Mac: iSight may interfere with iPod | iLounge News

Mac: iSight may interfere with iPod

MacFixit reader, Bruce Nofrey is reporting “‘Like other users, I have also had problems updating my iPod with the iSight camera connected. The iPod would continue to have the ‘do not disconnect’ sign displayed - then the iPod would freeze ( clock not being updated) and finally my G4 tower would freeze. I have replaced one iPod and have talked to tech support when the second one did the same thing. We could not get the RESTORE function of the iPod Updater to recognize the iPod. Unplugging the iSight firewire cable from the computer will allow the iPod to be updated correctly.” Apple suggests installing iSight Updater 1.0.2 as noted in this Knowledge Base document.

« The iPod is “hard to use,” creates new CD ripping service

Design Your Own iPod Giveaway winners announced »

Comments

Yeah so there. It’s all crap, just as I expected.

Posted by I blame Lajo on April 2, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I’ve installed the updater and the iPod and iSight still don’t get along.  Want to get your Mac to freeze?  Hook up an iSight and an iPod at the same time.  Play the iPod through iTunes and then run Backup and backup files to the iPod.

Posted by hondo77 in Southern California on April 2, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I must have a miracle machine.  Mine runs great with both attached.

Posted by d00d on April 2, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I had a similar problem on my PC when I accidentally screwed up my iPod’s partitions trying to back some stuff from another machine on it.  I could not for the life of me get the restore function of the updater to work, and my ipod was pretty hosed.  I also had a regular firewire hard drive hooked up at the time.  When I unplugged it, my iPod could suddenly be restored.  I never figured out why that happened.  Normally I can run the restore with the other HD plugged in.  This makes me think the problem actually lies with the iPod somehow.

Posted by rob on April 2, 2004 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

“It just works.”

hmmm

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 2, 2004 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

Shock! Horror!
Apple Hardware incompatibility?

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on April 2, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

I figured this out last week but only after replacing a 15gig with a 20gig and using my tap plan at Comp usa. My 2nd gen. 10gig does not seem to have this problem and I have already installed the iSight updater???

Posted by Brandon on April 2, 2004 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

OK - had the same problem! The ipod would display ” do not disconnect” after I shut down. I had to reboot and manually eject the ipod.

Posted by ipod dude on April 3, 2004 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Notice no mac zealots commenting on this one! Welcome any mac users to a slight taste of the pc world wink

Posted by dmeineck on April 3, 2004 at 4:15 AM (PDT)

I had loads of similar problems, but I wasn’t sure whether it was the iSight or that I’d recently purchased the latest XO Play release for $14.99. My ipod never worked again either way.

Posted by bum rapist on April 3, 2004 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

WOW, macs are sooooooo unreliable….###### apple

Posted by macs fuggin suck @ss! on April 3, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

I don’t think Windows people say that Windows is so much more stable than OS293,450,433, but we get tired of Apple people saying “I never have a problem with MY computer.”

Computers have “hiccoughs” all the time—no matter who makes them.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 3, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

What the FK is a hiccough .... ?

Posted by Dr Hiccup on April 3, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

hiccough = “hiccup”
smile

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 3, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

I must be lucky my mac never has any minor or semi-minor problems, and its 4 years old! NOTE: I HAVE had around 4 major problems requireing a totally new install of my os with loss of all Data.  Despite the ocassional major flaw, I love my mac—but i have a pc for games. btw, i’ve nvr had this iSight problem.

Posted by I'm probobly just lucky.. on April 3, 2004 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

Macs are crap though, aren’t they… I mean, what’s the deal with needing different versions of software depending on which operating system you run? That’s a bit… well, Microsofty isn’t it?

Posted by You're not lucky, you're special on April 4, 2004 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

NO, Panther runs all mac software. What ru talking about, btw, despite what my last comment made it sound like, I LOVE my mac. the OS runs perfectly

Posted by The apparently not lucky but special one on April 4, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

I do not have the Firewire specs on the iSight, but most DV cameras, and presumably a web-cam like iSight, run the firewire bus at half speed (200MBits).  The iPod and storage devices use the full 400Mbits.  If twi peripherals are connected to the same Firewire bus that have differing bandwidths, the lower bandwidth prevails for the entire bus.

There is a thread here discussing the issue: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t53301-1.html

Like I said, the iSight might run at 400Mbits (I don’t have the specs), but this could be the reason.

Marc

Posted by Marc on April 4, 2004 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

I’ve been living with this problem since I got my iSight. I can’t leave it plugged in if I’m going to use my iPod for an update or something. If I do, the iPod will freeze. Also, if I was running an iChat session, that will freeze too. I haven’t had the whole machine lock up yet (at least not due to this) but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

Posted by Matt on April 5, 2004 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

what does an ipod do exactly?

Posted by michelle on May 24, 2004 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >