Mac: iPod Software 2.1 Released | iLounge News

Mac: iPod Software 2.1 Released

The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to ‘factory fresh’ condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod.

What’s new in this version:

• Voice notes (requires 3rd party microphone, sold separately)
  • Digital photo storage (requires 3rd party photo card reader, sold separately)
  • Enhanced On-The-Go playlist
  • Improved playback performance
  • Added Music Quiz game
  • Improved backlight
  • Improved battery meter

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.1.5 or higher and iPod with a dock connector

« Windows: iPod Software 2.1 Released

Apple Store UK Confirms iPod Accessories »

Comments

Woohoo! This is one awesome update.

The new Music Quiz game is super fun, easily my favourite of all the games. It plays a randomly selected song from your Library, and then shows its name as well as four other ones in a list, gives a quick countdown, and you have to choose the song it is playing. The songs sequentially disappear as your score goes down too if you don’t get it soon enough.

Also, what everyone will love, is that On-The-Go playlists update to your iTunes library as “On The Go 1” and then wipe clean the one on your iPod, waiting for you to make “On The Go 2”. Then you can rename the one in your playlist library and keep it forever!

If any of that didn’t make sense, just go download the update and see for yourself!

Posted by Agentkow on October 16, 2003 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

The sound quality gets a nice boost with the new firmware update. It results in a much more mature and involving sound.

See http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/ipod/ for some initial findings about the new sound quality.

I’ll report more extensively after performing some measurements.

Marc

Posted by Marc Heijligers on October 16, 2003 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Better sound quality too? I’m doubbly, no, trippley impressed.

Posted by Agentkow on October 16, 2003 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

The battery indicatior is different, no longer are there four bars, instead just one line, interesting. I hope battery life improves, that’ll just add to this rumour of better sound quality.

Posted by rsacer on October 16, 2003 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

My iPod was fully charged when I updated the firmware.  Right afterwards it showed nearly drained.  I’ve had it plugged in ever since and it is still not fully charged (normally it would have fully charged at least twice by now).

Posted by Tim on October 16, 2003 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

I’m wondering why you need a dock to use the update. I have a 10GB 3G - do you think buying a dock will allow to make the update? It would seem so.

Posted by David Wishart on October 16, 2003 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

You need a dock to update??? I have a 3g 10gb….

Posted by zoink on October 16, 2003 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

You don’t need a dock to update.  I have a 15gb, but I didn’t use the dock for the update.  I have the dock hooked up to the stereo system, and I just used the firewire… worked perfectly.

By the way, I’m digging the new backlight—hold Menu down, and the light stays on for as long as you’re pushing buttons.  Don’t push any buttons for about 20 seconds, and it goes off.  Before it used to just, you know, go off every 20 seconds.

Posted by Matt Latham on October 17, 2003 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

Yeah, you don’t need a dock to update, you need a “dockable” iPod. That is, not the old ones.

Posted by agentkow on October 17, 2003 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if it is ok to have the backlight on all day long? I use it plugged into the battery charger in the dock outputting to a stereo system, behind tinted glass, and it’s neat to be able to see the ipod. Perhaps it’ll get too warm?
Paul

Posted by PaulP on October 17, 2003 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

I have a problem I just updated to the new firmware and I am now only getting 4 hours of battery life.  It is a 10 GB 3rd GEN and it is only 3 months old.

Posted by Eric Rolf on October 17, 2003 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

*** PROBLEM***

Yes, the battery display is strange.  Is my battery fully charged but just inaccurately indicated?  Please help!

Posted by Daeshin on October 19, 2003 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

By the way, my iPod is for Windows, 3G, 30gb and one month old.

Posted by Daeshin on October 19, 2003 at 5:42 PM (PDT)