Lap Locker intros PodLock iPod locking case | iLounge News

Lap Locker intros PodLock iPod locking case

imageLap Locker has announced its PodLock iPod locking case. The case is designed to fit all full-size iPods except the 30GB 3rd generation model, original 20GB iPod photo, and the 40-60GB iPod photo. The system consists of a tapered aluminum frame to contain the iPod and a Master Lock carabiner-style combination lock. The lock allows the case to be secured to belts, backpacks, purses, and, using a clamp-lock device, the case can be locked to a table or desk. The PodLock allows access to all the iPod’s controls and ports. The PodLock is available now and sells for $39.99.

« DLO HomeDock now shipping

Mix: Madonna, TV ads, school podcasting, iMic »

Comments

How is this thing secure if it is attached to a desk clamp?  It appears all you have to do is unscrew the clamp to take the iPod.

Posted by Galley on October 19, 2005 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

this seems like a pretty useless case…

Unless you have prison-type bars at your place of residence or work, this seems quite useless.

Posted by Ian on October 19, 2005 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

Have to agree that this is one of the silliest iPod accessories ever.  “...secured to belts, backpacks, purses…” Perhaps version 2 will include an adapter so you can “secure” it to your wedding ring or Rolex.

Posted by aconcernedviewer on October 19, 2005 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

also in, honda has added locks to its doors to keep cars from getting stolen.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on October 19, 2005 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

It seems to me that the clamp that it attaches to cannot unscrew once the lock is locked through a mechanism in the clamp… This is what I can tell from the demo video of the “laplocker” that they have one the website. I am going to pick one of these up to use for when I throw parties in my suite at school… My ipod was already stolen once, as was 2 of my friends…

Posted by AA on October 19, 2005 at 7:20 PM (PDT)

Someone stole two of your friends? wink

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 19, 2005 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

No.. two of my friends had their ipods stolen in addition to mine - one of them had their ipod stolen on a subway in NYC.. hes picking up one too to clip to his belt on subways - in fact, NYC subways now have signs warning “not to travel on subways with an ipod” because the theft rate has gotten so high. im surprised something like this didnt come out earlier…

Posted by AA on October 19, 2005 at 11:51 PM (PDT)

So, unless your backpack or purse is made of steel, simply using a pocket knife on the strap renders this lock useless.

Another dumb accessory.

Posted by JPack on October 20, 2005 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

AA, if you learn to use apostrophes you can say what you intended to: My iPod was already stolen once, as were two of my friends’.  The apostrophe after the noun implies the friends’ possession of iPods.  I hope you manage to hang on to your devices in future!

Posted by entelechy on October 20, 2005 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

I like this idea. It’s not a guarantee that your iPod won’t be stolen. If someone REALLY wants to steal your iPod they will find a way to work around the contraption.

But it’s a deterrent. Your iPod becomes a less attractive target. There’s less chance that you will become a victim of an opportunist.

Posted by podeluxe on October 20, 2005 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

I agree, AA obviously can’t type. However, I think he has a point. Much like Chlamydia, we all want to believe iPod theft won’t happen to us. But the facts tell a different story. Mine was stolen from my desk at work. So for me, whose experienced the deep, engrossing, firey pain of iPod loss. This device has quite the viable function. Hell, if I’m going to buy a case for my new iPod anyway, why not have a locking one?? That’s my two cents.

Posted by Sushiessential on October 20, 2005 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

I’m all for anything that helps prevent iPod theft, but man is this thing fugly.

Posted by Hrothgar on October 20, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

The cure is:

iF THE RIGHT MAIN PASSWORD IS NOT INPUTED 5 TIMES, HAVE THE IPOD EXPLODE ENOUGH FOR IT TO INTERNALLY BREAK INSIDE SO IT WILL NOT BE USABLE EVER AGAIN.

THE VICTIM WORKED HARD TO SPEND THOSE $400 TO AHVE IT STOLEN.

Posted by axel on November 23, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

I think this may work great for travel through the airport, makes it a little harder for TSA to take it like the did mine at the Huntsville Alabama check point.

Posted by Ipodlonggone on February 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM (PDT)