Lala.com launches web-based iTunes service | iLounge News

Lala.com launches web-based iTunes service

Lala.com has announced its new web-based service that enables users to store their iTunes music library online for free, as well as fill their iPod from the web. Users of the service can also play and share music with others, and purchase music from Warner Music Group in both digital and CD format. “Before today music was ripped and trapped on PCs and Macs with desktop applications like iTunes. The iPod is the greatest portable music device ever invented, and as avid iPod fans we wanted to create a service that blends the convenience of the Web with the portability and functionality of a truly universal platform,” said Bill Nguyen, a founder of Lala.com. Use of the service requires the LalaPlayer, which is available as a free download for Windows or Mac.

« No Disk Mode for iPhone?

Orbino unveils Genio Leather Case for 2G shuffle »

Comments

I like the idea of storing my music online so it doesn’t fill up my hard drive, but I would still want to use the itunes interface for playing music on my computer and managing my ipod.

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

Now when they say Music Library are they referring only to audio files or are they talking about the itunes music folder that also contains the subfolder of TV Shows and etc.  I’m thinking the former because that would be a terrible amount of storage space to offer for free if we were alound to store our video files as well.

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

Seriously ... that’s really asking for trouble, given how huge people’s libraries are!

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

If it works, it sounds like a great way to be able to listen to my music at work without the fear of having my iPod ripped off.

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

Yeah, like I’m gonna store 12,000 lossless audio files online.

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

would this be good to use to transfer a music library from one computer to another?

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 5, 2007 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

jandsroberts:  It would be great for playing music at work, except for the bandwidth and the fact that our office does not allow downloading software to our computers and lala requires their player to play songs from your library.

Jen: As far as I can tell, there is no way to download songs from lala back to a hard disk, except to an iPod.

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 6, 2007 at 9:24 AM (CDT)

Tried to install it last night on my intel mac, but it appears to only see those music libraries directly stored on the hard drive, and not those stored on external hard drive.  Am I incorrect?

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 7, 2007 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

The service/web site has LOTS of issues/problems.
1. Does not consistently work with Firefox
2. Limits upload to 5,000 files
3. Interface is poor
4. Syncing with ipod does not work well

Posted by Charles Starrett on June 7, 2007 at 10:41 AM (CDT)