Listening to iPod through antique radios | iLounge News

Listening to iPod through antique radios

“The store’s owner, 50-year-old Takeyuki Ishii, recommends plugging an iPod into an FM transmitter, such as Griffin Technology’s iTrip, and listening to music through the speaker of an antique radio.

Ishii believes there is aural magic in the combination of the very old with the very new. Playing an iPod through an old radio or tube-driven amplifier gives it a special warmth and atmosphere, he says.”

« iTunes accused of overcharging UK customers

Additional info about Alpine iPod Interface »

Comments

To hear an iPod on an AM Radio, you’ll need to get a Part 15 AM Transmitter. There are many Part 15 FM transmitters available specifically for the iPod, but nobody I know is marketing AM at this point.
You might look for the “Radio DJ” by Wild Planet - it’s an inexpensive AM transmitter that originally sold for roughly $20.

Posted by Johnathan on September 16, 2004 at 1:04 AM (PDT)

Takeyuki Ishii is an idiot

Posted by suprfli on September 16, 2004 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

“my question is, why does the author specifically say to use an ipod? what, it wouldn’t sound as cool coming out of a rio karma? or a jriver? just say f****** mp3 player you old biddy.” - dave

Hey guys…before you comment…click that ‘More info’ link and actually read the article…it’s pretty interesting. Oh and it answers your question in the second paragraph:
“Located on the second floor of an old apartment building, And Up specializes in selling antique radios and, of all things, iPods.”

So…yeh.

Posted by iSpider on September 16, 2004 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

Thanks Johnathan for the info on the Radio DJ. I will pick one up and repackage it for use in my car.
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by ggame in Burnaby, BC, Canada on September 16, 2004 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

It’s an interesting, cool idea from a guy who’s an antique radio and IPod afficionado.

No need to be so harsh if you don’t feel interested in trying it, it’s not for everyone.

Posted by cabbit on September 17, 2004 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

Im a little curious who has a tube radio with FM just lying around? What type of person would go out and buy one just to listen to thier ipod on it?

Posted by WOLF MAN on September 18, 2004 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

I am looking for an 8-Track adapter so I can play my iPod in my car…anyone know where I can get one?...lol.

Posted by Adapter on September 18, 2004 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

I love how so many of the “kids” posting here speak there mind (which I am quite comfortable with), but it is too bad that they don’t know what they are talking about.

Have you ever listened to the sounds coming out of an old tube based amp or tube radio? Its warmth is almost magical when compared to the “dry” sounds out of today’s average stereo amp.

I am only 36, but nonetheless, I can appreciate this story. Please folks, don’t post negative comments if you have no idea what you are talking about.

“...kids today…”

I never thought I would sound like my father, but it happens. What really makes my day, though, is you kids are someday going to be saying the same thing….he he he.

Posted by Joe on September 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

I agree with Joe. Don’t speak unless you have some sort of clue as to what you are taliking about.
i am 26 and am the proud owner of a 1939 Stromberg Carlsson which I have restored and brought back from the dead. My only problem with it is that I do not enjoy listening to AM radio (too boring for my liking) so i will be looking into the Radio DJ AM transmitter for my iPod. My friends already think I am nuts when i fire up old “Strommy” once in a while but wait until they hear a Paul Oakenfold set blasting from that speaker !!! I can’t wait to see the look on their faces !!!

Posted by PeeBee on September 18, 2004 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

I am a “kid today”, and i think that is an incredible idea. I play guitar and am a tone freak. I think tube powered amps and such sound so much better than transistor counterparts. THey are so much fuller and warmer. I think its a great idea but i spent all my money on my ipod and i dont know where im gonna find the money for tube powered equipment

Posted by Andrew on September 18, 2004 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

and suprfli is an idiot

Posted by andrew on September 18, 2004 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

For those of you with a soldering iron, take a look at the schematics for a tube AM transmitter on <http://antiqueradio.org/lil7.htm>.

Posted by Logich on October 5, 2004 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

German tube radios have FM band as well as AM & SW. My ipod sounds great through my tube radio an Emud T7 -1957. Other makes still out there Telefunken , Grundig, Blaupunkt etc. Lots of collectors.

Posted by matt on July 28, 2007 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

I have an old console stereo cabinet (1964) with analog receiver, amp, and pre-amp.  I plugged my iPod into the receiver with an RCA cable, and it sounds amazing!  The tube amplifiers make a huge difference in the sound—especially with music that is heavy on the low end (old Black Sabbath is the best).

Posted by courtney789 on December 29, 2007 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

I just recently got into old tube radios, after collecting solid state radios for a few years.  Simply put, the tube sound blows away transistors.
If you go on E-Bay, you’ll find plenty of working AM-FM tube radios and many of them sell for a lot less than you might think.  Some even have shortwave.  There are American brands, German and Japanese styles available.  All ages.  I highly recommend trying one.

Posted by Angelo on April 24, 2009 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

Powercom in Australia have a iopd - am transmitter, PLL frequency locked, cost AUS $ 285 .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) 61 428 535 245

Posted by Mark on September 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM (PDT)

A relatively new company sells an AM transmitter called the RediRad for the ipod or any such device.  Can’t remember their name, but a search for RediRad should bring it up.

Posted by David Maxwell on November 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

i have an airport express connected to my minidiscrecorder that is connected to the phono input of my ‘53 kaiser tuberadio, and it sounds like heaven. very much recommended!

Posted by hans on May 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

I have an RCA Magic Eye Radio and am looking to do this exact thing (mainly because I want to hear music, not talk radio coming out of a 1930’s radio).

Thanks to the people who were helpful and a big screw you to those who can’t fathom why you would have an antique radio in the first place.

;-j

Posted by Gun665 on May 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2