Lost iPod tracking service | iLounge News

Lost iPod tracking service

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, August 27, 2004
News Categories:

Afraid of losing your iPod and never seeing it again? A new service might be the answer to insure your iPod’s safe return. LostiPods.com is offering iPod registration ($5 fee), stickers (coming soon) and a reward system to help you get your iPod back.

« Griffin announces EarJams earbud adapters

HP debuts “iPod+hp” for 9-15-04 release »

Comments

whhhhyyyy

if anyone wants to send me $1 and I, too, will keep a record of your serial number.

Posted by lazydesert on August 27, 2004 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

Ah well… nice idea. But seriously… I don’t think people are likely to return lost iPods (that is unless they are iPod owners themselves and can imgaine the pain, or just really, really nice). I guess having the URL engraved on the iPod could prevent them from being sold on eBay though.

Posted by Oliver :) on August 27, 2004 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

i dont trust a site that spells lose wrong

Posted by Paul on August 27, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

So now if someone steals or finds an iPod they can look up the owners info for ransom demands or to stay clear of the town they live in.

Thank you lostipods.com

Don’t loose your iPod!

Posted by dave chappelle on August 27, 2004 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

Anything based on the honor system rarely works.

Posted by richmds in Los Angeles on August 27, 2004 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

I’m telling you right now. Too many greedy people in this world for that system to work.

Posted by ari on August 27, 2004 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Wish you could lock your IPOD like you do your cell. That would make it a little harder for someone to just make off with your IPOD and use it as theirs.

Posted by Pumi on August 27, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

Why not engraving your name and address on your ipod? If soemone wants to return your lost ipod, that’s all the info they need.

Posted by Duke on August 27, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

sendme$5.com

So why do I need this service ? If I can just print up a sticker myself with my address on it.

Steve Jobs save me from your Followers

Posted by alex on August 27, 2004 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

How about this service?

Looks waaaay more effective…

Posted by Bryan Villarin in Temple City, CA on August 27, 2004 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

stuffbak has been doing this for a while, but they make stickers for a lot more things than iPods.

Posted by incubusdaemon on August 27, 2004 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Agreed with the poster commenting on the typo (“loose”.)

Now if they offered a guarantee…

Posted by Ape on August 27, 2004 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

If someone searches for you iPod on the site.. the owner is emailed with some sort of information.  It’s says down there but I haven’t tried it.

Posted by Tom on August 27, 2004 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

which idiot would want to return a found ipod. not me. sorry. =)

Posted by Boo on August 28, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

What idiot would lose their iPod period?

Posted by Dustin on August 29, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

People lose iPod or other item. It doesn’t make you an idiot to lose something.

Posted by jesus on August 30, 2004 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

Call me an idiot, but it looks like I lost not one, but two iPods on Friday, August 27. I think I mislaid them at the tech college I work at. Normally, I never have them out of my sight, but Friday was a very, very bad day at work. I was depressed over possibly being fired come Monday morning. (I am NOT making this up.)

Posted by anguished idiot on August 30, 2004 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

i lost mine a while ago, i nearly cried!!! i was really ill and had to make a longggg train journey so wasnt really with it. left it on the train. the staff at waterloo lost and found must have hated me.. i rang em every day for weeks.. was worth a try.
so i guess if i found one now id try find hte owner. knowing how much it sucks to lose one.

Posted by mark on August 31, 2004 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

I had my email addy engraved on mine with the added “iReward.” It was free.

Posted by Sammy on August 31, 2004 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

I lost mine two days ago on the bus, and it was a MINI no less.  Even though I called the bus company to report within minutes.  I knew deep down I’ll never see it again.  My entire week was crappy; in a moment of anguish, even those who steadfastly guard their iPods can lose them.

Still, I looked into that lost iPod service.  Doesn’t seem like it would help me either.  In the future I hope Apple will find a way to either lock iPods or a way to use the serial number as a tracking device.

Posted by mini-less on February 17, 2007 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »