Legalize file-sharing with taxes? | iLounge News

Legalize file-sharing with taxes?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, September 21, 2004
News Categories: Digital Media

“Instead the music industry should embrace file-sharers, said technology journalist and author Andrew Orlowski in a keynote speech at the Interactive In The City conference being held in Manchester. [...]

The inclusion of a small surcharge on monthly internet subscription fees that was given to record labels to pay artists could solve the problem, he said.”

« Report: Apple, HP plan 1 million iPods per month?

NewerTech and OWC announce new RoadTrip! FM Transmitter »

Comments

Quote from article:

“I do not have kids and I do not have a car but I do not have any objection to paying for roads and schools because it is better that they are there rather than not.”

Umm…No.  High speed internet service is already too high, if you ask me.  Yeah, I don’t have kids, and I pay taxes for schools, but schools are necessary for society, music is not.

For one thing, I do have music, but I go out and buy it at the store, because I want the better quality you get from the CD, versus the bit rate that you get from iTunes.  No one wants the album art, or lyrics anymore?

This is not the way to fix the problem, let’s tax everyone for it, even though probably 50% or more of the population that have internet access probably don’t file swap.

Hey, I’ve got an idea while were at it, let’s charge a small surcharge on our cable bill for people to go watch movies for free…now that’s something I could probably go for…oh, wait…my cable bill is too expensive too…

Posted by bikepodmini on September 21, 2004 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

its crazy to pay for something you don’t support, you don’t need, and the large majority of people do not partake in.

Posted by enjoilax on September 21, 2004 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

up here in canada there is a tax on blank cd’s, cassettes, vcr tapes, blank dvd’s, and mp3 players.  This goes into a fund which is paid out to artists.  According to the canadian legal system, and court cases, this makes file sharing, or at least music sharing, legal in canada.

Posted by Paul_Martin on September 21, 2004 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

in the US there is already a tax on burners and blanks, the RIAA forgets that when they’re suing people

Posted by Josh on September 21, 2004 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

The second this happened a few smart kids with ipods full of songs would start filling them up for other people for a fee. Sure it would be illegal but it would then be a ‘legal gray area’

Posted by me on September 21, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

“The inclusion of a small surcharge on monthly internet subscription fees that was given to record labels to pay artists could solve the problem”

I agree with you guys above, and the quote above is rediculous. I buy about 5 CDs/album downloads a month costing me about £50-60, i don’t think the record labels would agree that a “small”  surcharge on my £20/mo adsl would cover what they want in their profits…

Posted by bob on September 21, 2004 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

The problem with a tax on the connection is that the money is *NOT* going to go to the artists, it’s going to go to the RIAA. All these lawsuits they have been filing. When the acused settles, the money stays with the RIAA. Not one red cent is going to the artists.

Then there is the fact that about 90% of the music files on P2P networks are corrupt (by the RIAA’s paid hackers). If the tax were to happen, sure the RIAA would probably stop the practice, but what would stop the hackers or any other individual putting corrupt songs in the mix. I can just imagine, listening to a classical piece that is fairly quiet, having the stereo’s volume up pretty high, then a blast of over saturated noise blows up the speakers and possibly breaks windows (I have seen some high quality stereo’s that have subwooferws that make concerts seem quiet).

No thanks folks, I’ll stick to buying my CD’s/Downloads from legal “safe” sites.

Posted by Dave M. on September 21, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

I will continue as others to download music for free regardless of the riaa making money or not.
I do not think that it is fair however to raise internet bills when a large majority of people dont download. You then have the question of people living in dorms in college (like myself) who download music but dont pay an internet bill at all.
And for those who cant find good quality downloads. Soulseek.

Posted by Danny on September 21, 2004 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Hey Danny,

Put a lid on it, bigmouth!

Before you know it, Another P2P will be shut down because of bigmouth squealers like you who want to participate in online discussions!

Haven’t you learned anything from Kazaa?

Posted by Stylescraper on September 21, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

Wow, how about taxing all people in the world because they have ears and potentially can listen to music? Why should any government subsidize the music industry? So instead of using tax money for the good of the public/health care/shelters/police/fire department/natural disaster/public services, it would be used to pay the music industry. Oops, it’s supposed to go to the artists…. yeah right.

Posted by Illogical on September 21, 2004 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

If this goes through it will be seen as ok to download music since you would be paying for it. And i would expect to see an even sharper drop in c.d sales. More people would be using p2p networks since they pay for it why wouldnt they?

Posted by if this works on September 21, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

That would all be well and good if the artists were actually making any real money off of their albums.  Most don’t.  All of their income comes from concert ticket sales and the albums are no more (from the artist’s wallet’s standpoint) than promos for the tour.  The RIAA’s propoganda would like you to think that they are starving as it is since they give almost all the money to the artists but they just aren’t.  Go to downhillbattle.org for more info.

Posted by Down With Big Music on September 21, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

hello
i am planning to buy my first ipod and i was wondering which one to get the 3g or the 4g. i think the 3g is better because it is all touch. in the 4g i think there will be a problem with dust going in brhind the wheel sice it is a moving part. what is your opinion

Posted by new to ipod on September 21, 2004 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

I love ipod minis

Posted by Samuel John Fabray on September 21, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

new to ipod - you shouldn’t post that here, you should post that in the forum (see top of page) but since you’ve already posted now I say get the 4G (mainly cos I have one and it rocks.) The wheel is flush with the white casing so I don’t see how grime can get in.

Posted by smirf83 on September 21, 2004 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

“if this works” is right in saying if a “P2P tax” were levied on internet subs fees, people would assume it’s OK to use Kazaa et al because they’re essentially paying for it. Bad, bad move.

Posted by Zaccix on September 21, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

My Mini has 100% store bought music on it…

Posted by bikepodmini on September 21, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Zaccix is right.  What about all the illegal movies, games, and other software out on these P2P networks?  It’s not all about music.

Before long, they will tax us to post messages in forums too…

Posted by bikepodmini on September 21, 2004 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

Newsflash: Another liberal cries, “More taxes! More taxes!”

Idiot.

Posted by Mortimer on September 21, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

...but, will it be a per post tax like sales tax, or will it be a blanket tax, like this “music file swapping” tax would be…

Posted by bikepodmini on September 21, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >