Kensington Stereo Dock for iPod announced | iLounge News

Kensington Stereo Dock for iPod announced

image

imageKensington has announced the Stereo Dock, a new iPod cradle that lets you listen to music from your iPod through your home stereo system with line-in capability. The Stereo Dock simultaneously charges your iPod and features an infrared remote control that operates from up to 30 feet away. The device works with all Dock Connector iPods (including mini and photo) and will ship next month for $89.99.

“By connecting to the iPod through the bottom dock connector, the Kensington Stereo Dock takes pure, line-out quality audio, eliminating any hint of feedback or interference,” says the company. “Then, the Stereo Dock’s embedded chip set enables users to adjust volume from the included remote control—preserving the high-quality audio signal—and providing total control of your tunes from across the room. The Stereo Dock for iPod is the only dock with line-out quality audio signal with volume control on the market today.”

« Pacific Rim intros iPod shuffle Cradle

Mix: Summer school, Peas, Camera Connector, iStudio »

Comments

Like most iPod docks and holders it appears to work only if the iPod isn’t in a skin or holder. Bah!

Posted by david_b on June 8, 2005 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Hmz, it just might work with a Podskin on, but it’s hard to tell from these pix. Btw, you can use the Apple photo dock with most skins simply by taking off the white cover. It’s not optimal because the weight of the iPod is only supported by the connector, but it’s effective.

Posted by Ericc B on June 8, 2005 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

NEVER have your iPod supported solely by the connector!

Posted by minty on June 8, 2005 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Maybe mount one of these in the car somehow.  That would be cool.

Posted by genrlz on June 8, 2005 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

on the picture that shows the back of the unit, what is the connection on the right hand side?  Also, I don’t (readily) see how the iPod can be charged will in this dock…what am I missing??

Posted by redsoxnation in USA on June 8, 2005 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

redsoxnation, that’s probably the power cord, which answers both of your questions.

It is using the iPod’s line out for input, but it also has volume control… kind of weird.  I guess the dock’s output isn’t considered ‘line out’, then.

Why infrared?  Seriously, RF is so much better.  I hate trying to aim a remote at my stereo.  TV makes sense, because I’m watching it, but I don’t watch my stereo.

$90 is more than I’d spend on this unit, even with an RF remote instead of IR.  $45 would probably the top price I’d be willing to spend.

The design is nice; I like the little shelf for storing the remote.

Posted by thenightfly42 on June 8, 2005 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

thanks nightfly…guess it didn’t dawn on me that they were providing the power cord…I was thinking that it would use the Apple power brick w/FW cable…

Posted by redsoxnation in USA on June 8, 2005 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

If it’ll hold a photo, it’ll hold a 4G/20 with a skin.  I’m buying one…two.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 8, 2005 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

Too pricey. Seems nice though.

Posted by klwdallas in Dallas, TX on June 8, 2005 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

Isn’t this just a standard apple dock with a remote. I plug my apple dock into my stereo & get playback and charging.

Seems a bit pricey for waht you get.

Posted by lagomatic on June 8, 2005 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

90 bux isn’t bad considering the apple stereo kit is 80 bux and doesn’t include a remote.  The cheapest ipod remote i found was 40 bux and that doesn’t even allow you to control volume.

90 vs 120, umm…this is a no brainer.  and it’ll look stylish on top of my tv!!!

Posted by cellphonejunkie on June 8, 2005 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

Yeah right. Expensive low-tech. You can equip your iPod with a RF-remote and a dock for less, and you could also use that remote on the go.
For this price, Kensington should at least have implemented some RCA-connetors or an optical output. In fact an optical output would be preferrable since good RCA-connectors tend to be expensive.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 9, 2005 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

Bad Beaver,

ahm…you stand to be corrected:

they do include high quality RCA cables.  this is directly off the link to their product page.

“Contents: Stereo Dock, IR remote control with (2) AAA batteries, 7ft. gold-plated RCA output cable, AC adapter, Instruction sheet”

i don’t see the point in buying a remote if it can’t control volume.  this is the only remote i’ve seen that can do that and connect to my home theater system.

Posted by cellphonejunkie on June 9, 2005 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

personally I think this thing is ugly; it looks like bad 70’s furniture.  also the price is way too high.  i would prefer to buy the apple dock and an RF remote

Posted by orbojeff on June 9, 2005 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

according to the website, the remote control does control the volume.

Posted by jmaurand on June 9, 2005 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

of course, what would be amazing would just be a portable click wheel so you could really control everything.

Posted by jmaurand on June 9, 2005 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Why do you need volume on remote if you are hooking it to your home theater system?  My home theater system has its own volume control which is what you should be using.  Ideally this should only be a low level line out audio and the receiver or pre-amp/amp combo takes care of the rest.  Lest you wanna fry your home theaters electronics.

Posted by Synergy on June 11, 2005 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

cellphonejunkie is my hero!!

why doesn’t the remote have a scroll wheel?  that would be cool.

Posted by cellphonejunkierocks!! on June 13, 2005 at 1:05 PM (PDT)