Logitech debuts mm22 speaker system for iPod | iLounge News

Logitech debuts mm22 speaker system for iPod

pic Logitech today announced its first iPod product—the mm22 portable speaker system. The system, which can be powered by either batteries or an included AC adapter, features four neodymium micro drivers that produce “rich, smooth sound with tremendous depth for their size.” The mm22 portable speakers can be folded into a small traveling case when you’re on the go. The traveling case holds the speakers, power adapter, two speaker cables, and also has enough room to store the iPod. The Logitech mm22 speaker system comes with three cradles to fit any hard drive-based iPod. It will be available for $79.99 later this month.

pic

pic

pic

« Mix: Virgin, Cardboard case, Luck o’ the iPod, ex24

Analyst: Sony, Napster offerings won’t rock Apple »

Comments

Am I crazy, or does this look exactly like the original version Altec-Lansing’s InMotion speaker system?

Posted by eben on March 9, 2005 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

Seems like I’ve seen this somewhere before… hmmm <glances to the right at AL InMotion on desk>

Posted by ACLeroK212 on March 9, 2005 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

So iPodLounge, what happenned to the whole ‘clones’ policy thing?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 9, 2005 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

i dont consider this is a rip off version of the inmotion speakers, at least compared to hundreds of similar cases and other accessories.

Posted by frankthetank on March 9, 2005 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

No, it’s not exactly a rip off, but those drivers are the EXACT same thing.

Posted by ACLeroK212 on March 9, 2005 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

i liked those speakers better the first time…. when they were altec lansing!

Posted by mdwsta4 on March 9, 2005 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

From what I have noticed all small speaker systems are using drivers that look exactly the same. As for the “clones” comment, this speaker set has a separate case to hold itself, cables, and even the ipod and its overall shape and movement is nothing like the altec lansing sets.

Posted by arquiteto on March 9, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Well it looks pretty similar but there is no charging cradle as there is on the AL im’s.  So they are not identical.  The im’s are better…

Posted by Alexcue in LA on March 9, 2005 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Long-and-thin is an interesting idea to get stereo separation in a small space. Maybe if they folded out flat ALL the way there would be even more separation.

It hardly seems like a rip-off to me… it’s white with chrome drivers—both of which have been used in products since the first eMac and the Harmon Kardon Mac speakers, and probably long before.

Products that fill the same niche will have SOME similarity of course.

The mechanism would be really clever if the iPod-holder wasn’t a separate piece to carry!

Posted by Nagromme on March 9, 2005 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the better pics.  You’re right, these look a bit differrent.

Kinda like Logitech said, “lets take a nice product, and change it just enough to not be accused of ripping it—but, keep the same visual cues of that product, so people will think of it when they see ours.”

Kinda like eMachines did with the eOne.  Oh well, I don’t get paid for either.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 9, 2005 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Question for all of you. Is this a good option for say going camping and listening to some music? Is it loud enough or should I look into another option.

Posted by Goodlovin in chicago on March 9, 2005 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

All the the portable stereo systems for the iPod seem to look simmilar, people aren’t going to make drastic changes to something that is already sucsessful.  I guess one thing we have to take into consideration is that they aren’t going to change the color so it won’t match the iPod. Also, when it comes to these portable devices, there isn’t plenty of room for variation…

I’m still waiting on something better than the Logic3 iStation to come out so I can get my hands on that.  There are a few things that I’d like to see.

RF Remote
2.1 Sound (2 speakers with a mini-sub)
Superb sound compared to most fold-up systems
No detachable parts to worry about

Once someone comes up with something better than all these clones, I’ll snag it up and eBay it off just like I did with my inMotion3 when I bought the Logic3 iStation.

Posted by christomapher in chicago on March 9, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Personally I would not trust Logitech with speakers. They make great mice but I would go with a company that makes a lot of speaker systems. My personal favorite is the Tivoli iPAL because it sounds great, features the world’s most acclaimed FM/AM tuner, and is only $129. You can check out all of the small speaker systems for the ipod near the bottom of the list in the Gear Guide. (You can get to it at the top of this page)

Posted by arquiteto on March 9, 2005 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

So ANY white speakers that come out w/ 2 on either side and the iPod dock in the middle will automatically be clones of AL?

To me it seems like the most logical and reasonable design.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on March 9, 2005 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

Leave it to Logitech to get it right and for the right price.

Posted by stark23x on March 9, 2005 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

$80?  I am so there, dude!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 9, 2005 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Official product page

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 9, 2005 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

Just noticed that they are also making a black version with a stand that supports the PSP. grin

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 9, 2005 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

I’m sure it will sound much, much better than the Altec Lansing’s. The IM’s quite frankly sound like crap. Also, logitechs speakers are rated much higher than altec lansing’s are, at better prices, so I’m looking forward to this.

Posted by Jaliska on March 9, 2005 at 10:41 PM (PDT)

I’ve heard the iM3 and was impressed by the volume / sound quality.  Plus it docks the iPod and has a remote—well worth the price. I guess sound quality is relative.

As said above, Logitech makes mice.  Altec Lansing makes speaker systems.  I wouldn’t buy a mouse from them—well, I wouldn’t buy one from Logitech either—but I digress…

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 10, 2005 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >