LoadPod comes to San Francisco | iLounge News

LoadPod comes to San Francisco

LoadPod, the service that rips your CD collection into your iPod so that you don’t have to, has added local service in several new areas, including the San Francisco, Sacramento, and Berekely areas of California; the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area; the Minneapolis-St. Paul area of Minnesota; and the Detroit Metro area of Michigan. The LoadPod network now includes twenty-two States, including major metropolitan areas such as New York City, Boston, Miami, Phoenix, Nashville, St. Louis, Baltimore, Orlando, Salt Lake City, and San Diego.

« Mac/Windows: iTunes 4.6 released

Shure E2 earphones for $69.00 »

Comments

at $1.50 per CD, you would have to be either really lazy or totally strapped for time to do this.  i have about 150 CDs, which means it would cost $225.00 for something that I could easily do myself.  oh well, i guess some people just dont have the patience.

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on June 9, 2004 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

LoadPod forces you to turn off your Auto-Sync function and leave it off permanately.  Otherwise, you run the risk of your iPod erasing all the tracks you just paid for because they’re not on your local HD.

They also won’t rip “scratched” CDs for you (but they still count against you).  You would think a “professional” ripping service would know some tricks or have the proper software to erase scratches and skips in a track.

Posted by Ryan on June 9, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Speaking of autosync, wouldn’t it be really useful if it could only work in one direction - i.e. new stuff on the computer gets automatically transferred to the pod, but the user manually deletes song he/she doesn’t want on it?

Posted by iPoddity on June 9, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

do you think that these companies make backups of everything they rip?  hmm, if they do…...

the mind just wonders what an evil individual could do with such an immense collection of rippins.

Posted by omega on June 9, 2004 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

wow 128 AAC….what a waste…..you pay them for them to add music to their digital music collection….but for this service to be in 22 states someone must be using it!

anyone ever pay for this?  why?

Posted by rivlinm in saint louis on June 10, 2004 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

Now that’s the best idea I heard in a while.  That’t not including the infomercials late at night.  I will rip your entire cd library for .75 cents a cd.

Wait till the RIAA gets a hold of this.  LoadPod is stealing music.  22 states and a bunch of lazy people LoadPod must have terabytes of music by now

Posted by toothpaste in NYC on June 10, 2004 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

I am the Boston rep for LoadPod, and yes people do use it. One person actually had me rip 400 CDs (all authentic CDs) for them, if you do the math thats 600 dollars, and yes I really did get paid to do it. You are all saying that this service is a waste, and I can understand where you are coming from. But you have to realize where we are right now, on the internet in a forum designed specifically for people who enjoy their iPod so much that want to talk about it. Now think about some of the people that get iPods… people who aren’t computer savvy, people without computers, people with computers that simply don’t have the time or space to rip their collection.

Now going back to my original point, ripping CDs actually takes time… I have a G5 and a iBook, it took me 20 hours of constant monitoring over the course of three evening sessions to get all 400 CDs ripped (WITH 2 COMPUTERS!). Now just imagine that you work all day, just got an iPod and want to use it but don’t want to hover over your computer for hours on end getting all your tunes on there. That is where LoadPod comes in. I would estimate that it would have probably taken my client about 100 hours to do this if they elected to do it on their own. Now factor in two hours a night for every night (because who wants to just sit there for hours watching a progress bar when you have a family, work, tv, social life) and that quickly amounts to 50 days.

I can see where this service comes in, you just need to think outside of the box.

And for those that are curious about my music library before and after this service I can honestly say that it didn’t change. I didn’t even want any of the music that my client had. Also, 400 CDs came out to 18.5 gigs, now a lot of people (here and on other messageboards) are saying that we will never have to rip CDs because after a while we will already have all the CDs another person has. Well, I don’t know about you but I don’t have terabytes of space and even if I did I wouldn’t want to fill it with the likes of Annie Lenox and Showtunes just so I could save myself some time and effort a month or two down the road.

Thats my 2c. BTW, I would just love to see someone rip their entire music collection in two days and say that it was easy.

Posted by mmr on June 17, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)