Keyspan intros TuneView for iPod, iTunes | iLounge News

Keyspan intros TuneView for iPod, iTunes

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, March 6, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageKeyspan has announced its new TuneView Remote system for both iPod and iTunes. The TuneView Remote features a color LCD and 2-way RF connectivity, allowing users to remotely manage music on the iPod when used in conjunction with the TuneView Dock for iPod. Also announced was the TuneView USB adapter, which allows for remote managing of music in iTunes via software and the TuneView Remote. Both the TuneView Remote and TuneView Dock for iPod will be available in May, for $99 and $79 respectively. The TuneView USB adapter sells for $39 and will be available this summer.

« DLO brings iPod solution to select Volvos

Mix: Mac mini, Hit-and-run, Hi-Fi disappointment, Music Week »

Comments

This is what we need, a remote that displays whats on our iPod, not an iPod as a remote. I will buy one of these if it meets expectations…

Posted by MikeTCool on March 6, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Me want! This thing hopefully has some serious range. If it’s just 30’ in a line of sight / no walls I can use Salling Clicker on my Cellphone just as well, and cheaper too. I sure hope this thing has full iPod interface support even when working with iTunes, it would be neat if one could use it to set up “on the go” playlists.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 6, 2006 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Hey, this thing will finally allow people to fully control the Airport Express without being at the computer, even from another room.

Posted by iamone on March 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

It uses RF (radio frequency) so it should be able to go through walls and have very good range.

Posted by iamone on March 6, 2006 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

This item has the potential for achieving what the Creative Soundblaster Wireless Music product tried but ultimately (due to bugs and vanishing support) came up short on - putting control of one’s vast music library in the palm of one’s hand.

The Creative product (for those who have not tried it/suffered with it) had an RF remote control with a screen as well, and when it worked, you could sit on your couch, browse your collection as it appeared on the remote control’s screen, and serve up music to your stereo (which was connected via the product’s wireless base station).

Where the promise came apart was in several places: dodgy 801.11b connectivity meant the unit wasn’t always able to connect to your computer, and there was no direct ethernet port to go around this; delays while the remote control tried to catch up to the input (scrolling through songs and otherwise navigating the menus too quickly caused the unit to freeze, which required battery removal to reset); zero integration with iTunes (it used an older version of Creative’s Playcenter/Mediacenter software that choked on more recent ID3 tag formats used by iTunes, which often ended up with carefully tagged mp3 files getting re-written with “<unknown>” tags and sent into mp3 library obscurity); no software updates/support after a few initial bug fixes (which did, admittedly, make the product useful some of the time rather than none of the time).

Maybe this will be the “version 2” (albeit by another company) that takes the original effort by Creative to the next level.  Here’s hoping.

Posted by robm on March 6, 2006 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

In the interim, those of you w/ Tivo and a wireless network can try AudioFaucet (control iTunes via your TV screen).

Posted by Matt on March 6, 2006 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

It won’t be near as good as the Sonos system is, but it’s a fraction of the price.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 6, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

Pffff, it won’t even be remotely close to using a dedicated iBook with NetTunes as nothing but an iTunes remote, but it’s heckuffalot cheaper & smaller.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 6, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

This sounds nice and elegant, although I am VERY happy with the solution I’ve been using—multiple Airport Expresses controlled by a wifi Palm PDA that shows album info, let’s me rate tracks remotely, etc.  With WDS working on the Expresses, I get super-solid connectivity and total iTunes library flexibility throughout the house.  Of course, I had the Palm sitting around, so that was already a sunk cost.  But it really works great and impresses the guests to no end!

Posted by Salling Fan on March 6, 2006 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

By the way, to add to my prior message, I’m obviously using Salling Clicker on the Palm… Forgot to mention that, but hopefully the nickname gave that detail away.

Posted by Salling Fan on March 6, 2006 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

Wouldn’t a BT transmitter for the iPod make more sense?  Heck, a decent RF transmitter makes more sense to me.

This seems overly engineered.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 7, 2006 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Hey Gordo,
  I think this thing is well thought out (at least for my situation). You see, I have a stereo and speakers in one room, my computer running iTunes in another, and me in an ajoining room where I entertain guests. The trick has always been finding the best way to get the music to the stereo while still having control over it. Right now I use an Airport Express and a remote to contol it. Of course, the remote is IR so I must be in the line of site and I also have no way of seeing what song is next or have an easy way to go to a paticular song I want to hear (unless I some how make that “perfect” playlist). Trust me, it gets annoying.

This remote solves my two main gripes and does it cheaply and elegantly. Before I heard about this, I was going to use Tunecenter by Griffin (or the Homedock by DLO - whichever had better reviews), but these remotes are still IR and you have to be in view of your TV screen. However, they still are an option because they will allow you to play videos from your iPod and one will do internet Radio stations (which I doubt you can do with Keyspan.)

As for Bluetooth, I’ve read elsewhere that it is bigger powerdrain (something about devices always matching) and would be more expensive. Also, is there something amiss with the RF transmitter on this device or did you just mean that generally?

Posted by The Man on March 7, 2006 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Hey “The Man”:

Agreed on the whole line of sight issue.  That’s why I went for the wifi solution with Salling Clicker.  Better than IR, RF and/or Bluetooth if you’ve got a solid wifi signal throughout your house.  But, of course, you need something to put the client on—e.g., a wifi PDA.  I’m not sure what the cheapest ones go for these days, or what you could get a used Tunsten C for, for instance…  but it really is remarkably versatile.  Not only am I controlling iTunes in exactly the same way I would sitting in front of the computer (e.g., rate tracks, shuffle on or off, search by name, genre, etc.), but also can control iPhoto slide shows, read e-mail, turn my lights on and off around the house via Indigo, etc.

Anyway, just tossing another 2 cents into the pot…

Posted by Salling Fan on March 7, 2006 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Also I have it so I can, turn my stove on, turn on the microwave, start the shower, start the car and even flush the toliet!! all from the palm of my lazy hand. My ex hates it cause i turn the shower off on her haha!!aahhh technology! I think im gaining some weight…...
im fat

Posted by Salling Fan on March 8, 2006 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

I havea tuneview and along with a wireless speaker it’s great for outdoors. The remote has great range and the dock has S-video out so you can hook it up to your tv as well. If your videos are tv optimized they watchable on a large screen unless you’re one that needs high definition quality. I recently had my ipod and phone stolen so I picked up an iPhone. The tuneview does not yet support the iPhone but I’m hoping a firmware update will fix that.

Posted by inc on April 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM (PDT)