Lower-cost, colored iPods to debut at MacWorld? | iLounge News

Lower-cost, colored iPods to debut at MacWorld?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, December 24, 2003
News Categories: iPod

“When Apple Computer Inc. chief executive Steve Jobs takes the stage at MacWorld next month, analysts expect him to unveil smaller, cheaper iPods and hope he will detail the company’s strategy to move into the digital living room.

The lower-end iPods, which are expected to carry a price tag of about $100 and will hold 400 to 800 songs, are a necessary answer to the bevy of MP3 digital music players now on the market that cost $100 or less, analysts said. [...]

In addition to the lower-cost iPods, the Cupertino, California-based Apple is also expected to unveil them with different colors and even in stripes, as well as variously colored cases for Apple’s traditional iPods, according to Enderle and Mac rumor Web site Thinksecret.com.”

« Happy Holidays to All

Digital Music Stores Reviewed »

Comments

Sounds cool. I just hope that the tidal wave of people crying about the ipods they just got for x-mas are now obsolete doesn’t kill us all.

Posted by Jerm on December 24, 2003 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

They won’t be, because the iPods won’t be obsolete. These are MUCH smaller.

Posted by Dasein on December 24, 2003 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

I’m assuming these are going to be micro-drive players ~ 1-2 GB?

Posted by Rilhouse on December 24, 2003 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

the site says that they might be 2 and 4gb hard drives

Posted by phillip on December 24, 2003 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Rilhouse- I’d assume they’ll be flash memory, i.e., no moving parts.

Posted by Chupacabra on December 24, 2003 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

if they are indeed solid-state memory, i wonder what kind of batteries/battery life they will have.

Posted by wfbberzerker in Whitefish Bay, WI on December 24, 2003 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

The device resembles Gameboy Advance SP
It dosn’t use the same battery but normal batteries 4 double a batteries. It is a micro drive not IBM micro drive but some company starting with C i forget .

Posted by Spymac Agent on December 24, 2003 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

Well the rumors are probably right. It seems like everything coming out of ThinkSecret and MacRumors has been true lately…

Posted by Nick Harsin on December 24, 2003 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

This will be the best way to convince those friends who are interested but put off by the high cost of an ipod. Once they fill the small space.. they’ll want to upgrade. smile  Apple knows how to start an addiction wink

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on December 24, 2003 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

Darn I had to do dirty things for my iPod.  Oh well now at least more people can get in on the action.

Posted by hamp on December 24, 2003 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

i wish they were out already. i need a cheap mp3, but i feel the need to be patriotic to the might of apple…

Posted by zachypoo on December 24, 2003 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

I am betting on a MicroDrive (now hitachi) since they have recently moved it’s capacity to 4 or so gigs or a cheaper version of the current drive.  Check Mac OS Rumors, they have different dirt.  Claim NOT at MWSF and more than just a smaller iPod.

Posted by Indolering on December 24, 2003 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

I think this is a good idea, I just bought my 10gb model and it makes me happy but to save 200 dollars and be more selective in my music choices would be nice.

Posted by Carl on December 24, 2003 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

I just don’t understand the comment about the iPod being obsolete. How in the world is it obsolete. It would be obsolete if it couldn’t play music or hold data anymore. None of that is the case. I have the old 5GB version. Is it obsolete now that there are new 10, 20 and 40GB versions? Heck no, I use it everyday.

Posted by wolfpacker on December 25, 2003 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

The possibliity of coloured iPods is the most interesting thing that article mentioned. I’d love to see what different coloured iPods would look like.

Posted by Justin Nelson on December 25, 2003 at 11:27 PM (PDT)

Now, I would like to refer you to my comments on a previous post abut Apple’s common iterations of their product lines: I think I proffered something to the effect of them offering ‘Colored” versions a la the I-Mac or some such…but I digress..
-ABM

Posted by Angry Black Man on December 26, 2003 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Flash Memory? like hell.

A 1 gig flash memory card runs anywhere from 220-450 dollars:
Obviously apple can get them cheaper, but not enough cheaper to make an under 100 dollar multi-gig ipod.

They’ll have to use hard disks to go past 1 gig or it won’t be cost effective. Or maybe a minidisk type format? I don’t know anything about those, but I’d imagine they’re more pricy than the small hard drives.

Posted by JC on December 26, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

This will be very awesome.  Great idea.

Posted by dave on December 26, 2003 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

JC,

1GB cards usually cost way more than 4 256MB cards. And apple isn’t looking at cards, they are soldering on the base card. Isn’t too much of a stretch to think they could build it for less than $100. Now make a profit, that is a different story. But maybe their plan is to grab market share.

Posted by wolfpacker on December 26, 2003 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

i have a PC, and I really want an ipod. Will the new low cost ipods be PC compatable?

Posted by dfoss on December 28, 2003 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >