Lavender iPod mini? | iLounge News

Lavender iPod mini?

An eBay auction has turned up a lavender iPod mini. We don’t know what to make of this, but we are checking with the auctioner for more proof. The ‘Buy It Now’ price has been set at a whopping $575. Buyer beware.

“DO YOU LIKE THE UNUSUAL? Then this mini iPod is for you. I ordered a pink iPod for my daughter and waited a month for it to come. When it finally came it was in a box that showed pink, but when we opened it, it was lavender! I spoke to the company and they say they don’t even make lavender and it was a mistake with the dielot. Personally I love the lavender but my daughter wants the pink one, so this one is up for auction. The company couldn’t believe it and says it will probably become a collectible. It is totally BRAND NEW & perfect, we opened the box and took the picture, it hasn’t been used.”

« New iPod commercial airs on TV

iTunes prices should be lower, labels “don’t get it” »

Comments

Thats nothing.  I have a transparent (not translucent) ipod.  I would post you the photos I have just taken, but why would you like to see some photos of my hand?

Posted by Jimmy lay on May 3, 2004 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

haha ha funny :D !

Posted by not funny on May 3, 2004 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

Yucky! That scroll wheel looks gross! Let me just say to all of you that I got my mom a Pink iPod mini for her birthday (February 16th… what a great day to release the iPod mini… my mom’s birthday! (Granted it showed up 2 weeks later…should of ordered when Steve announced it…)) Anyway! It looks nothing like that picture (it’s a bright vibrant pink)! The scroll wheel (or the button for that matter) didn’t look nearly that dirty when it came ‘straight’ out of the box. Perhaps its been treated with something? Who knows (shrug)... the best way to know is wait and e-mail the buyer! Sophies1mom sure is risking her so far good feedback though if this is a fake. Who knows? Maybe she’s just stupid! Maybe it’s real! Maybe she just lives in a very dark house where she can’t see the true pink of the iPod… who knows…

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on May 3, 2004 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

its just the lighting people… I could take pictures of the mini and make it look red if you get the right light conditions ... that acctually isnt that bad of a lighting adjustment..

Posted by Sam on May 3, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

Whoa! This iPod has a protector on the wheel right? Youre seeing the plastic contacting to the plastic. Aside from that, this looks like a weird lady with bad lighting in her house. Besides, go through her other auctions and check out what she buys! Oh mama, more ugly, bad colored crappola. Enjoy your purple iPod, whoever the winner may be, hope your lighting throws too much blue on everything.

Posted by Mike W. on May 3, 2004 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

Would you really send $575 US and your house address to someone who spells “extremely” as “extreemly”? I wouldn’t, but then I do have an IQ above 100.

Posted by iBookiPod on May 3, 2004 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

That Apple acknowledged the issue and didn’t offer to replace it makes me skeptical.  Either way, the idea of a lavender iPod mini sounded pretty good to my GF.

She’s been waiting for her iPod mini, which I ordered from Amazon on the 29th of March (was supposed to be a Valentine’s day gift).  Pretty much any color would be good right about now.

Posted by http://homepage.mac.com/cherrypop on May 3, 2004 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

I can’t beleive I have a friend who wants to buy this, I told him that for about $40 less he could buy a 40 GB iPod with a 4 year warranty.  All he could see is that it was a “rare” find.  I also told him that it was not a bid deal that others have stepped forward saying that their iPods looked lavender in certain lighting conditions.  Call me stupid but I don’t see the point in paying way too much for something either looks the way it does because of the lighting or is a little darker than all the other.
I was able to take a picture of my 40 GB 3rd Generation iPod with certain lighting conditions that made my iPod look silver.  I hung up some tin foil behind me and shined a flashlight at an angle down the iPod.  I told him that I had a rare product, a 40 GB silver iPod.  He would not buy it :(

I also have another friend whose silver iPod mini is black in its lower right hand corner.  I told hime that he should auciton it off as “new” for $50000000000 because it was a rare find!

Posted by Whybother on May 3, 2004 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

You’re a mean friend. : ( I say it’s his money let him spend it!

Posted by Bob on May 3, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

What the guy should really do is post some additional pictures with the mini outdoors next to something where the color is familiar, a Stop sign, a Starbucks sign, or what have you… Then you have a reference.

Posted by PD on May 3, 2004 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

Bob, to me spending $575 on something that is marketed at $249 is a waste of money.  That is a 231% mark up because the color is “different” from the norm.  It would be like me selling you a 50 cent wooden pencil for $1.15, that is just not right.  Or like me selling you my $500 1998 For Escort for $1455.  I agree with you though, if he wants to waste his money then go ahead but I tried to give him all the information.

The owner of the “rare” iPod should post more pictures of it in different lighting conditions.

Posted by Whybother on May 3, 2004 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

I say we bombard the seller with e-mails asking her for other pictures and giving her a link to this forum. WE NEED MORE PICTURES!

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on May 3, 2004 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

That Ipod was charged.  Mini’s don’t come with a playlist. You need to add it.

Beth

Posted by beth on May 3, 2004 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

that’s not true. they do come with an “on the go” playlist preinstalled.

Posted by Josh on May 3, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

In typical daytime lighting - my iPod mini looks EXACTLY like the auction picture. Rather disappointing when I was expecting cotton-candy pink. In BRIGHT sunlight or in flash photographs it is, but otherwise it’s lilac.

Posted by Mark on May 3, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

Yep, its definitely bad lighting that is making that color look purple. I took a pic of my pink iPod mini with low lighting and this is what I got:

When I first got my iPod and posted my review in my blog, I initially said that I was disappointed with the color. I was expecting pink when it was more like a purple/pink.

Posted by Diana on May 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Shifty is right. The iPod is anodized. It is not dyed. That whole statement about the “dielot” is pure BS.

Posted by tonton on May 4, 2004 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

uh, dyes are used for anodizing. So much for that BS calling BS.

Posted by ms on May 4, 2004 at 1:51 AM (PDT)

IF it’s really lilac, he may have bought it from Colorware (colorware.com), they do a full service, I got my Ibook done, and I’m planning on doing my Ipod.  Not too shabby either, 300 beans for the Ibook and 50 for the Ipod.

Posted by Tony on May 4, 2004 at 6:46 AM (PDT)

yeah…

but what if it actually IS rare?  what if it is part of a lot that ends up being worth upwards of thousands of dollars over time?

then we’ll all feel stupid because our unbelief was forever immortalized on the internet and the “lavendar lot” of ipodMinis will go down in history as the first rare collectible mp3 player. how much would be willing to spend if you knew that this was in fact not just a “lighting” issue but an actual rare ipod?

Posted by koolio on May 4, 2004 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >