Lockup bug hits EA iPod game Spore Origins | iLounge News

Lockup bug hits EA iPod game Spore Origins

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, August 26, 2008
News Categories: iPod

image

Readers and iLounge Editors have discovered that a lockup bug affects Electronic Arts’ new iPod game Spore Origins, released last night for the fifth-generation iPod, iPod classic, and third-generation iPod nano. The lockup, which causes the iPod to freeze while the hard drive is still spinning and requires a hard reset to remedy, takes place on the game’s initial loading screen on iPod classics running both 1.0.x and 1.1.x software; we have tested using the most recent software version 1.1.2. It does not appear to affect the third-generation iPod nano or fifth-generation iPod running the latest software. Are you having trouble with Spore Origins? Let us know in the comments below.

« AT&T adds new international data plans for iPhone

Intuit launches QuickBooks Online for iPhone, iPod touch »

Comments

Nothing new. How am I NOT suprised? Over half my FREE apps never seem to work when I launch them.

Posted by iPudder on August 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

It locks up my 80Gig iPod Classic running the latest (1.1.2) software.

Posted by Will Miller on August 26, 2008 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

It locks up on my 30 GB 5G iPod with latest software as well.

Posted by halftone72 on August 26, 2008 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Locks up my 80GB iPod, but I don’t have to manually reset, just have to wait a couple minutes and it does it on its own.  Still, the game doesn’t work.

Posted by A Beck on August 26, 2008 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

I downloaded it last night to my fully updated 160GB Classic.  When I start the game, I hear and feel a “twing” in my hard drive and then my iPod resets.  I contacted Apple today—we’ll see what they say…

Posted by ingallspod on August 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

The game locks up my 160 GB iPod Classic. It freezes up as described above. My iPod is up to date and no other games crash. I can’t believe EA didn’t try to run the game on the iPod Classic. I hope there is a fix soon, if not I need a refund.

Posted by Alex on August 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

My iPod Classic 80Gb v1.1.2 also freezes up on the loading screen :(

I’m extremely disappointed with Apple and EA, I mean, it’s not likes there’s a million possible devices that this will run… it’s only 4 devices.

And doesn’t Apple checks the quality of the apps before posting them on iTunes Store?

Posted by Thy on August 26, 2008 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Spore Origins has been removed from the iTunes Store.

Posted by blocktaxman on August 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

I have an 80GB iPod Video (5th Gen) and have the ‘Spore: Origins’ game on it. This game has successfully loaded only once since it was installed via iTunes. Most of the lock-ups occur during the initial loading screen, but my pod seems to automatically reset itself unlike others who are having to manually hard reset. The one time this game loaded on my pod, I was able to browse the Main Menu, adjust my volume via the main manu, but the game locked-up while loading the Aquarium Mode. The only setting I changed before successfully loading the game was disabling the “Video Out” function in the Video Settings menu of the pod. However, since locking-up during loading of the Aquarium Mode, the game has not successfully loaded since then… at least I got to see the Main Menu once!

Posted by BynxofBrataccas on August 26, 2008 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

I also have it locking up on my 160gig Classic…..has run twice, ran well through several levels THEN froze and lost all of my progress (at least on the one startup that it worked since initial crash.

Posted by Scott Ljunggren on August 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

I have a 160 GB i-Pod Classic running firmware version v1.1.2. The fist time I tried to play “Spore:Origins”, I was able to get to the main menu, but crashed after I made a menu selection. Ever since then, it won’t progress beyond the loading screen. It freezes up and I have to reset the i-Pod

Posted by Harry Thompson on August 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

80 GIG iPOD CLASSIC.  Downloaded last night and had trouble loading, needed a hard restart every time, and then I changed the video settings to TV out off Signal NTSC, TV Screen Standard, fit to screen-OFF, and Spore has been working for the last hour no problem smile

Posted by TravNav on August 26, 2008 at 7:10 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem. I still don’t see how this managed to slip past Apple.  Anyways, I just did what TravNav said and it seems to be working now. Thanks man!

Posted by Jrodnthe850 on August 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Changed the Fit-To-Screen option to OFF and have been able to play since.  Three cheers to TravNav!

Posted by blocktaxman on August 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

i also had the same problem till i changed my video settings…
thanks!

Posted by jesse on August 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

Yeah, i was all excited to play spore on my ipod, quickly hit purchase on itunes, installed it, then watched in disbelief as my ipod continually froze, shut off, reset, and tweaked out as soon as i tried to start the game. 80g ipod classic, 1.1.2 firmware. this sucks!

Posted by Jonathan on August 27, 2008 at 12:01 AM (PDT)

Apple just sent me a really stupid response which had nothing to do at all with my question about what is happening with the ‘Spore’ game for iPod. They sent me some canned response about “how it takes three days for items in an order to process”...

Process? I’m talking about a game on my pod that WON’T WORK!

Stupid Apple Computers. Thoughtfully designed?
I could write a book about how that is not so as far as
this stinking iPod is concerned.

Posted by BynxOfBrataccas on August 27, 2008 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

My iPod (gen 5) is running version 1.3, and it’s locking up about 25% on the progress meter on the loading screen. After being locked up for 1-2 minutes, it hard resets the iPod. So it’s not just the 1.0.x/1.1.x folks suffering from this issue.

Posted by djxavier13 on August 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

I got a reply from Apple about troubleshooting Audiobooks. Fantastic.

At least I can play while my own music is playing in the background. Try to turn on the in-game music, and it crashes.

So what, re-fund, re-download when it’s fixed? Any word?

Posted by Bjorn on August 27, 2008 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

I just spent the morning contacting every Electronic Arts support group via telephone… they don’t seem to know jack about what’s going on with ‘Spore Origins’.

Bad show, EA/Apple. Bad show…

Posted by BynxOfBrataccas on August 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >