhone because it was $500 or more at the outset, not because of the long-term expense of the voice and data plans. I spent upwards of $1,500 last year on my cell/data charges, so I know that I wasn’t terribly fazed by the recent reports about the one- or two-year costs of the iPhone. It was the initial punch in the gut and the lack of a subsidy in exchange for the contract that caused a lot of potential buyers to balk.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 10, 2007 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Shame on iLounge for propagating this obviously shaky and probably inaccurate rumor.

Posted by Surf Monkey on July 10, 2007 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

No, shame on the JP Morgan analyst for creating the unsubstantiated story in the first place. I don’t blame iLounge for picking up the story—the attribution to the source is right there in the first sentence.

And since Apple offered no comment to discredit the analyst’s speculation, that’s unfortunately what made it a story, at least for right now.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 10, 2007 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I’m sort of sick of the folks quoting the “monthly price of the iPhone.”

I dunno about all of you, but I sort of need to have a cell phone anyway.  The cheapest cell plan I could find was already $40 a month with no data services, meaning that i’m only paying a $20 preminum for the iPhone, or a further $480, which i can live with—it’s about a third what I pay for my home internet.

A lot of you previously on pay-per-megabyte data plans are SAVING money.

That’s pretty fairly priced.  Sorry if you can’t afford it, or can but would rather gripe and pretend you wouldn’t use it.

Posted by dasmb on July 10, 2007 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

While I can appreciate at being amused by those of you calling the dunderheads at JP Morgan idiots, they do have a viable point in guessing that there may be a ‘nano’ equivalent to the iPhone: not everyone needs or even wants the sort of data and smartphone capability of the current iPhone. And certainly there’s also a market for small form-factor phones as well. While the iPhone isn’t what I’d call a behemoth, it is relative large compared to quite a few clamshells out there (in the closed position, of course).

Something akin to the iPod/iPod nano relationship for the iPhone line does make a certain amount of sense.

Posted by flatline response on July 10, 2007 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

dasmb,
Some of us are sort of sick of people who don’t care how much their cell phone bills are because they happen to pay a lot.  I’m currently on $8.33/mo. plan (prepaid $100/yr), so the $720/yr iPhone minimum plan is a huge step up.  Sure if you’re already paying a ton for your cell phone bill, then the iPhone plan isn’t a problem for you.  But not everyone wants a big cell phone bill.

Posted by dodo on July 10, 2007 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

dodo,

what are you Caveman? or You have no friend?

Posted by oktokie on July 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

I’m a caveman!  My cell phone is mostly for emergencies and the occasional convenience.  I don’t walk around with my cell phone stuck to my head like many people I see although I almost always have it with me.

Posted by dodo on July 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

(sigh)

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Has anyone actually compiled a list of these analysts’ predictions and worked out how often they’re right? I’d wager their strike rate is pretty low.

Apple would be shooting itself in the foot if it uses the old, clickwheel interface for any more iPods. I think what’s more likely are iPods featuring the OS/GUI of the iPhone, but without the phone functionality. Didn’t Steve Jobs say the next generation of iPods would run OSX? Given that there hasn’t been an iPod revision in two years now, a new iPod must be the next thing on the Apple agenda.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on July 10, 2007 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

Most of the cell phone conversations are boring, as in “I’m going to the parking lot now, ” or “I’m going to the freeway,” or “They’re out of Doritos,” etc.

People use phones for useless conversations because they have to burn some minutes.

If they didn’t have to pay a monthly fee, maybe they don’t make such useless calls.

Posted by wco81 on July 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM (PDT)