Koloroo debuts widgets for iPods | iLounge News

Koloroo debuts widgets for iPods

image

Koloroo today announced two new widgets—TipKalc and KolorWheel—that run on any iPod with a color screen. TipKalc ($5) is a tip calculator with instant check-splitter, and KolorWheel ($8) is a color utility that provides color schemes for various uses. Both widgets can be loaded onto an iPod from either a PC or Mac, according to the developer.

“TipKalc is easy to use. Just spin your iPod’s Click Wheel until your bill amount is displayed in the center of the screen,” explains Koloroo. “Everything else is automatically calculated for you. It calculates recommended 15% and 20% tip amounts, grand totals, and even splits the check up to five ways. Using KolorWheel is just as easy. You select a base color by moving your thumb over the iPod Click Wheel. A suggested color scheme is automatically displayed in the four corners. If you prefer to match your base color to a particular object, you hold your iPod next to it. Again, a suggested color scheme will be automatically displayed in the corners.”

« Monster intros cable lineup for Apple TV

Fastmac expands iPod rehab program for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

I assume this is merely a set of photos that one would put into an album and copy to the ipod?

Can someone confirm this?

Posted by jtylko on March 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM (CDT)

How does the iPod suddenly support widgets?  Surely there must be an SDK somewhere?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM (CDT)

I just downloaded the demo of TipKalc and yes, it automatically opens iPhoto and creates a folder with the images in it. Each image is a whole-dollar amount as the total bill. Then of course you sync your iPod with that folder. I’m sure the KolorWheel one works the same.

Exciting that this could open up a whole new realm of possibilities for the photo album feature!

Posted by tessa on March 21, 2007 at 12:36 AM (CDT)

I’m quite disappointed that they would go as far as calling them widgets. You are correct—it is merely a series of photos. Although the idea is quite creative (and I’m surprised the idea wasn’t marketed earlier) they shouldn’t call them widgets. What do you guys think?

Posted by Tyler on March 21, 2007 at 2:02 AM (CDT)

I think they are brilliant.  I am redecorating my house and am having a great time looking at Kolorwheel and choosing my colors!  I have been dreading the project now I can’t wait!  The widgets are fun and fresh…a whole new world for IPOD.

Posted by Lee on March 21, 2007 at 6:53 AM (CDT)

Posted by mdwsta4 on March 21, 2007 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

And how lazy do you have to be to carry all your music around with you? How hard is it go and switch a cd? Really? Honestly?

Posted by Sid32 on March 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM (CDT)

Well, I’ve been bartending for a very long time and I still see people pull out that little card you pay $3 for at the store…and there are still many people that have no idea how to tip.  The tipping aside, so many people divide payments these days, I think it is a great idea and am planning to show all my guests.

Posted by fred on March 21, 2007 at 9:20 AM (CDT)

Since when is a tip a standard, fixed amount.  Doesn’t it reflect the service you receive?  I can range from 15% to 20%, and even higher and lower.

I think the idea is pretty cool, but definitely shouldn’t be marketed as a ‘widget’.

Posted by iscott on March 21, 2007 at 9:21 AM (CDT)

“2.    a device or control that is very useful for a particular job” is one of the definitions for widget, so technically, these are “controls” that are useful for a particular job, meaning they can be classified as widget

Posted by hi on March 21, 2007 at 9:47 AM (CDT)

I just uploaded the demo to my ipod of the tip menu. Well, it works well, but photo slides just don’t excite me unless Steve Jobs is presenting them on a GIANT screen.

Posted by Mike Harvey on March 21, 2007 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

“really? honestly, how stupid are people that they can’t calculate 20% for a tip? and no, 15% is NOT an acceptable amount for service unless we’re back in 1990.

and color swatches? huh? if it’s for painting, you can pick up a million free samples at home depot. if it’s for anything else… i dunno, i don’t get the point.”

I bet your that grumpy old waitress who never gets tipped.

Posted by Steven on March 21, 2007 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

and no, 15% is NOT an acceptable amount for service unless we’re back in 1990.

^^^^actually if the waiter/waitress is bad 0% is an acceptable tip :)

Posted by Pugetsound in Tacoma, Washington on March 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM (CDT)

“actually if the waiter/waitress is bad 0% is an acceptable tip”

I’ve never actually met a server that was so bad that they deserved no tip.

Posted by MellowTone41 on March 22, 2007 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

^^^^^^^ uh.. I have, and this very same server followed me out from the restaurant and demanded tip!

Anyway, talk about going off topic.

Posted by orionpkmyz on March 23, 2007 at 6:46 AM (CDT)