Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released | iLounge News

Mac: iPodRip 3.5 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2004
News Categories: Mac Software

iPodRip is the ultimate iPod companion application. iPodRip allows you to get the most out of your iPod—you can transfer music from your iPod back to your iTunes Library, listen to music directly on your iPod (allowing you to save valuable disk space)—plus much more. iPodRip supports all iPod Media Types—MP3, AAC, Protected AAC and Audible.com Content.

What’s new in this version:

- [Feature] - Added visual duplicate detection
- [Enhancement] - Completely rewritten for speed, stability and ease of use
- [Enhancement] - Faster launch time
- [Enhancement] - Searching is now live
- [Enhancement] - If the playlist box in SmartSync is not selected, the entire library is used instead
- [Enhancement] - Made internationalization of the app easier
- [Enhancement] - Improved performance and reliability of the “Sync Meta Data” tool
- [Enhancement] - Moved all the help files online
- [Enhancement] - Toolbar items with irreversible actions now dim when the window goes out of focus
- [Enhancement] - Cleaned up the preferences and simplified them
- [Enhancement] - Simplified the interface
- [Enhancement] - iPodRip can now handle multiple operations at once
- [Enhancement] - Improved memory usage
- [Enhancement] - Improved song playback
- [Enhancement] - Improved iPod detection
- [Enhancement] - SplitView’s now remember their previous size
- [Enhancement] - Export to HTML is now faster, produces smaller pages and is XHTML valid
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue with sync’ing meta data and 5 star songs
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue where songs with “/” in their name’s would not copy
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed an issue where songs would not be displayed in the Finder after an import
- [Bug Fix] - Fixed a bug when importing songs on Jaguar systems

License: iPodRip will run, without limitation, for 10 sessions.  After you use all of the 10 sessions, you’ll need to purchase iPodRip to use any of the application’s functionality.

System Requirements: iPodRip works with Mac OS X 10.2 “Jaguar” and later, including Mac OS X 10.3 “Panther”. iPodRip works with any iPod, whether it be a Mac OS X or Windows formatted. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen as well as the iPod Mini are confirmed to work with iPodRip.

« Speck Products ships SkinTight case for 4G iPods

Apple launches iTunes Affiliate Program, 125 million songs sold »

Comments

To listen to songs on another computer without copying them, simply hit play or double click the song. You have your playlists, menubar controllers and menubar playlists.

As for the issue about deleting songs, I have spent the last 12hrs attempting to cause iPodRip to delete songs. I have failed to do so. I also searched iPodRip’s code for removeFileWithPath, a cocoa command to remove files and the only method that I would remove files and there is not a single instance. iTunes is the only culprit.

Posted by Developer on October 18, 2003 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

For one, I can’t believe what some people are claiming here.

I have *never* got any duplicates from using iPodRip *ever*.  iPodRip doesn’t delete stuff from your iPod, only iTunes does that.  And it does it without warning, yes.  That’s the RIAA Software for you—iTunes.  Although, I really can’t see how you would have managed to get it to sync with iTunes if you had no songs in your iTunes Library, then ended up with a bunch of duplicates.

That’s got to be an iTunes problem…

iPodRip works flawlessly for me.  Its featureset is far more compelling than other products on the mac and i had absolutely no hesitation to purchase it after using the free trial.

Posted by Ken Weir on October 21, 2003 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

Wow sounds like someone (cough cough ken weir cough) was paid by someone (cough cough littleappfactory cough cough) to talk quite positively about iPodRip. *clears throat* What was that? Huh? : )

Posted by kainjow on October 21, 2003 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

i don’t know if i’m using it wrong or what, but i couldn’t get ipodrip to transfer music from my ipod to itunes. it said it was working, but then when i looked at my itunes library, the music from my ipod wasn’t there. is there anything else i need to do to get it to work? i think i’d pay for this app if there was any documentation.

Posted by vondrook on October 22, 2003 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

p.s., i tried the unregistered version of iPod.iTunes and that seems to work just fine for me. is iPodRip supposed to work the same way?

