Kainjow releases 4G iPodLinux installer | iLounge News

Kainjow releases 4G iPodLinux installer

Kainjow, developer of the popular Pod2Go (downloads news, weather, lyrics and more to your iPod), has released an iPodLinux installer for fourth-generation iPods and iPod minis.

“Want iPodLinux running on your 4th generation iPod, iPod photo, or iPod mini, but hate doing all the steps manually? Well now you can get games, videos, gameboy games, Doom, text input, and much more all on your iPod!”

« Mix: Samsung, Boston, Red Cross, Incentives

iPods dominate Amazon.com Top Sellers list »

Comments

I’d like to hear some more information about this.  Has anyone tried it?

Posted by BulkHedd on August 18, 2005 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

I myself have successfully installed it on an iPod photo and the original 4G iPod. I’ve had reports of it installed on both generation iPod minis also.

Posted by kainjow on August 18, 2005 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I installed it on my 4G without a hitch. But, when I rebooted into linux the screen was so dark I couldn’t read anything. I could see there was text there and the scroll wheel moved between options but I couldn’t read them. Until I figure out how to read the screen it doesn’t do me much good.

Posted by Kenny Cason on August 18, 2005 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Ok, ok, I found the fix:

...“when you go into linux turn the wheel clockwise two clicks, center button, clockwise four clicks, center button, counterclockwise until you can see the screen. its a simple contrast problem…”

Posted by Kenny Cason on August 18, 2005 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Glad to see some one finally made a public release of a working installer…

Posted by Anton Jancin on August 18, 2005 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

This is even more confusing then doing manually,
I have no idea how to set this up…

Help Me!

Posted by Anton Jancin on August 18, 2005 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

Yeah I need some help too…I installed it and a folder shows up with other things to click on lick ipodlinuxinstaller but it wont work….help me please

Posted by atlvick_7 on August 18, 2005 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

I installed it on my 6gb 2g iPod mini and it worked fine. Til I went to Power > Exit Linux and now I’m stuck at a shell prompt with no way to mount my iPod, reset, or turn it off to boot back into the Apple OS.

Yay! for the iPod Brick!

Posted by Brandon on August 18, 2005 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

now make it for pc users!!!!! I can’t install the da*n installer of a exe or a bat file to execute the da*n file!!! Help Please! 1 question can it be completely eraced by useing the apple restore function or not??

Posted by dhruv on August 18, 2005 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

****
In no where does it state that this is Mac OSX only…
Wasted my time on nothing…

Posted by Anton Jancin on August 18, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Do any of you ilounge editors use ipodlinux?

Posted by jh on August 18, 2005 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

that’s so disappointing! mac only installers blow.  can’t wait until they a)get it working for us windows peoples, and b) get the gameboy program working for ipod photos

Posted by chris on August 18, 2005 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

For Windows version, go here: http://www.ipodlinux.org/4G_Installer

Posted by kainjow on August 18, 2005 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

Are there big risks in installing ipodLinux? Is it very possible to completely ruin your ipod?

Posted by gabe on August 18, 2005 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

Works great for my 2nd Gen. Mini!!! :D

Posted by pakkman781 on August 18, 2005 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

The worst thing that can happen installing iPodLinux is that you loose your music. So, make a backup and try it!

You can always remove the iPodLinux and install the original software using the Apple’s handy Firmware Restore Utility.

Posted by zipods on August 18, 2005 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

I’ve used the installer, it reports ok on a color screen 4g (20gb).  When I restart the iPod, sometimes it “freezes” on the apple logo (no backlight, but the scrollwheel causes clicks).  Other restarts, the apple logo fades to a white screen with clicks from the scroll wheel.  And on some restarts, it goes back to the Apple software.  I’ve gotta say, the uninstaller does its job well.  Any one else with similar problems?

Posted by TikkiTikkiMan on August 18, 2005 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

Is it just me, or is it a fairly ridiculous oversight that nowhere in this article is it mentioned that this installer is for Mac only? Last time I checked, the vast majority of iPod users (and therefore, iLounge readers) run Windows.

Posted by Alex on August 18, 2005 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

any one else unable to record audion on linux, says my hardware is unsupported.

Posted by mike on August 18, 2005 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

mike, which iPod do you own? if it’s a mini I don’t believe that they support audio recording, just FYI smile

Posted by matrixsjd on August 19, 2005 at 1:13 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >