Kid-friendly Tadpole iPod case announced | iLounge News

Kid-friendly Tadpole iPod case announced

image

iFrogz today announced the Tadpole, a new fifth-generation iPod case made specifically for children ages one and up. Available in multiple colors, the silicone cases features two large handles to help children maintain a solid grip. “iFrogz’s new Tadpole case for kids is a dream come true for busy parents who want a way to keep their child entertained during trips to the grocery store, doctor’s office, post office, etc. and on longer trips too,” says the company. The Tadpole case will begin shipping in early December for $25.

« Analyst: Q4 iPod numbers to be below Street consensus

Mix: Zune, iHeist, McDonald’s, Steve Jobs »

Comments

I would get this for my kids if I had no worries about having to replace the iPod.  Since I’m not in that position, yet, I will just have to admire the design.

Regardless of looks, I can see a market for this.  At times, parenting is either giving the kid the boob-tube (or pod) or driving over a cliff.

Posted by Bob on October 13, 2006 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

As a father of two girls ages 7 & 4, I have to agree w/ franticnomad - there’s no way I give either of them a $350+ iPod (I did recently pick up a 1Gb MP3 player for $30 for my seven year-old).  I know for a fact there are times when turning your kids into a “vidiot” is the best way to keep them calm and quiet, but there are a lot cheaper alternatives available, portable DVD players can be bought for as low as $75 and if you let the kids pick out their own videos, they’ll watch them over and over, so that expense can also be kept to a minimum.

Posted by Jess on October 13, 2006 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

It seems as though a lot of folks disagree with the release of this product, but to me it’s the most ingenious case that’s been released.  There are plenty of items that go to kids, and whether the iPod is $3.50 or $350, sometimes that’s the way it goes.  I think maybe a way to attach these to high chairs or car seats (so the kids can’t move it) will make it even better.  Perhaps a way to latch it onto a grocery shopping cart or something.  I salute the makes of this product…ya done good!

Posted by JazzyMac on October 15, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I already have my ipod on any long roadtrip. I think this makes good sense. One less piece of “kid gear” to lug around. It is ironic how we judge parents that let their kids watch an OCCASIONAL movie as we wander around with our in-ear/noise cancelling headphones so they “block out the outside world”. I have a 10+ hour trip to Maine scheduled for this spring. My little guy will definitely be using this. Only problem is what will I use to to listen to music while he is watching the “Incredibles” over and over. Guess that is what satellite radio is for. I certainly won’t let him have it where he might be able to throw it more than 3 feet though.

Posted by Mark on October 15, 2006 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

a lot of people already hate this product.  i don’t know every one of you, so don’t hate on me.
i don’t know how many of you have kids, either.

HOWEVER, i have a 1.25 year old!  and sometimes, desperate times calls for desperate measures.  when he’s crying his head off cuz he’s been too long in the car seat, i end up passing him my $250 cell phone.

no, he definitely can’t play with my ipod 5gA, but you know what?  with that case?  i just might.  it looks pretty indestructible.  unless he’s got apple gunk in his lil’ fingers, i can’t really see him damaging the click wheel.

NO, IF i purchased this, i wouldn’t let him watch this on a regular basis.  he doesn’t watch any tv and we play w/ him lots.

but if my kids entering defcon 5, and the water bottle, fruit snacks, toys, and cell phone doesn’t work, and i had a case that would prevent most major damage, yes, i might give him my ipod to play with for a coupla minutes.

~funkpod

Posted by funkpod on October 16, 2006 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I think these are great and my 3 year olds have ipods and i am glad they finally have cute kid friendly cases .. so they drop the ipods thats what a warrenty is for or i get them another one .. we fly all the time so its perfect on the plane and you cant say parents give the kids ipods so they dont have to entertain them or spend time with them .. that is a load of poop my twins are starting kindergarten at age 4 next year so that blows that out the window

Posted by People are dumb on December 3, 2008 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

I do not have kids.

but out of experience, adults are just as capable of dropping an ipod as a three year old. although they do ave the tendancy to throw things, i don’t think they would with this if it was made clear to them, alsoi think the feel of the handles would keep them occupied if their mind wanders from the iPod =]

Posted by Tommy Tom Tom on December 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2