Posted by vondrook on October 22, 2003 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

zanman:  there must be an applescript that can help you out.  check this link, it might help…

good luck.

btw… i use the ipody apple script to move music off my ipod.

Posted by Box on October 22, 2003 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

There are issues with syncing to iTunes on some machines but we have no idea why (it works perfectly on all our test machines). We would love some insight as to why this does not work (we are talking to iTunes via applescripts).

kainjow…nice of you to think that we can afford to do that…wish we could. smile Next time you want to diss someone’s software, make sure you don’t know them. Also, he has bought the software, one of our many, many satisfied customers.

Posted by Developer on October 22, 2003 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

That was only a joke and nothing serious at all. Please do not be offended by it - it’s just one of my random stupid postings on here.

And I wasn’t “dissing” your software at all. You guys have a fantastic application.

Posted by kainjow on October 22, 2003 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

I made a comment above that “i just erased iPodRip from my computer….until there is more clarification on this. ” I have to tell everyone however:

a couple of days ago I experienced the mysterious iTUNES “!” and loss of files while transferring them to another hard drive.
The ONLY solution to keep my playlists, ratings and files (after talking to apple, discussion boards and trying “everything”) was to import them from my iPOD.
I d/l’ed this program again and IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY!

It is an EXCELLENT product, and REALLY SAVED my butt and alot of HARD work (with 16gb of music).

EVERYTHING was restored back to normal.

the program is straightforward, and excellent.  Go to the website and you will see that the developer is very responsive to users comments, and is very open and honest about problems and solutions.

I have not yet sent in money for the program, but I definitely will!

Thanks again for a great product and great support!

Posted by alf on October 22, 2003 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

=WARNING=

I paid these people via Paypal and have still not recieved an activation code from them in over a week. So far, they have not responded to any of the email I have sent them. I don’t know if they are all on vacation or something that would give them a legit reason to be missing for a few days, but I wanted to warn anyone wanting to register this as to what happened to me. I will update this post if they resolve the situation.

Thanks!!

Posted by Fusion5 on October 30, 2003 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

=WARNING=

This is a follow up to the above: I have now had to file a fraud complaint with Paypal on these people. They still refuse to respond to my emails, and a forum post I made to their support website was deleted by the moderator, so they are obviously aware of my issue, and simply don’t care. If you are thinking of registering this program, proceed with extreme caution!!

Posted by Fusion5 on November 2, 2003 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

=Follow-Up=

After reporting the LittleAppFactory to the Paypal fraud investigation people, I magically get an email from them and a full refund, so the matter is now resolved with Paypal’s assistance.

Posted by Fusion5 on November 2, 2003 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

We are having issues that our server has been blacklisted as a spam server. We are changing our serial process to make sure every gets a serial without having e-mails sent out. Minor problem that will be fixed in due course.

Posted by Developer on November 2, 2003 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

Have you all forgot or not seen iTunes for windows.. prolly the best soft for your ipod. =)

Posted by Jonas on November 3, 2003 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Does iPodRip work with iTunes for Windows?

Posted by digia on November 8, 2003 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

iPodRip does not work on Windows. It does however import iPod’s formatted on Windows. We will be releasing iPodRip for Windows shortly, stay tuned.

Posted by Developer on November 9, 2003 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

is it me or is there a new version of this thing released every other day? should be up to about version 5 by the end of the week then.

Posted by trev on November 13, 2003 at 1:13 AM (PDT)

We have thousands of downloads a day and do our best to keep customers up to date with features that they have requested. If that means updating twice a week, so be it. smile

Posted by Developer on November 16, 2003 at 5:55 AM (PDT)

Are you having trouble with Kagi regisitrations? I bought a key yesterday and did not get an email today…more trouble with your email server?

Posted by Sheri on November 17, 2003 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

four posts above you say “iPodRip does not work on Windows. It does however import iPod’s formatted on Windows.”

what does that mean exactly?  will ipodrip enable me take the tunes off of my ipod (that was formatted and loaded with tunes by a mac using friend of mine) and put them onto my pc…then reformat for my ipod for windows and load up all my tunes and the ones that the ones i took off?

Posted by seif on November 17, 2003 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >