Lavender iPod mini? | iLounge News

Lavender iPod mini?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, May 3, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

An eBay auction has turned up a lavender iPod mini. We don’t know what to make of this, but we are checking with the auctioner for more proof. The ‘Buy It Now’ price has been set at a whopping $575. Buyer beware.

“DO YOU LIKE THE UNUSUAL? Then this mini iPod is for you. I ordered a pink iPod for my daughter and waited a month for it to come. When it finally came it was in a box that showed pink, but when we opened it, it was lavender! I spoke to the company and they say they don’t even make lavender and it was a mistake with the dielot. Personally I love the lavender but my daughter wants the pink one, so this one is up for auction. The company couldn’t believe it and says it will probably become a collectible. It is totally BRAND NEW & perfect, we opened the box and took the picture, it hasn’t been used.”

« New iPod commercial airs on TV

iTunes prices should be lower, labels “don’t get it” »

Comments

Why doesn’t someone just ask the seller for more pictures of the item at a few angles and in outside light?

Posted by twinattack on May 4, 2004 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

dont like it
lavender doesnt work on ipods at all
looks like someone just puked on a pink ipod and couldnt wash away.

Posted by Ed on May 4, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

seller told me she had to prove to apple it was really lavender so she must have more photos or something. erased her email so i can’t ask. i really would like to see them though.

Posted by jenna on May 4, 2004 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

If this iPod really is Lavender (Which I really doubt) then there would be more than just this one! Anodizing is a batch process, ie. batches of mini iPod’s would be dyed in the same bath meaning that if a mistake was made with colourizing and dye mixtures that would effect the whole batch. Plus you gotta remember that Apple have really good quality control, they would have binned them at the factory.

Posted by shifty on May 4, 2004 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Shifty posted: Plus you gotta remember that Apple have really good quality control

Now that I would have to disagree with. Apple’s quality control isn’t that great. If it was good, then there wouldn’t have been as many hardware problems with logic boards, or powerbook casing, or ipod HD and batteries.

Posted by dottz on May 4, 2004 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

tsk… tsk… spraypaint.

Posted by Quick Reply on May 4, 2004 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

When referign to quaility control I am talking about the asthetics of Apple products, take a look at a G5 PowerMacs case, that kind of finish is so hard to obtain. They must have spent so much time looking for a good supplier to do that job.

Posted by shifty on May 4, 2004 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Hey guys, I emailed the seller and this was her response:

Hi…I’m sophies1mom’s daughter. I started to get worried about the color because it is a pinkish purple and there have been alot of people writing and being rather skeptical. So I went into the apple store today and brought the iPod with me. The color of the iPod in the store is not as pink as what is shown on the box nor as pink as I thought it was supposed to be. It’s more of a pale pink as opposed to a bubble gum pink. However, I took out the iPod that I got from apple and it is, indeed, much more lavendar then the iPod in the store, in my opinion. It is a pinkish lavendar, so please do not be deceived by the photos as it does appear much more purple in the photo than it is in reality. It is lavendar, but like I said, it does have a pinkish tone. I’ve tried taking more photos, however because the item is metallic, it’s extremely difficult to get a photo without a glare and to look the color that it truly is. It is definitely not the factory pink and is much more of a purple/lavendar color. There were people in the store who were all surprised to see the color, including the guy who works at the apple store. But it does seem to be up to the eye of the beholder. I think it is obvious that it is lavendar and not the pink that I ordered, however my 79 year old grandfather couldn’t tell. So it’s really up to you if you want to take the chance or not. Happy bidding.

adkel

Posted by Sarno on May 4, 2004 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

“I know that he is a truly great and good man, for he told me so himself…” (W.S. Gilbert, H.M.S. Pinafore)

Caveat emptor.

Posted by Sir Alan on May 5, 2004 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

it’s a scam…nothing more classic than one person pulling on an emotional string- (my kid, I’m a mom). If it were genuine, and I had one to sell, I would make sure that I posted as many pics as possible. Metallic? Glare? that’s why you take multiple pics of multiple angles. Whoever falls for this should be pitied.I bet the seller is some high school kid.

Posted by g on May 5, 2004 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

I just received this email from the seller:
“hi, just wanted to let you know that I have ended the auction early because Apple has sent me another mini ipod in pink and it is the same lavender as the first. The box still shows the “cotton candy pink”. I called Apple again and they have researched and found out that the factory has indeed changed the color.  They’re going to have to do something fast about the box being pink because when you open the box it is a major surprise.”

so it looks like there is no such thing as a lavender ipod.

Posted by jenna on May 5, 2004 at 7:05 AM (PDT)

There is definitely more than one shade of pink out there—original pink and purplish-pink. We compared them side-by-side at an Apple store. I posted my personal experience for you below.

How much (if any at all) the market values differ, I don’t know.

