Lawsuit reveals Apple secretly changed nano in December 2005
Apple has agreed to a $22 million settlement in a class-action lawsuit regarding scratches on the first-generation iPod nano. The case, which dates back to October 2005, alleged that first-gen nano screens “scratch excessively during normal usage, rendering the screen on the nanos unreadable, and violating state consumer protection statutes… and causing Plaintiff class members to incur loss of use and monetary damages.” Apple denied the claims, suggesting that users were subjecting the nanos to unusual forms of abrasion, but quietly made two changes, only one of which was known to the public. In addition to adding cheap sleeve-like cases to the nanos, the settlement reveals that Apple began selling “coated” iPod nano units in December 2005; some, but not all, units sold during this time received the coating. As a consequence, units with some iPod nanos were more susceptible to scratching than others, and the settlement provides differing remedies for different users.
According to the terms of the settlement, customers who did not receive slip cases with their nanos may be entitled to a cash payment of $25, while users who did receive the cases may be entitled to a $15 payment. Those with the scratch protection appear to be entitled to nothing. Of the three different first-generation units we tested in the settlement web site’s serial number verifier, one 4GB model was deemed eligible, while two 1GB units were not. The $22.5 million also includes attorneys’ fees of $4.5 million and litigation expenses of up to $200,000. A judge still needs to sign off on the terms of the settlement; a hearing on the matter has been scheduled for April 28.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?