Live 8 charitable music events now underway across world
Every three seconds, a child dies in Africa from starvation or disease: 30,000 die every day. The continued presence of AIDS and armed conflicts, combined with a tremendous debt burden and widespread illiteracy, have kept the people of the African continent from achieving their deserved equality on the world stage.
Twenty years have passed since the worldwide charitable music event known as Live Aid took place. Today, the world’s wealth is more concentrated than ever before, and those without resources still need help - this time, your signature, not your money.
This weekend, millions of people have gathered at music events around the world to convince world G8 leaders that the era of misery in Africa should end. Cancelling the debts of impoverished African nations - wiping the slate clean - will enable these countries to use their money to help their own people, rather than paying interest on debts they will never clear. Your signature on the petition below could help convince the G8 to erase African debts, and aid these countries on the road to self-dependence.
Philadelphia, Paris, Johannesburg, Rome, Berlin, Tokyo, Moscow, London, Cornwall, and Barrie, Canada are all taking part in today’s events. Top artists including Coldplay, Razorlight, The Killers, The Dave Matthews Band and many, many more are participating to raise awareness for this effort.
Update: The song, “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, which opened the Live 8 event in London performed by Sir Paul McCartney and accompanied by U2 is now available to download from the iTunes Music Store. Also available is the live rendition of the Beatles track “The Long and Winding Road” also performed by McCartney. Both tracks cost $.99 and all proceeds go to Live 8.
- Volkswagen to unveil iBeetle
- Logitech debuts Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control remotes
- Facebook announces Android event; new iPhone rival?
- Jobs films: Kutcher pic delayed, Funny or Die makes movie
- Article details messy Beats by Dre-Monster split
- Apps: After Burner Climax, Little Mermaid, ProCutX, Twitter 5.3
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple drops refurbished fourth-gen iPad, mini prices
- Judge: US can show Apple e-book pricing conspiracy
- AT&T’s GoPhone to add LTE/HSPA+ support for iPhone
- Report: iOS 7 ‘black, white, and flat all over’
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- OtterBox acquires LifeProof
- Lynktec TruGlide Pro Precision Stylus
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox