Kensington announces FM Transmitter/Auto Charger | iLounge News

Kensington announces FM Transmitter/Auto Charger

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 19, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picKensington today debuted an all-in-one FM Transmitter and Auto Charger for iPod and iPod mini. “Compact FM Transmitter/Charger charges and plays iPods using car radio and cigarette lighter plug. Transmits outside the car to FM radios within 15 feet. LED indicators signal plugged and charging states, and safety fuse protects against power spikes. For iPod or iPod mini with dock connector. 5-year limited warranty and free technical support.” The FM Transmitter/Auto Charger retails for  $59.99.

« Want to be in an iTunes commercial?

Apple event to feature a black U2 iPod? »

Comments

I like the looks of the Monster iCarplay better. Hope the quality of the Kensington is as good or better than the Monster.

Posted by rantor on October 19, 2004 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

enough with the bloody transmitters! there are plenty of them, and none of them compare to line-in.
Someone, come up with a *receiver* and you’ll have my money.

Posted by JC on October 19, 2004 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

Looks decent—but isn’t there one that holds the iPod right on the power outlet? No arm, please… my outlet’s already in a good spot. And it’s not the DLO Transpod I’m thinking of… I swear I’ve seen a really simple charger that’s basically like a car power plug sticking out the back of your iPod. Am I crazy?

I want something simple like that to use with an iTrip (which I’ll also use separate from the charger).

(Not everyone has a line in.)

Posted by Nagromme on October 19, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Check out Belkin’s new TuneBase FM. It’s an iPod mini charger, holder and FM transmitter in one. Much more integrated than all of this other stuff.

Posted by wired on October 19, 2004 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

60 bucks eh?  why don’t you pay another 30 bucks to get a new car radio with aux-inputs on the front so you don’t have to mess with the cruddiness of fm transmiters?  they’ll charge anything.

Posted by dave on October 19, 2004 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

Ans: Because you don’t want to mess with your car, OR so that you can use it in multiple cars including ones you don’t own. And because this is a charger, not just a transmitter.

Combine an FM transmitter with a decent charger (this one seems to have good features) and Kensington’s quality reputation,  and I don’t think $60 is too much. (It’s just not the choice for me since I want FM and charging separately.)

Posted by Nagromme on October 20, 2004 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

good points, but seriously, the FM transmitter market is a bit saturated by now isn’t it?  I guess the line must be drawn between audiophiles (line in), and convenience (fm transmitters).  At least until those transmitters can substantially boost their sound quality.  Which I don’t see happening with FCC rules as they are.  So to each his own.

Posted by apple juice on October 20, 2004 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

Has anyone seen any hacks fo the iCarplay to boost its transmision??

Posted by steve on October 20, 2004 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

no mention on their website or product info download regarding the number of FM stations it can lock to or whether they are preset.  i’m guessing 1-4, all preset.  anyone know?

Posted by lex on October 20, 2004 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

Ah, I say keep them coming. The more FM transmitters there are the more to choose from, and lower the cost due to competition and over saturation of the market. But 59.99 is way off the mark.

Posted by Zardoz on October 20, 2004 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

Then again, look at what chargers alone cost.

And I’m in the convenience camp… I’ll never get concert sound in my car, so at least I can skip maddening wires.

Posted by Nagromme on October 20, 2004 at 10:20 AM (PDT)