Linux: Rhythmbox 0.7.1 released
Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally inspired by Apple’s iTunes. It is free software, designed to work well under the GNOME Desktop, and based on the powerful GStreamer media framework, or the Xine framework. Now supports iPod, which is still experimental. See README.iPod for more information.
What’s new in this version:
- Initial iPod support (see README.iPod) [Christophe Fergeau]
- Ignore files with unknown MIME types [Colin Walters]
- Support for Rating criteria in automatic playlists [Colin Walters]
- Disc number tags [Christophe Fergeau]
- Per-song automatic rating is now configurable [Michael Terry]
- Improved multiselection dialog [Colin Walters]
- Fix GStreamer configure checks [Christophe Fergeau, Colin Walters]
- Use weighted random algorithm when using Shuffle+Repeat [Jeffrey Yasskin]
- Remove Bonobo statusbar for now [Colin Walters]
- Disable "Browse by…" context menu if browser isn’t enabled [Colin Walters]
- Some state saving: search text, selected source [Colin Walters]
- Use GtkFileChooser in startup druid too [Christophe Fergeau, Colin Walters]
- Add audioconvert in pipeline [Colin Walters]
- Don’t do prelighting on ratings (avoids theme color issues) [Colin Walters]
- Actually save library if it didn’t exist before [Christophe Fergeau]
- Use GAtomic if available [Christophe Fergeau]
- Improved Xing header parsing [Christophe Fergeau]
- Improved duration reading using GStreamer [Christophe Fergeau]
- Fix flac configury [[email protected]]
- Don’t set sink to NULL to avoid pausing issue [Colin Walters]
- Fix occasional deadlock on startup [Colin Walters]
- Other various bugfixes
- GNOME, with GTK+ at least 2.2.
- An audio backend - you can use either
GStreamer or Xine. If you use
GStreamer, you will also need the following plugins:
- An output sink such as osssink, alsasink, or esdsink
- For MP3 support, you will need libid3tag from the MAD project. In addition, if you’re using the GStreamer backend, you will need the mad plugin.
- For Ogg Vorbis support, you will need libvorbis from the Ogg Vorbis project. GStreamer users will need the vorbisfile plugin.
- Likewise for FLAC support, you will need libflac. GStreamer users will also need the flacdec plugin.
- Tony Fadell to oversee restructured Google Glass project
- Bluetooth SIG announces Bluetooth 4.2
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015