JupiterResearch: Microsoft Zune won’t topple iPod | iLounge News

JupiterResearch: Microsoft Zune won’t topple iPod

Apple’s iPod will continue to dominate the portable media device market despite the introduction of Microsoft’s Zune player and the proliferation of music phones, according to a JupiterResearch report. “Apple shows no signs of losing momentum, having conditioned customers to expect and adopt regular upgrades, as well as defined targeted use cases with optimized functionality,” said Michael Gartenberg of JupiterResearch. “Despite the coming of Zune, the return of closed-loop digital music service-device combinations, and music phones on the horizon, the iPod should not lose significant market share in the next 12 to 18 months.” Also of note, JupiterResearch found that only 11% of customers surveyed said the Zune’s wireless features were important to them. “Zune version one isn’t going to have a very big impact on the market,” said JupiterResearch analyst David Card. “There’s nothing on the horizon that looks like a game changer.”

« iLike music discovery service for iTunes launches

Hacker to license cracked Apple DRM code to others »

Comments

Wow. I’m shocked.

To top it off, I did my OWN little survey of the few people I know who own a mp3 capable phones.

Turns out that they ALL had a dedicated mp3 player too! Go figure!

Posted by ahMEmon on October 25, 2006 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

And in other news; The Earth is round…

Posted by Nick G on October 25, 2006 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

Honestly i’m sick of analysts. For gods sake who employs these people? Theyre like Ms. Cleo for those of us who actually aren’t stupid enough to call in. Personally Zune one does kinda intrest me.

Posted by Travis on October 25, 2006 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

This truly is earth shattering news!  However, I believe that if they come out with a “Hello Kitty” verion…it will be a smashing hit in every asian country!  Start with Tokyo!

Posted by mikkimann on October 25, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

The interest level in the wireless features dropped dramatically for sure once everyone found out it was going to be used for “squirting” things.

As long as Ballmer is leading Microsoft, they’ll always be playing catch-up in the portable media device market.

Posted by SJR on October 25, 2006 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

They should have a Pokemon version of the Zune.

Posted by Moo on October 25, 2006 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

I’m happy with my windows PCs, I’ve got a smartphone that is a great phone that does it all…. but nothing beats an ipod. I had sold my ipod video ‘cuz I felt too “tech heavy” but I recently picked up a 4g 20gig simply because the interface, capacity, ease and speed of sync are unbeatable. Really, nothing beats an ipod. Once you let MS manage your music “licenses” your are SOL.

Posted by RCB on October 25, 2006 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

One of my Microsoft’s potential customers said (according to a quote in the linked article): “Well, when I am on the bus I can’t share music with my friends. I have to give them my earphones, which is kind of gross ...”

Presumably, their solution is to wirelessly beam the song from Zune to Zune. But if you both have portable audio players, why not just plug your OWN headphones into your friend’s music player?

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 25, 2006 at 11:54 PM (PDT)