Linux: Rhythmbox 0.7.1 released
Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally inspired by Apple’s iTunes. It is free software, designed to work well under the GNOME Desktop, and based on the powerful GStreamer media framework, or the Xine framework. Now supports iPod, which is still experimental. See README.iPod for more information.
What’s new in this version:
- Initial iPod support (see README.iPod) [Christophe Fergeau]
- Ignore files with unknown MIME types [Colin Walters]
- Support for Rating criteria in automatic playlists [Colin Walters]
- Disc number tags [Christophe Fergeau]
- Per-song automatic rating is now configurable [Michael Terry]
- Improved multiselection dialog [Colin Walters]
- Fix GStreamer configure checks [Christophe Fergeau, Colin Walters]
- Use weighted random algorithm when using Shuffle+Repeat [Jeffrey Yasskin]
- Remove Bonobo statusbar for now [Colin Walters]
- Disable "Browse by…" context menu if browser isn’t enabled [Colin Walters]
- Some state saving: search text, selected source [Colin Walters]
- Use GtkFileChooser in startup druid too [Christophe Fergeau, Colin Walters]
- Add audioconvert in pipeline [Colin Walters]
- Don’t do prelighting on ratings (avoids theme color issues) [Colin Walters]
- Actually save library if it didn’t exist before [Christophe Fergeau]
- Use GAtomic if available [Christophe Fergeau]
- Improved Xing header parsing [Christophe Fergeau]
- Improved duration reading using GStreamer [Christophe Fergeau]
- Fix flac configury [[email protected]]
- Don’t set sink to NULL to avoid pausing issue [Colin Walters]
- Fix occasional deadlock on startup [Colin Walters]
- Other various bugfixes
- GNOME, with GTK+ at least 2.2.
- An audio backend - you can use either
GStreamer or Xine. If you use
GStreamer, you will also need the following plugins:
- An output sink such as osssink, alsasink, or esdsink
- For MP3 support, you will need libid3tag from the MAD project. In addition, if you’re using the GStreamer backend, you will need the mad plugin.
- For Ogg Vorbis support, you will need libvorbis from the Ogg Vorbis project. GStreamer users will need the vorbisfile plugin.
- Likewise for FLAC support, you will need libflac. GStreamer users will also need the flacdec plugin.
- Microsoft debuts Surface Pro 3 laptop-replacing tablet starting at $799
- Windows Phone 8.1 supports Passbook passes
- Report: iWatch to use LG stepped battery tech
- Zynga acquires Clumsy Ninja maker NaturalMotion
- Report: Nest team to work on Google hardware
- Lunatik intros Lynk smart watch collection
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today