I’ve since ordered another pink one for the daughter from Apple, and I SURE hope it’s really pink, not this purplish-pink.  Could be a long wait…

~~~FROM PREVIOUS POST~~~
iPod Mini in Purple!?
Much to our surprise, we just rec’d one of these “purple” ipods from Apple direct. My daughter had her heart set on a true pink one, and the one we rec’d definitely is not “pink”. It’s more purple than pink, and only looks pinkish in certain flouro light. Thinking that we might be imagining things, we even took it to the Atlanta Apple store to compare the two colors, and they are very different.

So, figuring this was just a manufacturing change, I call Apple this morning (800-676-2775) to make arrangements to swap it out with a blue one, and here’s what they explained to me:

I can send it back to exchange it for any color, including a true pink. Turns out, a small batch shipped out of Shanghai with the wrong purple color tone. The customer rep said that the informal office opinion was that these purple ones are going to be somewhat “collectible”, much like earlier iPods with upside down logo print. (?)

Me, I just joined the Lounge to see if anyone else experienced this color change. I really don’t know what to think about all this, but thought I’d share.

Now, what to do about my teenage daughter…

Posted by ipod-n-pop on May 5, 2004 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

I call shenanigans!

Tom-Foolery!

This is recockulous!

Posted by Angry Black Man on May 5, 2004 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

your all so skeptical about everything! the only way yuor ever going to prove this is to get this lavender one and a pink one next to each other and take a picture. or you’ll be here all day.

i dont know if the backlight issue is still ongoing, but my fairly new 3G iPod has a blue backlight, compared to my friends backlight which is *ugly* whitey grey…yes, in the same light.

Posted by silver_haze20 on May 5, 2004 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Okay…to put all of your skepticism to rest.  I AM THE SPOILED DAUGHTER and you can all stop calling my mother “stupid” now.  Go to [url=http://www.sadiemacintosh.funtigo.com]http://www.sadiemacintosh.funtigo.com[/url] and see more pictures.  I put up the photos with the glare so they’re not that good, but they clearly show the difference between the color on the box and the color of the iPod in the box.  We pulled the auction so there’s no need to get all upset about it now.  To address some of your issues:
1.  Apple did send me a replacement.  We figured we’d try to sell the first one ebay before sending it back because we truly thought it was going to be collectible…so why would we sell it for the same price you could buy it for in the store assuming that it would be a collectors item?  We pulled the auction however because we’re just too tired of dealing with all of your emails (it’s really not cool to post something saying that we should be bombarded with emails…please realize that there are, most probably, kind-hearted people on the other end of that bombardment) and we’re not so sure it’s going to be a collectible now.  I’m still not convinced that it’s not.  I’m keeping the lavendar ipod.
2.  The iPod was NOT USED.  It does come with a small charge and a pre-loaded mini-playlist.  If you hit any of the buttons on the wheel, the playlist pops up…even if you just took it out of the box to take a picture.
3.  My mother does have impeccable ebay feedback.  That is another reason why we ultimately pulled the auction.  There was way too much skepticism involving it to risk her ebay status, as she is a regular user of their service.
4.  You all need to TRANQUILO.  There was no LIE, no FARCE, no ILL INTENTIONS WHATSOEVER.  We were trying to offer an item that we were told would be a collectible to someone who might like it.
5.  I still think that it’s lavendar.  The guy at the apple store offered to buy it from me for $350.  So, take it for what it’s worth I guess.

Posted by adkel on May 5, 2004 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

Welcome to the real world, sugar. People lie and attempt to scam other people by posting “unique collectible” items with “human interest” stories attached.

Funny how the lighting looks so much more natural in your photos when I pop them open in photoshop and shift the hue til the ipod is pink. Do you usually use green lightbulbs when you’re taking photos of things?

Posted by JC on May 6, 2004 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

I am a campus reseller, we have indeed received two different “PINK” mini iPods.  The first one I saw matched the color on the box, the one I just received is indeed very lavender and really very pretty.  I am keeping it!  It’s not a scam, I am sure it is a dielot error, depending on how many make it to market, it could potentially be a rareity.  I certainly wouldn’t pay some outrageous price for it, but it is my favorite color!

Posted by trish on May 7, 2004 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

I just got a Pink iPod this week.  The color is in fact a lavender color.  Very different to the Pink color that it was supposed to be.  I will be taking it to the apple store for them to see.

Posted by Lori Ruiz on May 7, 2004 at 7:20 PM (PDT)

Seems she realized folks know she if full of crap-the auction was ended early by her choice wink

Posted by Ipodgirl on May 12, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Jesus Christ - would you people lay off adkel and her mom?!  You act like it’s not remotely possible for there to be a defect in color.  I don’t even want one of these contraptions but a friend of mine does.  I walk by the Apple Store in SoHo at least twice a week so I stopped in to check their stock today.  I was told the pink ones had a dye problem and would be shipping for a few more weeks.  Obviously some probably got to market.  Have some faith in people once in a while or you’ll end up old, alone and bitter.

Posted by Couldcareless on May 19, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >