LCD Remote for iPod? | iLounge News

LCD Remote for iPod?

A reader has informed us of an Apple iPod presentation on the Apple Sales Web website (members only). Of interest, is a slide depicting a photo of an iPod with an illustrated LCD remote, radio tuner and microphone. Two of the four accessories listed in the slide are shipping - the microphone and photo card reader by Belkin. And Griffin Technology has already announced an FM tuner for iPod. This information leads us to believe that one day there may be an LCD remote released as well. One can only hope. iLounge has verified the Apple iPod presentation for authenticity and concludes it is not a fake.

pic

« Audible User’s Guide for iPod

Recommend a song at DailyTunes.com »

Comments

yeah baby!

Posted by jmc on October 27, 2003 at 10:08 AM (CST)

Shweet.

Posted by MeanE on October 27, 2003 at 10:11 AM (CST)

oh please god let this be real (and let this be not 4G only)

Posted by varial on October 27, 2003 at 10:28 AM (CST)

I shall call him, miniPod

Posted by kainjow on October 27, 2003 at 10:46 AM (CST)

Hmmm not too keen on the LCD remote to be the size of the current remote.  It needs to be more slim like the Sony MD LCD remotes.

Posted by Schiz on October 27, 2003 at 10:50 AM (CST)

Exactly like you in every way….....but 1/8th your size…

Please let this be true…..

Ipod, it’s so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

Posted by WebBat on October 27, 2003 at 10:51 AM (CST)

SWEET this rocks, bein able to see ur playlists. ROCK ON APPLE!!

Posted by ipodkid on October 27, 2003 at 10:56 AM (CST)

Looks like it might be a wireless IR remote, ie the srt possibly used at home when using your pod as a hifi system.

Im not sure this one is meant for on the go podding.

Still you can hope can’t you

Posted by GuyVer on October 27, 2003 at 10:57 AM (CST)

Does the current navipod remote have the MENU button option?  If my vision serves me correctly, it looks like this LCD remote has the MENU button.  That’s cool in itself!

Posted by overcast10 in Cincinnati on October 27, 2003 at 11:38 AM (CST)

at home in my living room is the main time I’d want a remote - hopefully the current dock can support it?  maybe something like a base (with IR on the front of it) to sit under the dock and connect into it?

...mmmmm, ipod…

Posted by SPM on October 27, 2003 at 11:39 AM (CST)

Is it just me or does not look like a “remote” in the same mold as the one that ships with the ‘Pod currently. As someone pointed out earlier I would like a LCD remote much like Sony has available for their MD players. Slim, streamlined, backlit and displays song info.

That looks like the kind of remote I would use to play the iPod through the dock on my home stereo. Not quite what I was hoping for.

But it is hard to say for sure just using that picture. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by SpideyPod on October 27, 2003 at 11:52 AM (CST)

Forget the remote… I dig the looks of that FM Tuner. Much better looking than Griffin’s (which they don’t have for 3Gs anyway). Fits seamlessly on the top. LCD display of station. If only it was real.

Posted by Randy on October 27, 2003 at 12:09 PM (CST)

Well, the microphone looks NOTHING like the announced one.  I think this is just an “examples of accessories that are possible” just to get the 3rd party vendors thinking.

Posted by thenightfly42 on October 27, 2003 at 12:28 PM (CST)

I don’t think the iPod remote is IR. With a screen like that required to display, access, and control the iPod’s information, you’d have to have a constant connection with the iPod. I’m guessing its FM or Blutooth operated. An IR remote wouldn’t have the capability of or practicality for its intended purpose. If it was IR, you’d have to keep the remote pointed at the iPod’s IR transmitter so that it can first, sync with the ipod, second, retreave the display information, and third, control the iPod.

I’m hoping that it is an advanced wireless system like blutooth. Heck, even FM would be cool, but i don’t know if it can handle that much data required for diplay.

Posted by ILoveMusic on October 27, 2003 at 12:38 PM (CST)

As Randy said, that slides looks more like a concept slide than an in development slide. It showing developers/potential developers what types of applications will be possible through this new accessories protocol.

The “mono microphone”, though, may suggest the current hardware may not be suitable for high quality stereo line-in recording. No biggie for me, but may dash the hopes of those who have been waiting for that. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I doubt there will be a bluetooth remote since bluetooth, from what I understand, is seriously power hungry, although I suppose Belkin could release some big-ass block with 4 batteries and a suction cup for it… It would be nice to see something like an RF Remote Remote but with an LCD screen, though. If they combined that with an FM radio it would be the ultimate accessory.

Ric

Posted by ric on October 27, 2003 at 1:33 PM (CST)

finally!  the missing accesories I have been waiting for!

Posted by CoolKidd on October 27, 2003 at 1:58 PM (CST)

This remote looks like a mini-ipod. I find it rather redundant. Perhaps they should make it not look like the ipod.

Posted by Inuyasha on October 27, 2003 at 2:07 PM (CST)

bout time….lets hope they get here sooner rather than later….

Posted by jegonzales on October 27, 2003 at 2:08 PM (CST)

I wouldn’t get too many hopes up.  After all, this is a brochure for sales folk, aye?  It’s advertising the iPod’s accessory protocol, and how easy it would be, if one used this protocol, to build super cool remotes and microphones.  I don’t think that this suggests that one is actually on the way, or in development, just that one could be developed easily using this accessory protocol.

Posted by c.c.r. on October 27, 2003 at 2:42 PM (CST)

SWEET!!!
I want that remote NOW!!!

Posted by SlutMonkey on October 27, 2003 at 2:44 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >