Listening to iPod through antique radios | iLounge News

Listening to iPod through antique radios

“The store’s owner, 50-year-old Takeyuki Ishii, recommends plugging an iPod into an FM transmitter, such as Griffin Technology’s iTrip, and listening to music through the speaker of an antique radio.

Ishii believes there is aural magic in the combination of the very old with the very new. Playing an iPod through an old radio or tube-driven amplifier gives it a special warmth and atmosphere, he says.”

« iTunes accused of overcharging UK customers

Additional info about Alpine iPod Interface »

Comments

Great idea!! But how do I get my iPod playing music thru my AM frequency only 1939 Stromberg Carlsson wireless.

Posted by Peebee on September 15, 2004 at 2:21 AM (CDT)

yah, all the old radios i own only work on AM.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on September 15, 2004 at 2:48 AM (CDT)

No Thanks, I’ve never been raised on that stuff. I like my clean crisp sounds.

Posted by hmmm on September 15, 2004 at 5:26 AM (CDT)

And I believe you should look at an iPod through 3D glasses from 1954 - but why don’t I get a news story about it?

Slow news day, huh?

Posted by Mortimer on September 15, 2004 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

Interesting theory, but completely unsound scientifically.  The ipod’s music, regardless of the sampling rate, is digitized.

Those who extol the virtues of tube-based stereo systems are mostly seeking to maintain the analog quality of the recording by eliminating silicon chips.

And, despite all the hoo-hah about digitized music versus analog music, I doubt that anyone can tell them apart except on very expensive equipment…. which is completely antethetical to the idea of the ipod, isn’t it?

Posted by Harold in Philadelphia, PA on September 15, 2004 at 9:10 AM (CDT)

I like having a shot of dry Martini, Barbados Rum, or Lagavulin before listening to my iPod, it adds a special warmth and atmosphere.

ARGH! This is not news! This is iLoveiPod-Stuff! Could you please add such an area to this place and put all the “I like the way my iPod feels when it touches my skin at night”, “iPod killed my relationship”, “iPod, finally esteem you can buy” and the like in there?! Thanks!

Posted by Oliver :) on September 15, 2004 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

Wow. All the hate man. I think this is a cool idea. Not saying this is the end all be all way to listen, but old equipment does have a particular sound to it. You can say all you want that is does not but it does.

I think this is just a fun idea this guy had and see no reason why it is no more ligit than spending hundreds of dollers on headphones for your iPid

Posted by Cory ;) on September 15, 2004 at 10:02 AM (CDT)

Christ people, if you don’t like the story, don’t read it and ESPECIALLY don’t comment about it.

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on September 15, 2004 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

whiney peouple suck

Posted by whiney people suck on September 15, 2004 at 11:00 AM (CDT)

you realize the hypocricy of your own post?
it’ll be cool listening to trance or heavy metal through an old timely radio.  you can fool your grandparents!
“ohh it’s time for the president’s weekly radio address…WTF!!”
but yes this is a slow news day.

Posted by AlphaUltima in San Jose on September 15, 2004 at 11:12 AM (CDT)

I would love to be able to play my iPod through the AM Radio in my Classic Car which only has an AM radio. If anyone knows a way to do it please let me know.

Posted by [email protected] on September 15, 2004 at 11:12 AM (CDT)

Well, going through an FM Transmitter would make it sound awful no matter how good the tube radio is.
The iPod’s line-out into a tube preamp would give you the warmth without losing all the fidelity. I’ll surely give it a try when I get my new tube preamp for my stereo system!! :D

Posted by Rafa on September 15, 2004 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

Is it just me, or does this sound like what really cool bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Portishead do to parts of their riffs to create a cool “antique” flavor?

Portishead renders the need for an iPOD through an “antique” radio unecessary. I’t built into the music already!

Posted by Stylescraper on September 15, 2004 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

Eh, incredibly old radios I don’t have, but I do have a c. 1974 Marantz tube amp. And beleive you me,  for stereo music I’ve yet to hear any amp thats under $1500 touch it.

And yeah, the iPod sounds awesome through it, but I wouldn’t use an FM transmitter, I just use the line out.

Posted by Plastic Jesus on September 15, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

my question is, why does the author specifically say to use an ipod?  what, it wouldn’t sound as cool coming out of a rio karma? or a jriver?  just say fucking mp3 player you old biddy.

Posted by dave on September 15, 2004 at 2:08 PM (CDT)

Sniff glue bad.

Posted by AMG on September 15, 2004 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

Is it me or is th eiTrip FM tuneer thing REALLY weak!!!  I have to put my iPod and the attached iTrip right up close to the stereo for it to work.

Posted by Kevin on September 15, 2004 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

Opinions aside, where this guy is losing me is the fact that an FM transmitter would only suit a small number of old-time “tube” radios to begin with. The current 88-108Mhz FM band didn’t catch on until after WWII. By 1948, the transistor had been invented, and transistor-based radios quickly became popular in the 1950’s. That doesn’t leave many radios to work with, and certainly not the kind most people would refer to as “old-time” (such as the famous Crosley “tombstone” design from the 1930’s, etc.). In short, you’d need an AM radio transmitter for most classic radios, and I doubt those are produced in any quantity (if at all). I’ll stick to playing my iPod through headphones, thanks.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Guest on September 15, 2004 at 7:15 PM (CDT)

I think by antique radios he meant any radio thats been around for more than 20 years :)

Posted by Hitesh Sawlani on September 15, 2004 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

I used to work in an antique radio museum, and believe me, the radios from the 30s and 40s have a beautiful sound. It may have something to do with the valve technology, but mostly it was the wooden cases. As with a violin or an accoustic guitar, the wooden case acts as a resonating chamber, filling out and warming the sound in a way that’s impossible to reproduce electronically.

Posted by Andrew D. on September 15, 2004 at 10:37 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >