Lockup bug hits EA iPod game Spore Origins | iLounge News

Lockup bug hits EA iPod game Spore Origins

image

Readers and iLounge Editors have discovered that a lockup bug affects Electronic Arts’ new iPod game Spore Origins, released last night for the fifth-generation iPod, iPod classic, and third-generation iPod nano. The lockup, which causes the iPod to freeze while the hard drive is still spinning and requires a hard reset to remedy, takes place on the game’s initial loading screen on iPod classics running both 1.0.x and 1.1.x software; we have tested using the most recent software version 1.1.2. It does not appear to affect the third-generation iPod nano or fifth-generation iPod running the latest software. Are you having trouble with Spore Origins? Let us know in the comments below.

« AT&T adds new international data plans for iPhone

Intuit launches QuickBooks Online for iPhone, iPod touch »

Comments

I just received this e-mail response from Apple…

I understand your purchase of “Spore Origins” will not play on your iPod and causes your [iPod] to freeze.  I realize this may be frustrating and I will be happy to assist you.

Apple is currently working toward a resolution for the issue you have reported.  You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available.

Thank you for your patience. Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible.

Have a great day.  Cheers.

Sincerely,

iTunes Store Customer Support

Doesn’t really resolve too much unfortunately…

Posted by blocktaxman on August 27, 2008 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

I contacted Apple yesterday and am still waiting for a response that isn’t automated.  I’d like a refund or credits….

Posted by ingallspod on August 27, 2008 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

I purchased the Spore Origins for my 3rd gen ipod nano and it’s been working fine.  Got through 2 levels so far and haven’t had any bugs.  Guess it is just with the other lines that it’s a problem.

Posted by My2Cents on August 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

it work fine on my third gen. great game!

Posted by vincent on August 29, 2008 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

HOW DO I BEAT LEVEL 18?!?!?

Posted by bob on August 31, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

#25: If you’re having trouble, rather than trying to swim in orbit around the large fish, or bounce the small fish into them, continue swimming away from them in the general direction of Northwest or Northeast. Eventually you’ll be able to gather enough stray DNA balls, which tend to come in twos, to complete the stage.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

I downloaded Spore using the last version of iTunes 7.x - but could never get the game to lode on the iPod - iTunes 8.0 is no better - I have done a reset - I see the game listed but it apparently is corrupted - reset autofit screen to off but still won’t launch

Posted by Wealthywine on September 11, 2008 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

TravNavs suggestions seem to have wroked. After loading iTunes 8.01 and a second restore, making sure vid does not auto resize - and the game will boot fine on my 80Gig iPod Classic

Posted by Wealthywine on September 11, 2008 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

I just bought it for my 30g iPod, and it hangs it and then got an error message that said to delete it and reinstall it.  I deleted it - saved it - now can’t find it!  So typical!!  Of course NO HELP on iPod or iTunes website, WHO wrote that!!??  So now, out $ for a game I can’t play, can’t find, and LOVE!!!!!  Any suggestions????
Hey Apple - how about an actual SUPPORT site that people can go to to get real time help with iTunes purchases - that would be a GREAT!!

Posted by phoenixrzzg on September 13, 2008 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

Humm i got Spore for my “80 GIG Classic” using version 1.1.2 loaded it up and run’s perfectly fine! no problems. My mate had a problem just as the freezing up, all he did was restore it and now it runs fun

Posted by Jesse on September 17, 2008 at 3:34 AM (PDT)

I just bought the new iPod touch and bought the spore origins game.  It was working great for the first 10 levels or so, but now when it loads up it stops and brings me back to the home screen of my iPod touch.  Does Apple or EA have a solution yet?

Posted by Josh on September 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

I can’t get passed level 18 on Spore. (for the ipod.)

Posted by Bob on September 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

it works perfectly for my classic…

Posted by pwnage on September 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Getting the same thing on Spore for my PC.  Exactly the same thing.  It will play for 2 minutes to 4 hours, then it locks up and the only way to get out is to hard kill the computer.

Posted by john on November 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2