Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released | iLounge News

Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released

iPodRip is the ultimate iPod companion application. iPodRip allows you to get the most out of your iPod—you can transfer music from your iPod back to your iTunes Library, listen to music directly on your iPod (allowing you to save valuable disk space)—plus much more. iPodRip supports all iPod Media Types—MP3, AAC, Protected AAC and Audible.com Content.

What’s new in this version:

- [Feature] - Added visual duplicate detection
- [Enhancement] - Completely rewritten for speed, stability and ease of use
- [Enhancement] - Faster launch time
- [Enhancement] - Searching is now live
- [Enhancement] - If the playlist box in SmartSync is not selected, the entire library is used instead
- [Enhancement] - Made internationalization of the app easier
- [Enhancement] - Improved performance and reliability of the “Sync Meta Data” tool
- [Enhancement] - Moved all the help files online
- [Enhancement] - Toolbar items with irreversible actions now dim when the window goes out of focus
- [Enhancement] - Cleaned up the preferences and simplified them
- [Enhancement] - Simplified the interface
- [Enhancement] - iPodRip can now handle multiple operations at once
- [Enhancement] - Improved memory usage
- [Enhancement] - Improved song playback
- [Enhancement] - Improved iPod detection
- [Enhancement] - SplitView’s now remember their previous size
- [Enhancement] - Export to HTML is now faster, produces smaller pages and is XHTML valid
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue with sync’ing meta data and 5 star songs
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue where songs with “/” in their name’s would not copy
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue where songs would not be displayed in the Finder after an import
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed a bug when importing songs on Jaguar systems

License: iPodRip will run, without limitation, for 10 sessions.  After you use all of the 10 sessions, you’ll need to purchase iPodRip to use any of the application’s functionality.

System Requirements: iPodRip works with Mac OS X 10.2 “Jaguar” and later, including Mac OS X 10.3 “Panther”. iPodRip works with any iPod, whether it be a Mac OS X or Windows formatted. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen as well as the iPod Mini are confirmed to work with iPodRip.

« Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods

Apple launches iTunes Affiliate Program, 125 million songs sold »

Comments

Awesome program, two thumbs up!!!

Posted by Rob on August 3, 2003 at 1:58 AM (PDT)

Toasted my G4.  I got an old G4 tower running and upgraded its hard drive JUST to hold a copy of my iPod music library.  (I’ve been using a Titanium laptop with just a couple free gigs.)
I downloaded iPodRip 1.6, hooked up the iPod, started an import all—all looked well, so I went away for a while.
When I came back, two tiny screen image copies side-by-side told me to reboot my system.  Wishful thinking.  I get nothing but a gray screen.
Not a great experience.  I can’t recommend it.

Posted by Van on August 11, 2003 at 9:35 PM (PDT)

I eat my words.
All my problems boiled down to a bad 256 MB DIMM.  It worked fine in my G3, not in the G4.
After I got things reliable (and installed OSX for the fifth time) iPodRip was the first thing I downloaded.
Works (almost) like a dream!  First I set it up to import directly to iTunes—it went through the motions, but nothing happened.
Then I set it to import to a nearby folder.  No problem!
I’m paying the shareware fees tonight.  It’s just what I wanted.  It made it worth bringing an old machine back to life.  Good work!

Posted by van on August 15, 2003 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

Two words: USE TERMINAL

You only have to use two simple commands in terminal mode:

cd /Volumes/pod/iPod_control/music/
cp -r * ~/Music/

And that’s all. Simple as that. No need for any of this fancy software to do something that two commands can.

Posted by Sraphim on September 21, 2003 at 7:50 PM (PDT)

Well those commands are really useful because they import the playlists, ratings and songs into itunes don’t they?

I think iPodRip does slightly more than copy music, hence why I bought it.

Posted by Dreamwalker on September 21, 2003 at 11:22 PM (PDT)

Replacing your existing iTunes Library with what’s on your iPod isn’t practical for me.  That’s why I bought iPodRip.

I want to have flexibility in creating, editing and deleting playlists.  Not just dumping a load of files onto my HD.

v2 of iPodRip is simply amazing.  I bought version 1.5 and they gave me a free upgrade to version 2.  Pretty cool…

Thanks to the guys at App Factory!

Posted by mac15 on September 22, 2003 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

How does this compare to PodWorks, which also looks like a great piece of SW. Can anyone tell us?

Thx in advance!

Posted by pcouture on October 1, 2003 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

There are quite a few free altenative ways to do what this software does.

I personally, just unhide all the folders, then open them up and copy the files into an iTunes playlist.

If you have the “keep iTunes folder organized” and “copy files to iTunes Music folder” options checked in the “Advanced” preferences in iTunes, then the files are neatly renamed and sorted into folders for you.

My guess is that this is actually faster than using software to do it for you.

Posted by Anonymous on October 1, 2003 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

Wait iPodRip transfers playlists and ratings too? I just got a new PB and Im going to try this because all my music is on my iPod.

Im more worried about the ratings. That took a long time to do.

Posted by Mikey on October 1, 2003 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

it is actually 2.1 and not 2.0.1 version according to the developer site

Posted by Vitaly Citovsky on October 2, 2003 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

Is iPodRip only compatible with Mac’s? I can’t find any info that says either way.

Posted by Colin on October 11, 2003 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Maybe I am an idiot but this app does not work as specified. BEWARE!

I somehow erased everything I ripped to my Ipod today. ARGGHHH! No warning nothing

Posted by zanman on October 11, 2003 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

Yes it really is all deleted. Was it the sync option? Why wouldn’t it tell you if it was going to DELETE everything on your Ipod that was not in your Itunes library. That is idiotic.

Now I have to do this all over again!

RIAA software? MAYBE

BEWARE!!!!!

Posted by zanman on October 11, 2003 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

Oh another thing this wonderful piece of software did. It doubled up my Itunes Library, Now I have duplicates of everything.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!!

Posted by zanman on October 11, 2003 at 9:08 PM (PDT)

Actually it duplicated my library but not the actual song files. I now have to go through 2500 songs and manually delete them!!!

WOW!! they were really thinking!!! WHO designed this?

Posted by zanman on October 11, 2003 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

Ok this will take me 3 or 4 days to fix.

I really still cannot believe this.

If anyone knows of a quicker way to fix this please post here.

Posted by zanman on October 11, 2003 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

iPodRip cannot delete music from your iPod, so I cannot see what the issue is. iTunes is only allowed to remove songs and its kept that way for the users safety. Also, iPodRip was never designed to sync with your base computer which it seems you have done.

Posted by Developer on October 15, 2003 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

hmmm. Well I re-ripped the songs I lost. This did not take long but the duplicating of my playlist in Itunes took many hours to delete manually. This way a royal pain.

Did Itunes and your product combined reverse synchronize? Because files were deleted.

Well it’s all fixed now but I will be much more reticent to copy files from my Ipod to Itunes.

Posted by zanman on October 15, 2003 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

iPodRip cannot remove files in any way. It also cannot reverse synchronize…it can only place songs in iTunes (copies from the iPod).

Posted by Developer on October 15, 2003 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

I just erased iPodRip from my computer….until there is more clarification on this.

QUESTION: does ipodrip allow you to “listen” to your music on another computer? How?

Posted by alf on October 18, 2003 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »