Localscope adds Wikipedia, CitySearch
Cynapse has released an update to Localscope adding support for new location information sources and refinements to existing Google Places integration. Localscope is a location browser for the iPhone that allows users to explore the area around them for people, places, photos and other information collected from multiple search engines and social networks. Localscope allows users to search manually or look up information for what is around them, including geo-tagged photos and videos and points of interest, view results on a map, share that information with their friends and even integrate with many third-party navigation apps to get directions. Information is aggregated from a variety of sources including Google Local and Places, Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Panoramio, Flickr, Picasa, Bing and several others.
The latest update adds Wikipedia and CitySearch to the list of information sources, allowing users to discover landmarks, historical locations and other points of interest from Wikipedia and find restaurants, local business and services using the Citigrid yellow pages info base. The new version also brings back Google Local search in tandem with the Google Places introduces in the last update, allowing users to choose the best of the two Google services for their own particular needs. Three new pre-defined search terms have also been added for Lawyers, Plumbers and Bakeries along with new and improved icons and updated Facebook API integration. Localscope requires iOS 4.3 or later and is available from the App Store for $2.
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Bio Inc.
- EU criticizes Apple for in-app purchases (Update)
- Paul McCartney re-releases five classic albums as iPad apps
- PayPal 5.5 app update scans, stores loyalty cards
- Apple launches iTunes Pass credit system in Japan
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads