Latest iPhone 3G problem: dusty screens | iLounge News

Latest iPhone 3G problem: dusty screens

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, August 4, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

Following reports last week of cracking iPhone 3G plastic shells, additional reports have surfaced this week that some iPhone 3G screens are susceptible to dust and dirt intrusion, creating dots that are stuck underneath the glass of the phone’s face. According to several readers posting in an iLounge forum thread, the problem may be linked to a loose seal around the screen, which allows for gaps between the screen and bezel, letting small particles slide inside the device. One iLounge editor has confirmed that the dust intrusion problem exists on his phone, as shown in the photo here. As it is possible that the problem could worsen over time, and could lead to more significant problems/damage, we recommend returning any affected units to Apple for replacement.

« Apple releases iPhone Software 2.0.1

Mix: iPhone nano?, Noreve Diamond, Foxconn, iPhone Russia »

Comments

They accept returns for this problem?

Posted by deliverator on August 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

They accept returns for this problem?

They should, or at least make repairs (Apple repair one of their handheld devices???), considering that it’s an obvious failure of seal intended to keep dust out.

Posted by flatline response on August 4, 2008 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

would you have to contact apple, or could you return it to ATT as well?

Posted by Nathan on August 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

my white iphone had dusts from day one. brought it to apple store and they exchanged w/o problem. the replacement unit had several dusts and a dead pixel, and so did the next one. the store was out of replacement phones and they ordered one for me. new shipment came in two days and i finally got the perfect unit without dusts / dead pixels.

i don’t know if the current phone will get dusts over time, but at least apple did exchange the phone multiple times. i originally bought the phone from apple store.

Posted by coel on August 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

i was told by someone at an apple store and someone at an ATT store that all such returns have to be done at the company you bought it from. so if you bought it at an apple store, you must go back to an apple store (doesn’t have to be the same store but has to be apple). bought at att, return at att.

the person at apple also warned me that if I just flat returned the phone (not a swap) I need to transfer my number to a new phone BEFORE I return the phone. because the return would be reported right away to ATT, cancelling my service and forfeiting my phone number. what was disturbing was that the person at ATT said nothing to warn me (I went there first and then called ATT customer service who confirmed that the Apple person was correct)

Posted by charlituna on August 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

My 32GB iPod Touch (purchased when they first came out whenever that is) is starting to get dead pixels as well.
A week or two ago I had 4 red dead pixels, but then they vanished overnight which seemed odd to me. I just had a green dead pixel this morning. I don’t know what’s going on, but I think I’m gonna ask apple about it. It bugs me

Posted by Toleran on August 5, 2008 at 3:54 AM (PDT)

Dead pixels are pixels that don’t light.  Pixels that stay green or red or blue are ‘stuck pixels’.  They’ll often go away if they get switched rapidly on and off, over and over again.  I assume someone will write a simple piece of software to deal with stuck pixels and put it in the app store…

Posted by Patrick Austin on August 5, 2008 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

My 16 GB Black had some dust under the screen including one huge piece right in the middle of the screen as soon as the AT&T;salesperson handed it to me.  I had already waited two weeks for it to come in so I headed straight to the local apple store where I was told to make an appointment for two days later.  They swapped it out at the apple store for a new phone that has been great so far.  So if you have a local apple store, go there and they should take care of you whether you bought it from there or an AT&T;store.

Posted by Mark on August 5, 2008 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

I am currently using a wing and was thinking of changing to a iPhone 3G.  I use the wing for all my emails and a organizer.  Is it
worth me changing now or at a later time.

Posted by John Galo on August 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

John,

I have a Wing too, as well as a 2.5 iPhone.  They each do different things better than the other.  I love the Iphone’s web browser (other than the no Flash app), but I really like the Wing for the slide out keyboard, cut/paste, open AND edit documents and that I can use applications that are on my iPAQ PDA on the Wing too.  I couldn’t bring myself to cancel my TMo account because I only have a few more months on my contract with them and didn’t want to pay the termination fee.  I would say try the iPhone but be aware there are limits to what it can do and see if it fits your needs, it has a thirty day return policy on it.

Hope this helps.

Posted by orcaswim on August 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

Hi all
I’m convinced that dust in the 3G iphones are a fact of life. In HK - When I purchased a white 16GB phone - I opened 3 units - all had at least 1 or 2 particles of dust. I eventually left the shop with a unit with a very small dust particle in the screen (almost unnoticable).
However, the screen was a little buggy (streaks appeared on the screen after a day) so I took it back to the carrier (Three in HK) service centre. On getting a replacement, again I went through 3 units, all had dust particles. Hence in effect 6 white 16GB Iphone 3G units had dust in the screens. 100% hit rate for me :-(.
The one I eventually had to take was one with a small dust particle, it’s onlt noticeable in sunlight - but still not perfect ....:-(

Posted by Tom on August 6, 2008 at 7:03 AM (PDT)