Mac: iPod does not appear in iPod Updater or iTunes fix | iLounge News

Mac: iPod does not appear in iPod Updater or iTunes fix

Apple has posted a Knowledge Base document outlining a possible fix for when the iPod does not appear in the iPod Updater (v2.2 2004-04-28) or iTunes. “Under some circumstances, iPod appears in the Finder in Mac OS X, but does not appear in the iTunes Source list or does not appear in the iPod Updater.” Several iLounge forum members have reported having the same problem.

« SmarterCase announces the SmarterPouch for iPod

Survey: Possible underwater audio system for iPod planned »

Comments

Huh?  I don’t even have this file.

/System/Library/Extensions/iPodDriver.kext

Posted by chris on April 30, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

I bet if people install Quicktime before updating the iPod/iTunes it works ok.

Posted by steven on April 30, 2004 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

Yeah, this seems to work.  I uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything, then followed this method.

Posted by chris on April 30, 2004 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

I installed all the updates the first time and then opened up each app to verify they were updated before plugging in my iPod. I had absolutely no problems with the update seeing it. I have a 30gb iPod. No problems at all.

Posted by Sabon on April 30, 2004 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

Doesn’t work.  Now my iPod doesn’t even show up on the desktop when I plug it in.  Gee, thanks!  Got any more fixes up your sleeve?

Posted by stealthboy on April 30, 2004 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

so whats wrong with software update? that’s what I used and I had no problems….  oh ya right… not everyone using itunes and ‘pods is running OSX….

=:-{))

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on April 30, 2004 at 8:49 PM (CDT)

It worked. I did the drag to trash method for both iTunes and iSync (since that wasn’t working right either), reinstalled both and restarted. Finally, updater noticed! Uninstalling updater made me feel more thorough as well. I reinstalled it after making sure iTunes and iSync were working correctly. Boom. Updated iPod.

Posted by Craig Huizinga on April 30, 2004 at 9:38 PM (CDT)

Tried the fix from Apple, still no go.

A more drastic approach worked though… I now have a working 10GB iPod with ver 2.2.

WARNING: All songs and data were lost!!!  YMMV.

I suspected iTunes and the updater were getting in the way of each other, so:

0. Unplug iPod
1. Delete iTunes from /Applications
2. Empty Trash
3. Run the iPod updater from /Applications/Utilities

WARNING: all data is about to be lost from your iPod.

4. Click the Restore button in the updater
5. Reset iPod: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705
6. iPod-Settings-About should show 2.2
6. Install iTunes
7. iTunes now sees iPod. Yay!  Put data/songs back onto iPod

What a drag!  Still, got there in the end…

Good luck!

-J

Posted by Julian Boot on May 1, 2004 at 8:47 AM (CDT)

WARNING- I HAD A WORKING 3G 10G IPOD THAT JUST BROKE AFTER UPDATING WITH 2.2!!! I NOW HAVE THE UNHAPPY IPOD FACE AND FLODER WITH EXPLANATION MARK! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS BEFORE I DITCH IT. AND IT’S LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD!!

Posted by leoln aguirre on May 1, 2004 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

3g 10g less than 3 years old?  I think you need to fix that sentence up a bit.

Posted by hamp on May 1, 2004 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

sorry- that was a 2g 10g ipod. any solutions besides grammatical questions? thanks

Posted by leoln aguirre on May 1, 2004 at 11:55 PM (CDT)

i have an ipod for windows andit will be recognized itunes then it disconnects repeadtly so i cant update.  i am angry that apple isnot doing shit about thier obviously shitty upodates.  at least they canmake old versions available.  they also charge 50 fucking dollars for support.  i am about to chuck it out the window as it is useless to me

Posted by ryan on May 6, 2004 at 7:34 AM (CDT)

This update weighs a hefty 33MB, to be compared with the 18MB of the actual QT6.5 installer… what’s the reason behind this increase, which made lots of RTC modem users unhappy?
Well, it is sort of funny (if you dont’t have an RTC modem on a 56k dial-up): it’s simply the large blue Quicktime “Q” logo which is displayed as a background for the installer! It’s a 1MB tiff file and it is DUPLICATED for each language in the installer!!! If you remove those “Q"s, the 6.5.1 installer gets a slimfast treatment and goes down to about the same size as the QT6.5

15MB extra download for a nice big blue “Q” (which doesn’t even appear if you do the update through OSX’s Software update), now that leaves interrogations about the IQ of the people who designed this…

Posted by Quicktime 6.5.1 on May 6, 2004 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

if the 2.2 update does not work because the updater says “ipod is not activated on the desktop” , you can try to update on a windows machine. that’s one of the really rare moments that i am happy to have the windows machine. for me, this solution worked. and also the osx itunes recognized my ipod later.

cheers, yakitori

Posted by denizm on May 27, 2004 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

I have a 15 gig ipod and installed itunes then ipod updater. I went to use updater, it said it was updated, but for me not to unplug before it finished. I woke up the next morning and it wasn’t finished, so i unplugged anyway. I opened i tunes and ipod is read empty, but whenever i go to add music to it it say disk is not ready for use. That stupid f***ing update ruined me. How do i get the earlier version of software back on my ipod?

Posted by Ben on June 12, 2004 at 1:05 AM (CDT)

help me. :( i restored my ipod mini, and i cant put any song in it now. i have itunes but IPOD doesn’t appear in the source list. i dont know what to do.. help out there please!!!! :(

Posted by wanpreshuzpinay on November 8, 2006 at 2:50 AM (CST)