Mac: Dot-Pod 1.0b9 released - iPod web server | iLounge News

Mac: Dot-Pod 1.0b9 released - iPod web server

Let the world enjoy your iPod as much as you do. Share your iPod tracks with everyone in your home or office. Share your iPod tracks with the world via any web browser. Only with DOT-POD - the ultimate iPod web server.

What’s new in this version:

Version 1.0b9: Has been synchronized with DOT-TUNES and DOT-PHOTOS so that all features are identical apart from serving audio files or images. Also fixes an Authentication bug which prevented some users from registering.

License: Shareware $29
System Requirements: Mac OS X

« Mac: Dot-Tunes 1.0b9 released

Target.com: 10% off $100, includes iPods »

Comments

lol another REALbasic app, which basically guarantees it’ll be slow and buggy.

Posted by kainjow on April 6, 2004 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

That’s just a plain ignorant statement. Glad you could contribute (NOT). Comment on the merits of the software and not on which particular language the product was produce with.

Posted by jellstain on April 6, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

like pod2go… where is the equal win application ?
but very nice idea, rock on !!

Posted by grimmet on April 6, 2004 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

hey, and why is it not freeware, like all the other guys podware ?
free your mind, free your application !

Posted by grimmet on April 6, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

OK sorry I’ll admit that was a rude comment, however…

Applications made in REALbasic have been known to be more buggy then applications made in another language/compiler. A lot of it is REALbasic’s fault, who insist on updating features to their app and not fixing bugs.

My statement was not ignorant in any way. I used to program in REALbasic for many years - I know it’s buggy and slow from personal experience so don’t go bashing me bubba.

Anyways, hope the devs of dot-pod can speed up some of it, like indexing your music (it’s just a database why should it take so long??)

I just have a thing against RB apps in general…

And grimmet, I don’t understand your posts? Maybe I’m just lost or something…

Posted by kainjow on April 6, 2004 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Hi all,

Nice to see the discussion.

Firstly, our Windows and Linux versions are almost complete. I’ll be sure to post here as soon as they are released.

We at DOT-POD actually code in many languages however with a product like this ‘time-to-market’ is criticle which is why this app has been coded in RealBasic.

The indexing-the-iPod process does not happen each time you run DOT-POD. Once indexed DOT-POD uses a cached version but you can reindex at any time.

We will be working on speeding up the indexing process as well as adding features but for now we have a great stable release which is proving to be extremely popular - considering we released the first version less than 24 hours ago grin

Enjoy,

Jeff
DOT-POD

Posted by DOT-POD Team on April 6, 2004 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

What I"m actually looking forward to is for someone to port an FTP server to iPodLinux. THen you can run a fileserver ON your iPod, and not the computer that its attached to, through ethernet-over-firewire. Who said the Rio Karma was the only player supporting networking wink

Posted by Sraphim on April 6, 2004 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

they should note that the $30 is ASD not US.

Posted by b on April 6, 2004 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

Jeff,

One thing that would be nice is are some screen shots of the product. Although I realize I could download and try it out myself, I would prefer to see some actual screen shots prior to going to the trouble.

(I might be nit picking here, but the web site is definately lacking in the “professionalize” feel and looks more like a quickly put together e-bay web page).

Posted by jellstain on April 7, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Hi all,

I agree with jellstain, we most certainly spent much more time developing the DOT-POD software than we did on the design of our site grin

I guess we felt that time-to-market was critical with this type of application and our site design hasn’t benefited from this.

Based on the level of interest and number of registrations and downloads over the past 48 hours since we released our first version of DOT-POD - I can assure you, there will be a new and improved DOT-POD site on the air in the very near future.

Best regards to all,

Jeff
DOT-POD

PS. Get ready for the DOT-POD Client application - to be released shortly. This allows playlist streaming from an iPod across the internet! You can already do this with DOT-POD via a web browser however you need to click a link to listen to or download each track. With DOT-POD Client you can sit back while songs continue to stream. NICE grin

Posted by DOT-POD Team on April 9, 2004 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

Hi all,

DOT-POD Version Upgrade:

This release is recommended for all existing and new users.

regards

Jeff
DOT-POD

Posted by DOT-POD Team on April 11, 2004 at 10:25 PM (PDT)

I damn sure hope the RIAA doesn’t start targeting this and other types of softwares of this nature.

Posted by paranoid on April 14, 2004 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Jeff - I downloaded the DotPod application and followed the instructions but I get a message that says it cannot find my iPod even though the iPod is docked and can be seen in iTunes…..

Any idea on how to fix this…

Posted by Another Jeff on April 17, 2004 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

Hi other Jeff,

In iTunes there is a setting where you can enable your iPod for ‘disk use’. It is in the iTunes/iPod prefs. Please let me know if this helps.

Also, a new release of DOT-POD is now online.

Rather than simply selecting an Artist and all tracks by that artist being published - you can now choose to publish by Artist or Album. Then once you have selected the Albums or Artists to publish, you can specify which individual tracks to publish…. or just publish them all.

Also, when you re-launch DOT-POD you can choose to use your last DOT-POD playlist or re-select new tracks to publish grin finally.

This release is online at:

Cheers

Jeff
DOT-POD

Posted by DOT-POD Team on April 25, 2004 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

i like pie warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream ummmmmmmm pie pie pie pie pie…...............................PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the i pod as well

Posted by Grieva on June 17, 2004 at 3:28 AM (PDT)