Linksys, not Apple, launches iPhone | iLounge News

Linksys, not Apple, launches iPhone

image

The iPhone was announced today—but not by Apple. In an apparent attempt to take advantage of the recent hype surrounding the “iPhone” name, Cisco’s Linksys division has introduced a new line of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phones under the iPhone brand. The wireless phones are designed to work with online services such as Skype and Yahoo! Messenger. “The iPhone family of handheld devices harnesses the power of the Internet to enhance voice communications, integrate compelling information services, and deliver access to multimedia,” the company said. Everyone from consumers to industry analysts have referred to Apple’s long-rumored iPod-based cell phone as the “iPhone.” Cisco has owned the trademark on the iPhone brand since 2000 following the acquisition of Infogear.

« Juniper Visa Card with iTunes Rewards offered

Mix: iSmoothie, SEC filing, The Core, iTunes Japan »

Comments

haha, that’s great

Posted by ford on December 18, 2006 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Let’s hope that it is a whole lot better than their dog-awful routers.  Loads of features that just DON’T work!

Posted by Andy on December 18, 2006 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

So now it’ll be called the iTalk or iFone instead.

Posted by rsnerd on December 18, 2006 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Umm, shouldn’t someone have noticed before now that Apple didn’t own the rights to the name iPhone?  All these “news” sites proclaiming Apple’s upcoming iPhone, and yet no one bothered to do a simple check to see who owned that name?

I guess the guy who said the iPhone was *definitely* coming out today was right though, huh?

Posted by Nusm on December 18, 2006 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

Posted by Steve on December 18, 2006 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

Um, Apple didn’t come up with using the “i” prefix.  It was in use for years before Apple released the iMac and then continued releasing products that got more and more popular, like the iPod.  That’s why you don’t see Apple suing people for using the “i”.  They’re copycats just like the rest.  They just happen to be very successful copycats.

Posted by Brett on December 18, 2006 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Steve, that is just general fanboy-ism.  The “i” prefix has long been associated with anything Internet related for years even before Apple started the iPod thing.

It is amazing how popularity of a single product can make a large majority of people forget the previous uses of something.

Posted by Koby on December 18, 2006 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

Well, i see the iMob being launched is 2007…

Posted by ryan10ad on December 18, 2006 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

That’s funny.  But I don’t think the iPhone was going to be what it was called anyway, except by journalists and bloggers who wanted to post about something that didn’t exist yet anyway.  Like the upcoming iTV (which will probably be renamed due to ITV in the UK) it’ll be something different.

And they don’t need to call it the iPhone even if they stick with the ‘i’ theme.  I mean it’s not the iPlayer or iStereo, it’s the iPod.  I’m sure Apple knew about this and has a different name if there really turns out to be an iPhone.

I mean a phone made by Apple.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on December 18, 2006 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

So what products or services used the ‘i’ prefix before the iMac?

Posted by multimoog on December 18, 2006 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

I’m curious about all these iThings before the iMac too. I’ll admit that human memory is fallible, but I only remember eThings in mainstream use back then. Can anyone provide examples?

Unless I’m proven wrong, there might have been a few instances of iThings before the iMac, but it was the iMac that took it mainstream.

Regardless, I don’t think Apple has any ownership over creating iWords, unless they are trying to directly piggyback on things like the iMac or the iPod.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on December 18, 2006 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

internet mail… you know, imail.

Posted by bozz on December 18, 2006 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

Although I’m still skeptical of an Apple-branded Mobile Phone, they still have the option of calling it an “iPod Phone” or “iTunes Phone”.
I can’t see them following this Route anyway. My Money is still on something like the BlueEye for Telephone Connectivity.

Posted by Dan Woods on December 18, 2006 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Oh yeah, imail. Now I remember. 8-|

Yeah, the ‘e’ was used a lot until Apple came up with the ‘i’. Now ‘e’ products seem hopelessly outdated as to be quaint.

Back on topic: do you think there’s going to be much consumer confusion with people getting one of these hoping for an iPod phone? I’m taking a wild guess that the first Apple phone will be called either “iPod+talk” or “iPod+phone”.

Posted by Multimoog on December 18, 2006 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Hmmm, I’ve never heard of imail, but I have heard of iRiver has been around since way back in 2000.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 18, 2006 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

“Sorry… but any company, other than Apple, that uses the “i” prefix is a complete loser. I mean really…come up with something ORIGINAL Linksys!”

I completely agree.

Posted by ddsd on December 18, 2006 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

We knew it wasn’t going to be called the iPhone (not just because of the trademark; which I’m surprised to hear some people didn’t know about until now… it’s come up before), but it’s iMac, iPod, iWork, iLife, iBook. Not iPC, iDAP, iConsumer-version-of-business-type-software, iDigital Media Software Package, or iLaptop.

Posted by Levi on December 18, 2006 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

Perhaps then Apple can call it the iBabble?

Posted by SouthernGothic on December 18, 2006 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Still the whole iWhatever things is getting pretty old and I honestly feel that, weather they can or not, no one but Apple should use it. And even Apple has begun to stop using it.
ie; iBook into MacBook
And who has heard of iMail… or was that sarcasm bozz. As far as I know me and every other person in america has always said eMail but i guess if you want to bring that in to style whatever. “I have to send an iMail on my new iPhone equipped with iTunes. It’s right over here by my iMac which came with iLife and now has iWork.”

excuse me while I iVomit all over the place.

Posted by Andrew Horn on December 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

The iMac was introduced in 1998, and it looks like iRiver was introduced in 1999.

No dice.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on December 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >