Logitech debuts Wireless Music System for iPod | iLounge News

Logitech debuts Wireless Music System for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageLogitech today introduced its Wireless Music System for iPod, a two-piece accessory that lets you wirelessly connect your iPod to your home stereo system and use the device as a wireless remote to control your iPod (change tracks, adjust volume, etc.).

The Logitech Wireless Music System includes a rechargeable music transmitter that plugs into the headphone port on your iPod and a music receiver that plugs into a home stereo receiver or multimedia speakers through an RCA port or a 3.5 mm jack. They can be used up to 33-feet apart.

The solution uses Logitech’s Music Anywhere wireless technology, which provides “crystal-clear digital audio quality and features adaptive frequency hopping, helping the products overcome any potential wireless interference.”

The Logitech Wireless Music System for iPod will be available beginning in October for $149.99.

« Mix: PodSafe, File-sharing, e-label, UK iPod scheme

SpeakerCraft’s MODE controls iPod in multiple rooms »

Comments

Excellent - I’ve been wanting a robust solution to having all my tunes on an iPod yet be able to change tracks when needed (without the need for a long cable or FM transmitter) - I was looking to shell out on the Denon system when it gets released - but this should do nicely! Just need to know the battery life on the rechargeable transmitter. It’d be nice to use with a case still on the iPod, but still a nice solution - can’t wait for a review!

Posted by RBi on August 23, 2005 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

The receiver unit looks like it belongs in a RC hobbyist store, but the concept is a solid one. For some reason I like the receiver’s looks…kinda the odd duck in the pond.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on August 23, 2005 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

33 feet!  Wow!  That’s so much better than connecting it directly to the stereo.  Now I can wander absolutely freely in a HUGE 33 foot circle around the stereo.  Geez.  What exactly is the point of this product?  I’d sooner buy a 33 ft cable.

Posted by notme99 on August 23, 2005 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

@notme99:

So you actually *need* more than 33 feet? I’m glad I’m not your neighbor because you’re clearly not somebody I want anywhere near me. At 33 feet I could be anywhere in my house carrying my iPod and be piping my music to my home stereo. If you need more than that sort of distance you A) live in a much larger home than the rest of us or B) you’re in the habit of blasting 400 watts of noise from inside your house while hanging out in your back yard. There is no reasonable need to be able to control/listen to music from farther than that with this sort of product.

If you do by some chance live in a mansion complete with separately controlled speakers in every room there are products already out there for that sort of need (and cost appropriately more).

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 23, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

@Code Monkey
So, by wanting to be more than a measly 33 ft away from his stereo, notme99 MUST have a bigger house than, as you said, “the rest of us”. When did you conduct your “everyone on ipodlounge house measuring survey”? Dolt. 33ft for $149 is a jip.

Posted by Sly Cooper on August 23, 2005 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

Posted by inkmonkey on August 23, 2005 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

Yeah! What they said!

Anyway, I’ve had bad luck in the past with transmitters and advertised ranges.  I was less than pleased recently with my Griffin AirClick claiming I could get up to 60ft and having trouble at 20ft. And after all their claims about not needing line of sight it sure seems useless when I’m not in sight of the receiver. Argh!!  I can only imagine what the *real* range is for something claiming 33ft.  And please, load me up with something else I need to recharge while you’re at it.

Posted by notme99 on August 23, 2005 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

They need to be using iJet’s technology.. I get excellend range with that remote!

Too bad, this had the chance of being a good product.. but it fell short like so many other products because some people just have no idea of what a good product should be.

They should fire whoever decided that 33ft was acceptable.

Posted by kloan on August 23, 2005 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

“Over 33 ft distance means you own a mansion? Wow. I guess my 1500 sq ft 2 story suburban home is luxurious. It’s more than 33 ft from the kitchen to the living room.”

Hmmm… reading comprehension as usual is sorely lacking on this board. My point was that if you need to be controlling your music from farther away that you’re listening to your music too damn loud, not that you owned a mansion.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 23, 2005 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Code Monkey has a very valid point, if you’re blasting music over 33 feet, there are better solutions. Although on the other hand, you can get speakers running into every room of the house. This is not the best way to do it though, and there are specific products designed to do so (inwall docks and screens etc).

It doesn’t state what technology it actually uses, just “Music Anywhere wireless technology”. Its either radio broadcast or using a new technology I haven’t heard of. If its new technology they would[should] be bragging it. If its radio, then you need to think about spending money on the speakercraft setup that is on the main page.

I think 33 feet is fine. I personally wouldn’t use it as all 5 machines in my house are (wrielessly) networked and running iTunes streaming one computers library. Thats what you use if you want range and sound quality (or a dedictated system like speakercraft, a few others exist, but can’t remember what they’re called). These setups are pretty expensive for JUST music though. With the computer/laptop network you get a media centre anywhere in your house

Posted by silver_haze20 on August 23, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

hmmm, just out of curiousity.  Why not go with airport express.  That way you could have the bundle of wireless internet as well.  I am not the most tech savy so this might all in all be a better option.  Just am curious why for around the same price you would choose something with less options?

Mikey

Posted by Mikeyindaburgh on August 23, 2005 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

“The mansion comment is a separate semi-paragraph relating to there being products specifically aimed at people with more indepth setups than simply trying to figure out how to hear their music playing in the living room at the opposite end of the house by blasting it to the point that your neighbors would be justified in calling the cops on your obnoxious butt.”

Thanks Mom…I mean CodeMonkey.  Are you going to tell us to keep our elbows off the table and chew with our mouth closed too?

We appreciate all your hard work in being the arbiter of acceptable behavior.

Posted by notme99 on August 24, 2005 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

“We appreciate all your hard work in being the arbiter of acceptable behavior.”

No arbiter, I simply call the cops on anyone that plays their music too loud. I’ve got no time to waste on people that should be taken out of the gene pool.

Love your music? Great. Love making me listen to your music? FOAD.

Your total dismissal of the product based on what a unacceptably short distance 33 feet was for this particular product tells me clearly that your removal from the gene pool would be act of great benefit to the world.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 24, 2005 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

The technology used in the product is Bluetooth, not radio, and the range is limited to the 33ft to provide the appropriate battery life.  If you review Logitech’s website you will see they offer a USB Transmitter (from your computer to the receiver) you can get 330ft.

Posted by gadgitguy on August 24, 2005 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

Code Monkey, why are you being so combative over ipod remote controls?

Imagine a simple plausible scenario.  You have single a stereo in your living room hooked up to two sets of speakers. The second set in on your outside porch.  You would like to be outside on the porch listening to your music at a reasonable volume and control it with your ipod but the stereo is more than 33ft away.  This is a *common* situation that isn’t quite complex enough for many to justify other expensive options.

No one cares that you have 911 on speed dial or is impressed by your threats of calling in a disturbing the peace violation. This product may fit your needs but that doesn’t mean others are obnoxious simply because it may not work for them.

Posted by raster on August 25, 2005 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

Seems to me that this, and the up-coming Griffin Bluetrip, will solve the problem of how to listen to your iPod through your hi-fi while having full control of album/artist/genre/track choice sitting in the comfort of your sofa. Looks good to me although I personally think the Griffin one is neater.

Posted by sjdigital on August 26, 2005 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

Realy good site!

Posted by Donny on September 16, 2005 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

Your site is realy very interesting!

Posted by Mond on September 16, 2005 at 12:59 AM (PDT)